Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

Project: Gretsch Mid 60's Round Badge

Hello all, new member to the site, long time lurker.

I have been playing drums for quite a few years now, my everyday set is a Gretsch Renown '57 Bop Kit in Motor City Red, but that is a whole other post.

My father played drums as a teenager, and I have for quite some time had my eye on them as they were in my uncle's possession. Less than a week ago, my uncle crated and shipped them to me.

The pics are as they arrived. Based on the badges and serial numbers, drum sizes, and number of drums, they appear to be mid 60's Progressive Jazz in Aqua Satin Flame. The ride and high hat are all Zildjian from the 60's as well.

The front claws and tension rods are MIA, along with the tension rods and lower tone control for the floor tom.

Everything else is there, however the Floating Action bass pedal needs a new strap, spring, and a thorough cleaning.

I have looked online and was debating replacement of the satin wraps, due to the age, and some imperfections in the current covers. As these were my fathers I am not intending to sell them, but rather get as close to "like new" as possible and play as a second set at home.

As far as the hardware, I have removed all components from the snare and restored with a 4 step process- Bon Ami, Brasso, Mothers Chrome Polish, Meguiar's Cleaner Wax to finish. I have taken before and after pics of the astonishing difference in the metal which I will post next.

I am not sure what I am going to do with the Floating Action pedal, restore, or perhaps replace with a Speed King.

As I mentioned, I have been playing for a while, this is a 3rd set for me, and a DIY project. Any advice, info, or comments are welcome.

3 attachments
Posted on 10 years ago

Beautiful kit! Well-worth restoring. Before you go for a re-wrap (which will cut the value of the kit in half,) look into using the Novus 3, 2, 1, step polishes on the shells. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the results.

Get heads on those drums asap to help insure they don't go out of round. The missing parts although expensive, are easily available. You're going to love the sound of those!

Enjoy them... and, Welcome to VDF!

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 10 years ago

Thanks for the info, I'll check out the Novus. I don't really want to replace the wrap, not too concerned about value as I plan to keep, but I know what you mean. I like the look of the aqua satin as it is.

As far as the heads, I ordered a set of Fiberskyns today, so they will be installed shortly.

Just finished doing some cleaning to the cymbals, used Bon Ami, and Brasso- made a huge difference. The cymbals sound great, looking forward to getting the drums in working condition as well.

Posted on 10 years ago

Took all the snare hardware off for a recondition, turned out pretty well.

Posted on 10 years ago

Here are a few more, the throw off and rear strainer.

Posted on 10 years ago

Here is the difference in the tone control knob and the rims.

Posted on 10 years ago

Finished cleaning up the high tom hardware tonight, looks fantastic. Ordered the replacement tone control for the floor tom and bass claws and tension rods from ebay today, and a few pieces to refurb the pedal, as well as the novus kit in hopes of restoring the wraps to their former glory. More pics soon to follow.

Posted on 10 years ago

Scrubbing bubbles works wonders on satin flame finishes. Worked the best of all cleaners and tricks I used on my Gretsch kt.

Sonor SQ2 10 14 18 American Walnut
L.A. Camco 12 14 18 Moss Green
Gretsch Round Badge 12 14 18 w/snare Champagne
Gretsch Round Badge 12 14 20 w/snare Burgundy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhdcpleTKlI

82nd ABN DIV OEF OIF Combat Infantry Veteran
Posted on 10 years ago

Oh thats a good idea, did you water it down, spray right on the drum, what worked best for you?

Posted on 10 years ago

Isnt Bon Ami a scouring powder like Comet?? That would scratch the hardware!!

Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here