Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Non-USA drums

Old 06-02-2008, 05:52 PM

Default Zim Gar

Aloha from Ewa Beach, HI. My very first drum set was a white pearl four piece kit made by some little known company called "Zim Gar." It was of course nothing to speak of in terms of quality, but nonetheless, it was my first kit and I loved it at the age of 13. Has anyone ever heard of this company or even still have a drum kit from Zim Gar?

Currently playing 40 years later and have a Roland V-Drum kit that I use for practicing, and a Fine Burgandy finish on my new Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute, that sound AWESOME that I gig with.

Aloha for now and "stick" with it --- Mark
Old 06-03-2008, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Zim Gar

All the info is in this part of the main web site..

Vintage Japanese Drums and History

David
Old 01-23-2009, 06:02 PM

Smile Re: Zim Gar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvp3986 View Post
Aloha from Ewa Beach, HI. My very first drum set was a white pearl four piece kit made by some little known company called "Zim Gar." It was of course nothing to speak of in terms of quality, but nonetheless, it was my first kit and I loved it at the age of 13. Has anyone ever heard of this company or even still have a drum kit from Zim Gar?

Currently playing 40 years later and have a Roland V-Drum kit that I use for practicing, and a Fine Burgandy finish on my new Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute, that sound AWESOME that I gig with.

Aloha for now and "stick" with it --- Mark
Hey ya'll I'm in a little state called georgia. Yes i'v heard of zim-gar I still have a cool set of vintage sunburst color. don't know to much about them. could use some info on them thanks CHYBOY61
Old 01-23-2009, 09:39 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Ewa Beach, eh ?

I was just on Oahu a few weeks ago.....

ZimGar was a Pearl stencil brand (stencil brand = produced by a company but not under their own name, but a different name...often the names of a music supply distributor)....from the '60's to the early '70's.

The badges were actually pretty vague...in that the early ones said "ZimGar Brooklyn"...hehehe...but they were made 100% in Japan.

Later badges dropped the "Brooklyn".

Pretty typical 60's Pearl drums...usually luan shells either 3 or 6-ply, and Slingerland-ish hardware (which quite honestly wasn't bad). The bearing edges tended to be kinda primitive, though....so in order to really get 'em sounding decent, I almost always recut the original edges on these sorta kits...

Yup, you still see 'em around on eFlay from time to time...several times a year, usually...and they go for very cheap...a whole set in the $200-300 range.

Webmaster's resource is a good one. Also...the drum guru on vintage Japanese drums is George Lawrence...he can be contacted here:

http://www.vintagedrummuseum.com/forum/index.php

Old 01-24-2009, 12:52 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

How about some pics from the Zim-Gar owners? Would love to see the sunburst kit.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:42 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

I got hold of 3 pieces a few years ago..the FT, snare and RT in turquoise. These were very old...early '60's at least. The bass drum is an old Pearl.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	400_ZimGarTurq.jpg
Views:	1075
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	4479  
Old 05-18-2010, 01:16 AM

I've got an old Zim Gar kit - I will post pics soon... just waiting for a nice sunny day to shoot some decent ones. Sizes are 20, 12, 14 and a matching snare!

They have a very funky "faux abalone shell" wrap (purple, gold, silver, blue & gray stripes - never seen anything like it!) The shells are paper thin (probably luan) and the bearing edges are hashed - but the kit still sounds pretty darn good with some coated emperors on it! The hardware is solid and attractive and I had a Gretsch sticker on the kick's resonator - so almost everybody who saw 'em up on stage said "nice old Gretsch kit!"

The drums have been in storage for years (been playing my 67 Luddy's lately) but the Zim Gars have graced a hundred stages with me over the years. They've served me well, but it's time to part with them (just bought a Gretsch Renown and the wife says "too many drums")

I'm planning on a garage sale this Summer - but if they don't sell there, I suppose I'll put em up on ye ol' eBay. I'll keep you posted!
Old 05-18-2010, 01:35 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to jonnistix

Quote:
Originally Posted by poprobot View Post
I've got an old Zim Gar kit - I will post pics soon... just waiting for a nice sunny day to shoot some decent ones. Sizes are 20, 12, 14 and a matching snare!

They have a very funky "faux abalone shell" wrap (purple, gold, silver, blue & gray stripes - never seen anything like it!) The shells are paper thin (probably luan) and the bearing edges are hashed - but the kit still sounds pretty darn good with some coated emperors on it! The hardware is solid and attractive and I had a Gretsch sticker on the kick's resonator - so almost everybody who saw 'em up on stage said "nice old Gretsch kit!"

The drums have been in storage for years (been playing my 67 Luddy's lately) but the Zim Gars have graced a hundred stages with me over the years. They've served me well, but it's time to part with them (just bought a Gretsch Renown and the wife says "too many drums")

I'm planning on a garage sale this Summer - but if they don't sell there, I suppose I'll put em up on ye ol' eBay. I'll keep you posted!
Put them up here first. If you are going to sell them this summer, I may be able to take advantage. I love the 3 ply kits. And that wrap is a cool one! Let us look at it first!
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Old 05-18-2010, 01:37 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

I,ll buy the Zims if the price is decent...They,re great drums,esp the toms and the bass drum!...............Jonnistix...as long as we keep the prices down....."right"??

Last edited by wayne; 05-18-2010 at 01:41 AM.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:52 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Some ZG kits were pretty flimsy but i lucked out and got a kit with no mods,tight unfaded wrap,8 lug kick and snare,matching snare,all drums have cast hoops...and they sound fantastic!