Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 123.24843%

Looking for feedback on 9 piece Emerald Green Pearl Gretsch Stop Sign Badge Drum Set

Looking for feedback on a rare 9 piece Emerald Green Pearl Gretsch Stop Sign Badge Drum Set

I’m the second owner of a 9 piece Emerald Green Pearl Gretsch Stop Sign Badge Drum Set. First, I’m looking to identify the manufacturing date(s) if possible. Second, I’d like to hear thoughts on a range of it’s value. This maybe extremely difficult as I haven’t seen a like kit being sold in all my year’s of looking. Third, I’d like opinions on whether or not its financially better to sell it as one kit or break it up into two kits.

Information to help the dating process. My first drum teacher was the original owner of the 2 bass drums, 2 floor toms, and 4 tom toms and Gretsch hardware. I believe he already had the kit when I started taking lessons with him in July of 1973. I’ve “heard” that the Emerald Green Pearl finish was only available in the first few years of the Stop Sign Badge years. The snare (also a Stop Sign Badge) was added to the kit in the 2000’s. Attached are pictures of one of the bass drums tag and the snare tag so you can see the difference. Also attached, are general pictures of the drums. Note: I removed all of the mufflers off of the base drums, floor toms and tom toms because I didn’t like how they affected the sound of the drums. I don’t believe I have that hardware anymore but I continue to search for them.

Here are the sizes, model numbers, and serial numbers:

Bass Drum 24x14 (right) – Tag is Model 4269 / Serial 12394 (mount on the right side for the 15” tom) and spurs model 4966

Bass Drum 24x14 (left) – Tag is Model 4269 / Serial 12395 (mount on the left side for the 12” tom) and spurs model 4966 (missing one spur)

Tom Tom 12x8 – Tag is Model 4415 / Serial 12410

Tom Tom 13x9 – Tag is Model 4416 / Serial 10296

Tom Tom 14x10 – Tag is Model 4420 / Serial 12397

Tom Tom 15x12 – Tag is Model 4421 / Serial 12396

Floor Tom 16x16 – Tag is Model 4418 / Serial 12398 (with 3 legs Model 4930)

Floor Tom 18x18 – Tag is Model 4423 / Serial 12399 (with 4 legs Model 4931)

Snare Drum is Chrome over Brass 10 lugs 14x5 – Tag is Model 4165 / Serial 123362 (has its drum muffler)

Other original Gretsch hardware I received with the drums includes:

Rail Consolette Left Bass Drum Tom Holder – Model 4941/1

Rail Consolette Right Bass Drum Tom Holder – Model 4941/1

Double Tom Holder Model 4936 with Double Tom Floor Stand Model 4829

2 Gretsch “Monster” Cymbal Floor Stands Model 4825 (not heavy duty by today’s standards)

Other non-Gretsch hardware, cymbals, electronic drums, travel cases and accessories available:

1 Sound Percussion Heavy Duty Cymbal Stand with Boom

1 low grade cymbal Stand

Ludwig Snare Stand - low grade but functional

Slingerland Hi Hat Stand – not in great condition but functional

2 Bass Drum Pedals (1970s) – Brand ASBA / Model Caroline / Made in France

Drum Throne #1 – Ludwig with backrest (extremely rare)

Drum Throne #2 – Rogers extra cushion

Sabian – 20” Medium Ride

Camber II – 16” Crash

Camber II – 14” Top Medium Hi Hat and 14” Bottom Medium Hi Hat

Remo Roto Toms 6” 8” 10” with stand

2 cowbells with 1 cowbell holder

1 Tama Tom Holder Stand (I used it to mount early 1980s electronic drums)

3 Boss Dr Pad electronic drums from the early 1980s (basically, they offer percussion sounds) I’m not sure these are worth anything at this point.

Humes & Berg Vulcanized Fibre Drum Cases for 2 Bass Drums, 2 Floor Toms, and 4 Rack Toms. The Straps on both Bass Drum cases need to be replaced and one handle needs to be replaced.

Slobeat Trap bag 28x10x12

Trap Case 25x25x14 – probably only useful to ship items in. I think it’s too degraded to use for standard gigging.

Extra Remo Drum Heads - 12” Diplomat Batter (clear), 12” Fiberskin 2 Super (white), 12” C.S Batter (clear with dot), 12” Ambassador Batter (white) 12” Ambassador Batter (clear), 13” Ambassador Batter (white), 13” Diplomat Batter (clear), 14” Diplomat Snare (clear), 16” Diplomat Batter (clear), 16” Ambassador Batter (white), 16” Pin Stripe (clear)

3 (12”, 14”, and 16”) Cosmic Percussion by LP rubber practice pads that are placed on the drums.

Thanks for helping me out! Tim

Posted on 2 years ago

If you had two 12's the option of separation would be there. But then, you're not the factory.

As one kit, is the way I would do it. I would consider a Rock or Metal band ad online. Don't let the kit separate as a shell pack keep it one is my advise. Very nice kit.

I have a similar Phonic kit, But your roto toms have nice handle levers, I got nuts and a wrench. Found two levers over the years but they don't match.

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 2 years ago

Beautiful, MATCHED Gretsch drums! Wow! You don't see many matched-drum kits these days, much less a large kit like that. AND it's a rare and beautiful finish, too! Nice!

If it was a bop kit, it would be easier to evaluate because the Gretsch bop kits are what everyone wants. I really have no idea what a Gretsch "monster" rock kit or any monster size kit is fetching these days. I would guess that large kits are somewhat impractical in the sense that they are hard to move and time consuming to set up. If you want to put new heads on all the drums, then it's going to cost hundreds of dollars. They are also hard to sell because of the inherent high cost of shipping and all the logistics involved with properly packaging them. However, for the "man cave" ("she shed") individuals, this could be just the ticket!

I'd probably look at what a few contemporary Gretsch kits of that size would go for in order to get a ball park figure. Personally, I'd rather have a vintage Gretsch kit than a new one, but at least doing so would give you an idea of what Gretsch's own market research informs them of what customers are willing to pay. While they aren't new drums, they do have lots of things going for them.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 2 years ago

Thanks for the feedback Oddball and O-lugs. Very helpful.

Posted on 2 years ago

Emerald Green Pearl began in the RB era ..

but yea.

serial numbers.

according to the R.G. gretsch bible +/-

10296-12399 fit into 1972.

the snare 123362 into 1981

.................................................. ......Joe
Posted on 2 years ago

I can see I think both bass drums have a Rail. That's Good.

I don't see how the two toms are fitting on the one rail on each bass.

I'd almost break into two sets. Remove all cymbal and hat/snare stands/ separate/ Cymbals/ roto toms separate/

And concentrate on on offering two sets (either available with snare at extra cost)

Drums Only.

But I'd clear all the clutter (err the extra stuff) around them. And take pics of small tom and bass drum mounts, spurs, floor tom brackets; details

it's an amazing group o' Gretsch you have there

never seen such all EGPearl in one place : )

there is a 5pc set on Reverb here's the link

https://reverb.com/item/54205458-gretsch-vintage-rock-n-roll-outfit-in-green-oyster

ps; maybe keep a set 1/2 for yourself

Posted on 2 years ago

Thanks for the manufacturing dates, JDA.

Actually the 13” and 14” toms are mounted by a stand between the bass drums.

Yeah, its probably better to just focus on the drums themselves.

Still undecided on whether to break them up into two kits or stay with one.

If I do two kits, one would be the 12” TT, 16” FT and 24” BD while the other would be 13” TT, 14” TT, 15” TT, 18” FT, and 24” TT.

Posted on 2 years ago

wow.......Car Driving2Cool1

Posted on 2 years ago

Hi Tim!

First... Welcome to the forum!

That is one LARGE and BEAUTIFUL set of vintage 70's Gretsch drums! You just don't see many sets in this finish, let alone a MONSTER set in this finish!

OddBall, O-Lugs and jda have given you some good, sound, advice. I really can't add much to what they provided. Best of luck with whatever you decide!

-Mark

Posted on 2 years ago

Thanks Mark. I appreciate everyone’s thoughts. This is a really nice forum you have here. Also, I have some old drum catalogs that you may not have and would want to post with your other ones. Attached is a picture of the covers. If you are interested, let me know.

Posted on 2 years ago
Action Another action Something else here