Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.66180%

Rogers WMP Cleveland era 22-16-13 resto.............

That is correct on the placement of the knobby floor tom leg mounts. They cannot be evenly spaced around the drum and do tend to land nearer one lug that the other.

Posted on 8 years ago

Thanks Dan good to know.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 8 years ago

From Dan Boucher

That is correct on the placement of the knobby floor tom leg mounts. They cannot be evenly spaced around the drum and do tend to land nearer one lug that the other.

Thanks also Dan. I know three legs can't be evenly spaced around an eight lug FT to form a perfect triangle, but they can be evenly spaced between lugs as they are on all the Daytons and Fullertons. I just find it curious as to why these off-centered leg mounts were standard on early Clevelands.

Glenn's pic of that factory installed half-washer is almost funny. I know everyone talks about the superior workmanship of the early Cleveland Jasper shells, but in the case of the few Clevelands which I've personally opened up, I was surprised at the rough drilling and splintering around factory installed mounts, and defects in seams and re-rings. If any of us here were to do similar workmanship on a restoration (like snipping a washer in half), it would instantly be labeled as "amateurish". Although the Cleveland Jasper shells sound great, I personally find the later Keller shells to built with more precision and attention to detail.

Just my :2Cents:

Mike

-No Guru... still learning more every day-
Posted on 8 years ago

From mchair303

Glenn,First, thanks for sharing the pics and update on this resto. I know you've been working on it for a while, and I was wondering how it was coming along. It's looking great! I love the idea of the second 16"FT to give you that classic BR "1 up, 2 down" setup (and you know Tommy P will agree). I applaud you for taking on the challenge of finding all the Cleveland hardware and B&B lugs to create a kit from bare shells. Clapping Happy2I noticed the factory-mounted leg collet on that second FT is not centered between the lugs. Is that normal? I only have one Cleveland drum (22" bass), so I'm not personally familiar with Rogers' earlier Jasper shells.Keep us updated on this project.Mike

Mike!

... and I DO agree with the classic BR set up! It was great to find/add that second 16X16, and that moves this project along towards completion nicely. Lookin' great Glenn!

Tommyp

Posted on 8 years ago

Thanks Tommy! And for all your help and advice on and off forum also. I do appreciate it!

Mike it's funny you mention this about the Cleveland shells. My very first kit was a 5pc early Fullerton and I gigged them hard. Great construction as I recall. This was back in the early 70's so details are fuzzy. But I do remember I could have the worst used up heads on them and still get a great tone. These shells do look a bit rough inside with the flat grey paint and all. But with coated heads it kinds of hides that and the "unique" fastener choices. They sound fantastic too.

I have a full set of coated Remo Ambassadors on the way from Sweetwater. They have some nice prices! I use them quite a bit for things. I can give my Radio Kings their heads back. :) That's another project of mine soon to be finished.

Thanks everyone.

Glenn.

Posted on 8 years ago

Gonna be a beauty Glenn! Wish I could talk intelligently about the drums like the other guys here.

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 8 years ago

From jccabinets

Gonna be a beauty Glenn! Wish I could talk intelligently about the drums like the other guys here.

Me too Jeff! Me too! Thanks buddy!

Glenn.

Posted on 8 years ago

Ok got my new heads today. Great service and prices from Sweetwater. Ordered at 3am 10-29 they shipped same day (free) and Fed Ex delivery 8:30 am today 10-31. Happy Halloween!! No local stores to buy from and GC is a good ride in traffic. Playing with the swivo tom mount a bit for better position. Think I'm happy where it is for now. And nice to have some fresh heads. Can someone tell me where the best place to get felt strips? Thickness and width? Fabric store have it? One I get the bass logo's I'd like to add some to muffle a smidge. I know these had calf as original. Just not in the budget sadly. So Remo's will do.

2 attachments
Glenn.

Posted on 8 years ago

Wow! Super nice sir!

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 8 years ago

Thank you Jeff!

Glenn.

Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here