Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

1965 Ludwig Super Classic BDP Project

This has the picture of the 2 small holes that I plugged and the 8x12 before buffing out the Novus 2.

Posted on 7 years ago

Here are some progress photos. I did the Novus 2 twice on each shell followed by Novus 1. I ordered an 8oz of Novus 3 since the snare shell is still pretty yellowed. I should get that tomorrow. I may also try it on the bass drum. The toms cleaned up quite nicely.

I also sprung for baseball bat mufflers that should be arriving in the next several days. The knob mufflers just don't fit correctly in the existing holes.

Posted on 7 years ago

Here is the bass drum and floor tom

Posted on 7 years ago

LOL - You got to use the Novus!!! :p

They're looking factory new! Can't wait to see them put back together. You decide on heads yet? I would go Classic on that kit... REMO Emperors and Ambassadors all around with an EMAD on the back of the bass drum and a coated REMO up front.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 7 years ago

Hey Jim

Great progress. I love the step by step your sharing. Quick question. When polishing the shells with the Novus, are you buffing by hand with a cloth or using a hand held electric buffer or a pedestal motor driven buffer?

No Guru - I just love collecting & learning about vintage drums!

Some of my favorites from the kits in the collection
58 WFL New Yorker Blue Sparkle
67 Ludwig Hollywood Red Psychedelic
69 Ludwig Standard Red Ruby Strata
70's Ludwig BOP "Ringo" Kit

A few of my favorite snares
20's Leedy Black Elite
51 Leedy & Ludwig Knob Tension
58 WFL Buddy Rich Classic Blue Sparkle
63 Walberg & Auge Sea Blue Agave Green Pearl
66 Leedy Shelly Manne Blue Agate Pearl
Posted on 7 years ago

Purdie

Thanks.

I'm using my life time supply of Novus 1 and 2. :-). I will probably have enough to polish all of the headlights in my neighborhood.

I am planning on vintage coated emperors on the toms, ambassador clear on tom resonants.

I'm planning a custom resonant for the bass drum. I'll send a photo shortly. Since I play these, I like the aquarian super kick 2.

Thinking about a coated emperor on the jazz festival snare. I've been using a power stroke on it to manage the ring but my teacher thinks it should be more open. Ambassador snare or hazy on the snare side.

Posted on 7 years ago

CT

Thanks. I'm using a Novus buffing attachment on my drill. I have old carpet laid on my work surface for protection. I put the number 2 on generously with a paper I got from Novus then I buff it with the attachment until it has dried with a film. Then I use clean paper and remove the film by hand. I did this twice then finished with the Novus 1 by hand. I can still see some difference in color where the lugs were but on the toms, it's pretty close. Not so close on the snare. That's why I'm going to try the number 3. It almost looks like discoloration from cigarette smoke which was very common in the day but being an ex-smoker, I did not think it would be this hard to get that off.

More to follow.

Posted on 7 years ago

This is the logo from our high school band circa 1970 - 1972. We started getting together 3 or 4 times a year back in 2009 and were having a great time. I made this design in print shop using a silk screen and made t-shirts and sweat shirts. I still have an old sweat shirt from that time.

My plan for this drum head is to reverse the colors so whatever is white on this photo will be blue. I think that will look good on the drum head. I am going to check with drumart.com to see what they can do for me. I had this one made from a phot of my sweat shirt by a guy named Nathan in Canada who does stuff for Roland V-Drums but I have not been able to get a hold of him for this project.

Posted on 7 years ago

From grantro

I always wrap the springs with regular felt I buy at a fabric store for about $1/sq. ft...My lesson learned is when I didn`t do this, was finding the vibrating spring on a bass drum after I put it back together...Of course, it was the last lug I checked, so, the whole drum basically had to be taken apart and then put back together...So much time wasted...So, my recommendation would be to install felt...Cheers

I had some felt from another project so I did wrap all of the lug springs with that. Just to try and avoid any kind of rattles when I put the drums back together. I have enough trouble trying to manage the moving target of snare buzz on this kit.

Thanks

Posted on 7 years ago

Sympathetic snare buzz can tuned out of the kit. Alter the tuning of the toms (up, or down,) and the buzz when you play will diminish.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here