Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

1965 Ludwig Super Classic BDP Project

Purdie

I have to spend time tuning. I bought a tunebot to help. I also think that it changes as the heads break in.

Posted on 7 years ago

When you tune them up just make sure you have a good spread (tone-wise) from drum to drum on the kit. As long as the drums are (at least) a half-step apart in tone, sympathetic snare buzz shouldn't be a problem any longer. It's when the drums are tuned closely in pitch that the buzz can really reach annoying levels. Put the Tunebot to good use! :D

If it helps... I always tune my drums to the first two notes of Here Comes The Bride. Put the first note on the floor tom and the second note on the rack tom. A treat for your ears when you play runs on the toms. The technical name for this tuning is; tuning in fourths. The first two notes of Here Comes The Bride are a 'fourth' apart on the tonal scale. The tuning sits well on the kit. Try it.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 7 years ago

From Purdie Shuffle

When you tune them up just make sure you have a good spread (tone-wise) from drum to drum on the kit. As long as the drums are (at least) a half-step apart in tone, sympathetic snare buzz shouldn't be a problem any longer. It's when the drums are tuned closely in pitch that the buzz can really reach annoying levels. Put the Tunebot to good use! :DIf it helps... I always tune my drums to the first two notes of Here Comes The Bride. Put the first note on the floor tom and the second note on the rack tom. A treat for your ears when you play runs on the toms. The technical name for this tuning is; tuning in fourths. The first two notes of Here Comes The Bride are a 'fourth' apart on the tonal scale. The tuning sits well on the kit. Try it.John

That is interesting John, Im gonna try it.

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 7 years ago

John

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put some real time into the tuning. Today, I'm going to carefully try the Novus 3. If it works well, I may try it on the other drums to try and get closer to the color under the lugs.

I got one baseball bat muffler yesterday and maybe one will arrive today. The third one will probably be Monday.

More to follow.

Posted on 7 years ago

From Purdie Shuffle

When you tune them up just make sure you have a good spread (tone-wise) from drum to drum on the kit. As long as the drums are (at least) a half-step apart in tone, sympathetic snare buzz shouldn't be a problem any longer. It's when the drums are tuned closely in pitch that the buzz can really reach annoying levels. Put the Tunebot to good use! :DIf it helps... I always tune my drums to the first two notes of Here Comes The Bride. Put the first note on the floor tom and the second note on the rack tom. A treat for your ears when you play runs on the toms. The technical name for this tuning is; tuning in fourths. The first two notes of Here Comes The Bride are a 'fourth' apart on the tonal scale. The tuning sits well on the kit. Try it.John

Interesting way of putting it! I've never thought of it that way, I'll have to give that a shot :D

Luke

IN SEARCH OF:
  • 1964-1966 Rogers 9x13 rack tom in silver sparkle. Beavertail lugs, flat grey Cleveland tag interior
  • 1964-1966 Rogers 22 OR 24x14 bass drum in silver sparkle. Beavertail lugs, flat grey Cleveland tag interior
  • 1959 Rogers Holiday 5x14 snare drum in blue sparkle. Serial number #13382. Large double sided bread and butter lugs. Part of my kit that was split up before I purchased it. Bring the snare home!
Posted on 7 years ago

Here are 2 photos of my jazz festival snare after using Novus 3, then 2, then 1. the shell still has discoloring but I don't think additional applications of Novus 3 will help and I am worried that it may do more damage than good at this point. The shell is improved but did not clean up like the other shells after using only Novus 2 on them. I'm putting the hardware back on the toms and bass drum. I'm going to let the jazz festival shell sit a little bit. If anyone has any suggestions on fixing the discoloration on the snare shell, I would appreciate hearing them. Thanks

2 attachments
Posted on 7 years ago

The hardware is back on. Ready for heads.

Here are photos of the 8x12, 9x13, and 16x16 toms

Posted on 7 years ago

Here are two photos of the 14x20 kick.

2 attachments
Posted on 7 years ago

This one is coming out beautifully. Careful, you might get hooked and have to do a sequel!

By the way, I noticed that Precision was able to do a single outside cut on the edges. I'm used to seeing both and inside and outside cut. What did you make of that part of their work?

Posted on 7 years ago

Dan

Thanks. Not sure what a single outside cut is. I think Precision did their normal bearing edges. Could just be that the photos don't show the edges very well.

Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here