Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.66180%

Rogers WMP Cleveland era 22-16-13 resto.............

Well back around Christmas I saw these shells for sale on DFO. I watched them a bit knowing they'd be somewhat expensive to find all the parts for. But being a sucker for WMP and wanting a set of Rogers I bit and got them. I was going to wait to start a thread but cabin fever from the blizzard got the best of me. It's a interesting set of shells. Besides being a bit grubby they are in very nice shape and the WMP wrap tight as a drum.

22" bass Cleveland tag # 13015. This drum has the 58-60 Pirate script badge.

16" floor tom Cleveland tag # 16585 script badge.

13" tom Cleveland tag # 18857 script badge.

All Jasper shells with flat gray painted interiors.

Here's a pic as purchased. This will be a slow project but will post updates as things get done.

1 attachments
Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 11 years ago

Glenn, you might have cabin fever for a long time. I know you got what it takes to put together a nice kit with those shells. It will be a fun project for you to work on and for us to watch. I love WMP also.

Jeff C

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 11 years ago

^^^ sorry about the sideways pic there. Image would not fit the vertical way sorry.

So first thing was to wipe down/clean the shells and general inspection. The pirate script badge on the 22" bass was pretty crusty looking. Whatever chrome plating it has was long gone and badge had surface rust on it. I taped a sheet of paper over it and traced out the logo. I cut it out with a exacto knife, put the paper over the badge and carefully masked off the badge area. I actually did this twice as the first round of polishing didn't net the results I wanted. I took a small piece of 2500 emory wetsanding paper and went over the badge carefully. Since the chrome was long gone I wasn't sure what I'd find. Rust removal got down to the plated nickel layer and it was ok. So I polished the badge with my dremel polishing kit. And finished with some Mothers polish. So the badge is now cleaned up nice and has nickle finish. I *think* the badge had chrome as the top layer. It was pretty much gone and hard to tell exactly. So if anyone knows for sure please chime in I'd love to know.

First pic is the rusty badge masked off before the polish.

Second pic the after. Looking much better.

Badge on the 16" and 13" are very nice so those will just get polished as is.

I need a ton of parts as these were all bare shells. More to come as money permits!!

Glenn.

Posted on 11 years ago

From jccabinets

Glenn, you might have cabin fever for a long time. I know you got what it takes to put together a nice kit with those shells. It will be a fun project for you to work on and for us to watch. I love WMP also.Jeff C

Thanks Jeff! Yes 35" of snow and drifts 8' tall. Spent hours trying to shovel out this mess. Most of the town is still shutdown and roads closed. School is closed till at least Wed. Unreal. Last time snow this bad was 1978. :)

And thanks for the kind words buddy. I'm a sucker for a project. You'd think I'd know better by now.

Glenn.

Posted on 11 years ago

Wow on the snow. I'm in NE Mass and we got a foot or so with heavy drifting due to the high winds. Some of the folks down the street a bit are losing their houses from erosion at the oceanfront.

But on that project, do you have one B&B drum and two Bv drums?

Posted on 11 years ago

Dan, all the shells use B and B lugs. The bass and floor take the large ones and the 13" tom the peanut size.

Yes epic snow here for sure. Nothing is really plowed out well enough for anything non 4WD to get around yet. Most people (myself included) have been hoofing it on foot.

Glenn.

Posted on 11 years ago

Glenn - Snowbound? Best time in the world to get into a drum project!

If you decide to go with the more reliable beavertails, you'll only have to 'slot' one hole in each pair with a router. Slingerland used to drill one elongated hole and one regular hole on some of their metal shells, so it's a legitimate way to switch from B&B's to Beavertails. In the future, if you do decide to replace the B&B's, they will still fit and there won't be ugly extra holes all over the place. Slotting the top hole in each pair will accommodate -both- the BT's and the B&B's. BT's are the much better/stronger lugs.

Can't wait to see the end result on this project! Spectacular shells! A matching wood Dyna shell would be t-i-t-s!

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 11 years ago

GLenn,

Killer job on that logo!

Surrounded by drummers here! (I am a guitarist.)
-------------------------------------

1970/71? Ludwig Downbeat in Blue Oyster Pearl
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=33677
Posted on 11 years ago

John thanks!! You've been a VERY big help with these. :) I have a few things still in the works. Man your so right a nice wood dyna would be great to add. The few I've seen have been real expensive but I can hope and dream. Maybe one day.

Stephen, thanks man! It was uncharted territory for sure. But I'm pleased with the results.

Yes snowbound for sure!! I don't think we'll be able to get to work tomorrow either. There's just so much snow and nowhere to put it all. Some towns use frontloaders and dump trucks to cart some of it off the streets. It normally gets dumped in the beach and park parking lots. But those will fill up quickly.

We're now expecting sleet overnight. Which will maybe change to rain by morning and flood everything. Cool Dude

Glenn.

Posted on 11 years ago

nice onward and upward. . . . one day. . . . You will be done !!!!! Party

Keep em Flying ! ✈️
Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here