Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.66180%

WFL Buddy Rich Super Classic Restore

Hey guys I was fortunate to pick this kit up last night. I think it is a Buddy Rich Super Classic. The wraps are nice (mellow yellow) and intact and the shells are in round. Need to wipe the dust off. It doesn't have all the stands, pedal, or cymbals stands though. It has some pretty rusty parts that I hope to get looking better. A lot of the calf skin were on there but a lot of them are ripped. The 16" calf skins are still nice. May be able to use the bass drum res side on a 20" drum because of where the damage is. I got this kit with a 15" WFL snare also besides the BR classic snare that comes with the kit. Didn't look up the model yet. It is nice with just a little cracking in the wrap.

Anywho going to throw some pics up now and maybe some throughout the process of restoring this beauty.

Posted on 9 years ago

More pics of the kit.

Posted on 9 years ago

Heres a few more of the set and a cymbal he gave me with it. I do not see any stamp on this cymbal at all. Its 12" and real thin. I believe the last pic is just an old parts of a music stand. Please correct me if Im wrong.

Posted on 9 years ago

Thats a great find. Those have mellowed in color perfectly i think. Will be a good restoration project that should be very rewarding. Have fun!

Mike

Posted on 9 years ago

I would say, "You Scored!"

Posted on 9 years ago

Yesterday I started to get the drums stripped down to soak parts. Started with the bass drum. Quite a bit of dirt on these. The bass drum had the calf skin heads on still. As I took the hoop off I see the separation of the re-ring. My heart sank a bit. As Im looking closer i see the wrinkle in the wrap. The hoop was covering this when I was checking them out to buy them. Trying to see if this was pushed in or what. No cracks inside at all. More pics to follow these.

Posted on 9 years ago

Today I went to the auto parts store to pick up more Evaporust for my parts to soak in. For some reason they didn't have it but had this Rustoleum product. Worked really well. If you can look at how bad the legs of the FT looked before as well as the claw.

Posted on 9 years ago

Heres more pics of the drums naked. Going to post more of the bass drum damage.

Posted on 9 years ago

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions please don't hesitate to give your input. I want to fix this right.

Have i heard that old bass drum shells are out of round often? Maybe not one this small though?

Posted on 9 years ago

First of all nice score on some amazing drums! I love this kit, and it is cleaning up wonderful. That kick drum can be repaired pretty easy. I think I would figure out the outside and inside radius's and cut out some forms out of a 2x8 or even some 3/4" plywood. 1 1/2" wood would need to be cut out on a band saw, but you could use a hand held jig saw to cut 3/4" material. The forms will be used to hold the drum in round while the glue sets up and to act like jaws of a vise. The forms just need to be long enough to cover the damaged area, I have done this with success. Get some slow setting glue (I never use it so I cant recommend anything) to work with, not Tighbond 2, I used it and it sets too fast. Just take your time and remove any little splinters or broken wood that will keep the parts from clamping up tight, never depend on glue to fill any voids, the parts must come together nice and tight. Do a few dry runs to get your clamps set and ready. The wrap will be the strange part of this, maybe you will have to warm it up so it will come back to its original shape. Worst case would be to make a couple of cuts in the wrap to allow it to move. I know you can do this, take pics and ask questions. Have fun!

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here