Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

Restoring 66' Ludwig Club Dates

From FFR428

John good call sending them to Precision. Nice of them to trim the wrapped shells free too. Well of course after you pay shipping to and fro. You have a good amount of $$$ wrapped up in these so doing it right is the way to go. I've only done 1 wrap job and I'm not very good at it yet. But it taught me things to make it easier the 2nd time around. Your well seasoned at these things so I can imagine it's a tough situation your facing there. I guess the green sparkle wrap is much thicker than the burgundy you used on the RB's? I'm sure they'll be in good hands at Precision. :)

The green is not a 'sparkle' wrap, it's a 'glass' wrap, two very different animals. The sparkle wraps do not have any glass in them, just the plastics they use to make the stuff. The sheets are thinner and easier to cut. But this stuff, is like cutting stone. The razor-knife sounds like it's grinding, not cutting. The guy at Precision told me, You're wasting your time trying to cut that stuff with a razor-knife! Won't work. The glass wrap is thicker, heavier in weight and much more dense than regular sparkle wraps.

Precision is a great company to deal with and they do the best work around. I'm grateful to them for offering to do the job gratis (with me paying shipping both ways.) I'm only in for $650 at this point, so it's still a nice deal and I'm enjoying putting the kit together for my grandson, so it's all good.

Thanks longjohn, thanks, Jeff!

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 11 years ago

Would you just order pre cut if you were to do it over? If so would you have them cut a little shorter for sake of the heads not fitting?

Good luck brother!

Posted on 11 years ago

From ec_curtis

Would you just order pre cut if you were to do it over? If so would you have them cut a little shorter for sake of the heads not fitting?Good luck brother!

Curtis - not with this stuff... too expensive and it's way too easy to make a mistake with pre-trimmed pieces. If you don't wind it onto the drum -perfectly- you're screwed. That's why they allow overlap on the ends. If you miss by a little going around, after you trim away the excess down below the bearing edge, all is good. There is room for error with larger pieces. Not so with pre-cut to size.

John

Posted on 11 years ago

Sorry you are have a bear of a time with this project, but like other replies have mentioned, it will all be worth it after your grandson lays down the first groove on his new drums.

I re-wrapped my son's Gretsch kit with Blue Glass Glitter and I can second that this stuff is thick and the edges are sharp. I ordered my wrap pre-cut from Jammin Sams, which uses the "tape method" to adhere to the shells. It was my first re-wrap project, but the fact that I used pre-cut wrap with tape and not glue made the project a success. If I had to cut the wrap to size after gluing, I would have been in major trouble. Spring clamping the wrap to the shell and doing multiple test fittings was the only way to get the wrap straight. The tape that sticks to the shell is medium bond, so you can lift it and relocate if necessary. It's the high bond tape at the other end that sticks to the wrap you need to worry about. Once it's down, it's going to be a lot more difficult to almost impossible to lift to correct once it's down.

So cool that Precision is going to trim back the edges for your heads to fit. Do your Evans heads say Evans 360? The 360 design was actually in production before they started printing Evan 360. There is a date code on the collar that will tell you when it was made. I think I read Nov. 2012 was around the start of the new 360 design. It might take a while for the old style non-360 heads to get out of circulation, because I was at GC the other day and they still had a full box of Evans 14" heads with a 2010 date code.

Good luck, I'm sure your shells will come back looking great.

-Tim

Posted on 11 years ago

John,

This has been a great thread. So sorry about the glass wrap issue. I did a Ludwig 8x15 concert snare from 1964 in a glass wrap. I used Jammin' Sam's precut method and used tape as I didn't feel like I had the skill set for using glue. Unfortunately, the Ludwig shell had the ubiquitous "hump" issue and the glass wrap did not really want to conform due to it's thickness. It came out OK, but I'll re-do it in a sparkle or pearl at some point.

Looking forward to seeing a picture of your grandson with that kit.

tnsquint
Very proud owner of a new Blaemire Snare 6.5 x 14 made by Jerry Jenkins "Drumjinx"
Posted on 11 years ago

Thanks all for the warm support and your replies.

> Looking forward to seeing a picture of your grandson with that kit.

Me too! It's what is keeping me going at this point. I've been refurbishing kits/drums for 25 years. It's frustrating for me to have to stop work mid-stream because something insurmountable came up. It's a first for me, I've always been able to find a way to do it myself. This one stopped me dead in my tracks.

Photos when they're done. Thanks for following along. Stay tuned to this Bat-Channel!

John

Posted on 11 years ago

John, letting you know I'm sending positive vibes from just across the way and ready for another sit down whenever you are and that any assistance you may require is at hand.

Funny (peculiar) thing is that when I stumbled onto this kit I had no intention of selling them. I thought I'd maybe try to get 'em back in shape after I was done messing with those RB Gretschs I got. Now it feels like this all worked out the way it was meant to be. The Clubbies will have a new lease on life along with a fitting owner. Thanks for sharing the pics and the story.

Believe it or else!
Posted on 11 years ago

From thornbeck

So cool that Precision is going to trim back the edges for your heads to fit. Do your Evans heads say Evans 360? The 360 design was actually in production before they started printing Evan 360. There is a date code on the collar that will tell you when it was made. I think I read Nov. 2012 was around the start of the new 360 design. It might take a while for the old style non-360 heads to get out of circulation, because I was at GC the other day and they still had a full box of Evans 14" heads with a 2010 date code.Good luck, I'm sure your shells will come back looking great.-Tim

Tim what part is the date code? I see a 13C23 on mine which if the date code I'd guess would be 2013-March-23. First 2 digits the year/letter A-L month/last 2 digits day of the month? Mine have the Level 360 logo on them.

Thanks

Glenn.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 11 years ago

John, I used Remo coated emporers on my kit, They fit over the glass snug but I didnt need to fight them. I hope that helps. Also, I had a heck of a time cutting my wrap. Good luck the rest of the way.

Bobby Myers
Legacy Drum Shop - For Drummers By Drummers
www.legacydrumshop.com
https://www.facebook.com/LegacyDrumShop
Posted on 11 years ago

From FFR428

Tim what part is the date code? I see a 13C23 on mine which if the date code I'd guess would be 2013-March-23. First 2 digits the year/letter A-L month/last 2 digits day of the month? Mine have the Level 360 logo on them. Thanks Glenn.

Yep, I'm pretty sure that's the sequence. So an Evans head that doesn't have the 360 logo, but does have the 360 collar design might read 12L16 for 2012-Dec-16.

-Tim

Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here