Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

Restoring 66' Ludwig Club Dates

Awww $h!t John sorry to hear the wrap is breaking your stones~! And even worse the heads don't fit. Those are the Level 360 heads too that supposedly give you more wiggle room. I guess they don't. Do you know anyone that has one of those wrap cutters you could borrow? Would that even work trimming down below the bearing edges? Hope you can find a workable solution.

The snare looks beautiful. I really like the green sparkle wrap too. Classy stuff. Yes take your time. You do great work and will get over this hump.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 11 years ago

Jeff - yes, better me than you... lol You make me feel like the experimental chimp at a cosmetics factory... every one standing around staring at the poor monkey with the smeared lipstick and eye-shadow.

Glenn - I'm going to try a small hand saw/hobby-saw. I'll draw a line at the cut and just work my way around, careful not to cut into the shell. I wouldn't use a Dremel for fear of damaging the bearing edges with a slip of the hands or something. I'll try the small hand saw and I'll let you know how it works out. Thanks for encouragement... this job is frustrating to execute, but very rewarding when it's done.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 11 years ago

These look awesome. Love the bonham green sparkle! Thanks for sharing

1960-61 ludwig sky blue pearl 22/16/12
1967 ludwig acrolite snare
1972 ludwig vistalite clear 22/14/13/14 matching snare
1970's MIJ tempro pro snare
Posted on 11 years ago

From Purdie Shuffle

Bad news!This glass wrap is so thick and brittle, it's almost impossible to cut! It took me almost -two hours- last night to trim up one bearing edge of excess wrap on the rack tom. Arghhhh! Frustrating as hell. I'm using a utility knife with fresh blades and it's still very s-l-o-w going. Glass wraps... tough stuff to work with. Challenging, even for an old-hand like me. I do not recommend the job to novices. If you've wrapped five or more kits in your time, then it's a job you can attempt. But I'll tell you now, you'll draw on every scrap of experience you have to get the job done right. I rate it a strong 8 on the difficulty scale.John

Hey John,

Sorry to hear of the slight set-back on the kit. Looks great though!

I take it, this is not the "dreams of green glass" you are talking about? ;)

"Failing to prepare, is preparing to fail". John Wooden

Blaemire / Jenkins-Martin drums.

http://www.jenkinsmartindrums.com/
Posted on 11 years ago

> I take it, this is not the "dreams of green glass" you are talking about? ;)

LOL - Not quite, my friend. Storm Trooper Putting together 2, 3 G's for Jerry isn't easy for me. But as soon as I can....

> Sorry to hear of the slight set-back on the kit. Looks great though!

Thanks, I think it looks cool too. The set-back is more than just a little though. This stuff is -seriously- hard to cut! I'm blowing through box-cutter blades like a tornado. My hands are sore from handling files and the material itself. The back-side is rough, like fine grit sandpaper, it's taking it's toll on my hands just from handling it. I don't like wearing gloves while I work, but working with this wrap is forcing me to.

It'll get done and done right, I'm determined. It's just turning into a mofo because of the difficulty trimming this wrap. Has anybody else ever rewrapped in glass? I could use a couple of tips for cutting this crap right about now.

John

Posted on 11 years ago

John,

not trying to be funny...I don't know cause I'm not there.. but would an actual Glass Cutter be worth a try.. You know the old roller wheel type ??

Cheers

'77 Slingerland 51N,Super Rock 24,18,14,13.. COW 8,10 Concert toms
'69 Slingerland Hollywood Ace
'75 Rogers Dynasonic 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'77-78 Slingerland 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'78-79 Slingerland 5 1/4 x14 8 lug COB
'79 Biman 5 1/4, Acrolite
'82 Slingerland 5 1/4 x 14. Festival COS
'84 Tama MasterCraft Superstar 6.5 x 14, 10 lug Rosewood
'98 Slingerland (Music YO) 6" 10 Lug Maple.. NOS
Zildjian, Sabian , UFIP & Paiste mix.
Posted on 11 years ago

longjohn - Not funny at all. Actually it's an intelligent suggestion... my wife suggested it yesterday herself. A glass cutter can't be used because of all the plastics they use during manufacturing. No 'glass' to cut, just very tiny shards in a sea of plastic and what feels/acts like, concrete! This stiff is more like cutting stone than it is cutting glass.

Important Note:

For anybody who is contemplating using modern glass wrap to cover a set of drums as a DIY project... DON'T! Pay a professional to do it.

I just got off the phone with the guy who cuts all the wrap at Precision Drum Co. (George) When I asked him what I could use to trim the wrap he told me that, they use special shears to cut the wrap. I told him the wrap was already on the drums, so I am unable to trim using shears, special ones or not. He then recommended I use files to trim the wrap back to the bearing edge. I told him I had already done that on the rack tom, but that because of the thickness of the wrap, I an unable to get heads on the drums. At that point he told me; "You'll have to send them in to me, (at Precision,) so I can cut back the wrap here, where I have the proper tools."

He told me that there are no tools/cutters I can buy to do the job myself. In other words... not a job for Do It Yourselfers! As long as I'm willing to pay for shipping both ways, Precision is going to trim the drums for me for free. He's going to cut the wrap back 3/8ths back from the bearing edges so I can put heads on the drums and tune them properly. But it is taking an expert and specialized shop equipment to do it.

So, let all be warned! Glass wrap = extra expense and the use of professionals. Not a DIY job!

I'm going to ship the shells to Precision tomorrow or Monday, the latest. I'll keep everyone posted.

Hope this experience helps somebody else out in the future...

John

Posted on 11 years ago

Well I'm sure your warning won't go unheeded.. and good luck with a speedy outcome.. We are all hanging in for the big presentation...

All the best..

'77 Slingerland 51N,Super Rock 24,18,14,13.. COW 8,10 Concert toms
'69 Slingerland Hollywood Ace
'75 Rogers Dynasonic 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'77-78 Slingerland 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'78-79 Slingerland 5 1/4 x14 8 lug COB
'79 Biman 5 1/4, Acrolite
'82 Slingerland 5 1/4 x 14. Festival COS
'84 Tama MasterCraft Superstar 6.5 x 14, 10 lug Rosewood
'98 Slingerland (Music YO) 6" 10 Lug Maple.. NOS
Zildjian, Sabian , UFIP & Paiste mix.
Posted on 11 years ago

John good call sending them to Precision. Nice of them to trim the wrapped shells free too. Well of course after you pay shipping to and fro. You have a good amount of $$$ wrapped up in these so doing it right is the way to go.

I've only done 1 wrap job and I'm not very good at it yet. But it taught me things to make it easier the 2nd time around. Your well seasoned at these things so I can imagine it's a tough situation your facing there. I guess the green sparkle wrap is much thicker than the burgundy you used on the RB's?

I'm sure they'll be in good hands at Precision. :)

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 11 years ago

Thank you for being honest and sharing your greif with us, we have learned from your experience. But once you get over the hump the project will become fun again, and just imagine the look on that young mans face when you give it to him, all the frustration will have dissapeared. Hang in there!

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here