Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

1965 Ludwig Super Classic BDP Project

I bought this player's kit about a year and a half ago. I am retiring in 2 weeks so I took them apart and sent the shells to Precision Drum in Pleasant Valley NY to get the bearing edges cut, plug some holes and check them over in general.

I will be posting some photos of my progress for you all to have a look and I may have an question or two along the way. I am using a lot of the ideas that I have picked up from this forum along the way.

Attached is what the kit looked like when I first got it.

I hope you enjoy my project. I am excited to get the shells back and use the life time supply of Novus 2 and 1 that I have bought.

1 attachments
Posted on 7 years ago

Here are the first few photos chrome cleaning and shell cleaning stuff and finished bass drum hoops

Posted on 7 years ago

Here are photos of the bass drum hardware after polishing.

One question I have is if the cymbal mounts and floor tom mounts need a gasket. The tom rack mount and the bass drum leg mounts have gaskets.

Thanks

Posted on 7 years ago

Here is the polished hardware for the jazz festival snare and 16 inch floor tom. I have to polish the chrome on the 12 inch and 13 inch rack toms. My 12 inch tom was added to the kit and it is a 1967 with the small lugs. second guessing myself on not getting it drilled for the larger lugs while it is up at Precision Drum.

Also have some non-original screws, mainly for the mufflers and one of the screws for the butt plate.

1 attachments
Posted on 7 years ago

I am looking at the 1964 catalogue (there doesn't appear to be a 1965 catalogue) and it looks like the 8x12 tom came with the smaller lugs so I guess it is accurate for my kit.

Posted on 7 years ago

Looking good! Congrats on the retirement too.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 7 years ago

Great kit for a restoration. Enjoy your retirement brother. I've been retired for a few years now and as Bachman, Turner Overdrive said... I love to work at nothing all day! Enjoy your time...

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 7 years ago

Thanks John and Glenn,

I am looking to replace the internal mufflers on the 3 toms. I think 2 of them may not be original Ludwig.

[ame]http://www.ebay.com/itm/281782093163?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT[/ame]

I am checking out these new ones that appear to have the mounting hole below the tuning knob same as mine are. I have heard that the size of the holes has changed over the years and looking for any advice or experience before I shell out $75 for three of these.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Also attached is a photo of the polished chrome for the 8x12 and 9x13 toms.

Now I am waiting to hear back from Precision Drum on when I can expect to get the shells back so I can start on the Novus polishing. I like the way the Novus brightened up the wrap on the bass drum hoops.

Maybe I will send the link with the muffler to Precision Drum and see what they think.

More to follow.

1 attachments
Posted on 7 years ago

Interesting that I am unable to attach the link to the eBay page that shows the muffler.

Sorry about that.

Posted on 7 years ago

Jim - You're not going to have to do a thing to those shells when they arrive back from Precision. They will be polished and ready for hardware. Those guys do clean, professional work. You're going to be very happy with their efforts, I promise you. Save all the cleaners for the next project, you aren't going to need them this time.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here