Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.65971%

yamaha vintage set? or is it?

I recently bought a yamaha set, and the guy who sold it to me told me that it was made in early 70/80, and that it was made by the recepy from gretsch roundabage model. and i am asking you pros here if you would have any information on these drums.

I was also told that the drums were changed a little, like bas drum legs...etc

the hardwear is from Premier in pictures.

I am sticking some photos from which i hope you can see anything... :)

hope you may know something:)

greatings

mrak

3 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

Hope you did not pay Gretsch Round Badge Prices.

If you did........ go kick some ass.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 15 years ago

I didn't pay Gretsch Round Badge Price.

I just wanted to know if anybody knows these drums,

which series they could be, and which year were they manufactured.

I just wanted any information i can get on these drums....

shall i post any aditional pictures?

on the badge it say, that they were made in japan, if this means anything?

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Those are very early Yamahas. Definitely 1970's...likely early 1970's judging from the hardware.

That is a NICE old Japanese kit....the hardware seems in good shape and that wrap is no longer made...another cool old Japanese wrap which you cannot get anymore.

Regarding the Gretsch aspect of the drums...can you take a head off of a tom and take a picture of the inside of the shell ?

Trying to determine whether it is a thin shell with rings or not, and also whether the wood species is the typical japanese Luan or something else.

Nevertheless...if you paid in the range of $400 or so usd for that kit and it includes a snare drum....you didn't get a bad deal.[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

I will post pictures on sunday, becouse i'm a student and i'm home only on wekends.

Thanks for the help.

Now i have at least some clue where drums came from, and so.

I payed 450 with snare, but it is not yamaha...i'll post more pictures on wekend....

Again, thank you very much. :)

Posted on 15 years ago

Hy , here are some more pictures from the inside of the drum.

I was mistaken, the snare is also yamaha's, but it is metal....

4 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

The only reference to Gretsch was just because they both had silver painted interiors..

The statement was a stretch that is for sure.

That is new one to me. People selling things will say what they may think is true or believe to be true and keep passing the information like it is factual.

David

Posted on 15 years ago

I have a 20,12,13,14,16 early Yamaha kit with the same Maple ply shells. I'll get pics out...

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]I have to say...I was really worried that mrak was gonna post pics of a Luan-shelled kit. I was basing my $400 on Luan shells.

Those shells clearly...aren't.

It makes the seller's Gretsch reference...forgivable, IMHO.

So, mrak...$450 is a darn GOOD price for that kit. Early Yamaha. Likely Maple shells (if not, then birch). Unusual wrap color. Intact.

You got a good deal, indeed. A knowledgeable Japanese vintage fan would shell out $600 plus for those, easy.

Those look like very solid drums, the shells are good shells....and you don't see many early Yamahas around.

[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

I agree. I have seen old Japanese orphan shells which actually fooled me as being Gretsch. They had the knockoff lugs and the maple shells and edges were very, very Gretsch-like.

So, in this instance, I give the seller artistic license to have said that. And I also agree, Mrak, you landed a vintage Yamaha kit in a cool and un-reproducable wrap finish made up of quite good shells for under $500 ? That is a good deal.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here