Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.66180%

Want some RESTORE feedback...

I was fortunate enough to score a George Way 3 piece (20, 12, 16) last Fall on an out-of-state Craigslist ad. From the pix I was sure it was a Camco kit but when I finally put my hands on it, I noticed all the two-sided lugs, most of which still had pegs.

I've now stripped off and polished all the hardware and acquired most all the additional hardware I'll need. The interiors of the drums are fairly cut up and the bass drum in particular will need some professional TLC.

Here's the rub: I have also since acquired a 5x14 Way snare (WITHOUT throw-off and butt plate... HINT, HINT!) AND a 14" Way Parade snare. I am fantasizing about converting the Parade snare into a floor tom (I already have era-correct legs and brackets) and make a lovely 20,12,14,16 kit with matching snare.

The snare drum is painted blue and the Parade drum is finished walnut, neither which come anywhere a match to the really well-worn and somewhat messed up, natural dark finish of the original Way kit. THUS, I am considering a re-wrap.

In particular, I was thinking of something like Bonzo Drum's Sparkling Pink Champagne (which appears to not be too pink for my taste).

I'm VERY open to feedback from all of you...

Thanks!

Jeff

- Current restoration Project: Geo Way 5 piece
- 60's Oaklawn Walnut Camco kit (12/12/14/20) matching Snare (Camco hardware and Paiste black logo 2002s)
- 70's LA Maple Camco kit (12/13/16/22) matching Oaklawn snare (Rogers hardware and Paiste Signatures/Mellow ride)
- 70's Blue Vistalite Ludwig Monster kit (6/8/12/13/14/15/16/18/24) matching snare (all Hercules hardware, all Zidljian shadow logos)
Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="Magenta"]First off - it's downright cruel of you not to post some pics electricit

Next....how's the head fit on all of the shells now ? Can they take a wrap and still allow contemporary heads to fit OK ? Sparkles and Glitters aren't thin wraps....

Next...sure, if you want 2-down, I highly recommend marching drum to FT conversions. They work out great !

Sounds like this is gonna be your drum set, not a turnaround-for-quick-sale sorta job.

So....go for whatever color you want...provided the wraps will fit OK. actually like Pink Glitters/Sparkles...I agree, they don't look too pink. I just have never had the nerve to do one myself (although I also never had the nerve to do [COLOR="Orange"]Tangerine[/COLOR]....and the one set I just finished came out awesome....).[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

Jaye:

You're right about the pix--- mea culpa. I'll fix that at some point tomorrow.

Regarding the Tom conversion-- I prefer two down, but more significantly, the bass drum uses a rail consolette (which I presume only make sense with one high tom).

Your point about the heads fitting over the wrap is a good one. I had actually thought of this and found that it might be a hair tight. I then discussed this with my drum teacher (and MAJOR vintage collector) who suggested that in addition to using 'vintage' style heads, the wrap would be trimmed (or 'thinned') at the point of the hoops and shouldn't add nearly as much thickness as the full wrap. We'll see.....

Yes, I'm thinking this will be 'my kit,' at least for awhile. I'm pretty much a novice drummer but my drum teacher (whose been teaching me on his Camco kits since day one) infected me with the vintage collecting thing. It's turned into a pretty serious compulsion:

I spent about year turning my son's first drum kit (a three piece blue Vistalite kit) into a monster collection (6, 8, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 18, 24) with matching Hercules hardware and all Zildjian hollow logos., At that point I had really "cut my teeth' on ebay.

And, it finally hit my how incredibly cool my teacher's Camco kits were (both, in terms of look and sound)---Over the last two years, I have bought a walnut Oaklawn kit and a clear Maple LA kit. Neither came with matching snares, but I've just recently acquired them AND the hardware they were missing...<>. I play (more like 'just practice' and play for fun) on the LA Kit.

(Yeah, I know... more pix)

The real kicker is that I've actually got my wife convinced that this vintage drum thing REALLY IS an investment! (Though I'm sure I'll be 'drum restriction') any day now....

The whole GEORGE WAY thing is pretty much the fantasy actualization of severly (and happily) obsessed man. Until six months ago, the only thing I knew about George Way was that he started Camco.

As much as I've done and learned, I'm still SO CLEAR there is so much to learn... Hence, the request for feedback.

(Sorry for the rambling, but insomnia struck and I just can't sleep, and trolling the drum forum is so much more fun that sleeping...)

- Current restoration Project: Geo Way 5 piece
- 60's Oaklawn Walnut Camco kit (12/12/14/20) matching Snare (Camco hardware and Paiste black logo 2002s)
- 70's LA Maple Camco kit (12/13/16/22) matching Oaklawn snare (Rogers hardware and Paiste Signatures/Mellow ride)
- 70's Blue Vistalite Ludwig Monster kit (6/8/12/13/14/15/16/18/24) matching snare (all Hercules hardware, all Zidljian shadow logos)
Posted on 14 years ago

It is my understanding George didn't "start" Camco. Camco was making hardware, George was making drums. They combined their efforts (Camco got George to sign on to get their drum production going), and in an underhanded business move Camco essentially stole Georges drum operation by acquiring 51% of the stock and firing him!

Those dirty #$#@%! It is for this reason that I am not so into Camco (though I would definitely take a kit or snare if one came up). It is also (maybe unfairly) one of the reasons I can't stand DW....mostly I don't like DW because their hardware is garbage and I think their drums sound "canned"...but part of it is the hardware legacy they got from an already tainted (in my eyes) company. I would love me some George H Way drums though!

Sounds like an awesome project! Keep us up to date with the progress, and yes...post some pics!

Best Regards,

Adam

Posted on 14 years ago

From Adam_Cargin

It is my understanding George didn't "start" Camco. Camco was making hardware, George was making drums. They combined their efforts (Camco got George to sign on to get their drum production going), and in an underhanded business move Camco essentially stole Georges drum operation by acquiring 51% of the stock and firing him!Those dirty #$#@%! It is for this reason that I am not so into Camco (though I would definitely take a kit or snare if one came up). It is also (maybe unfairly) one of the reasons I can't stand DW....mostly I don't like DW because their hardware is garbage and I think their drums sound "canned"...but part of it is the hardware legacy they got from an already tainted (in my eyes) company. I would love me some George H Way drums though!Sounds like an awesome project! Keep us up to date with the progress, and yes...post some pics!Best Regards,Adam

adam, at least you have some bearing, about the dw brand, and i can respect your opinion on dw's, but anytime you want to hear how dw's sound come to my house,they are fabulous, now that the hardware is all import,i don;t like it, all my stuff was made in the US but no longer?

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

Thats cool vintagemore. I am sure they sound great, and I totally respect your opinion as well. I am just not personally really into the whole vibe or the sound that DW drum have/make...and I have played a lot of them. I can respect all the advancements they have made as a company and the fact that their drums are super well built etc...but I just don't dig the "flawless" character their drums have sound wise. Also, I have seen some pretty rough quality control issues over the past few years!

On a side note: Nearly every piece of DW hardware I have purchased (and I have given them A LOT of tries) has broken within months of use..or just doesn't work well.

Obviously they are nice if you want to spend $3500 plus on 3 or 4 NEW drums and REALLY inspect them/empty your savings before you buy, but...

I would take ANY vintage U.S.A made kit or a new Tama Starclassic B/B or Straight Maple kit over a DW 10 out of 10 times...and probably pay less than half the money for them. Honestly I don't even like to be seen playing DW in public when they are backlined for me. I know that seems harsh...but thats just my opinion.

Anyway...back to CAMCO. Those bastards!

Just kidding. I really have a huge respect for George H Way though. I am stoked to see pics of this kit!

Posted on 14 years ago

From Adam_Cargin

Thats cool vintagemore. I am sure they sound great, and I totally respect your opinion as well. I am just not personally really into the whole vibe or the sound that DW drum have/make...and I have played a lot of them. I can respect all the advancements they have made as a company and the fact that their drums are super well built etc...but I just don't dig the "flawless" character their drums have sound wise. Also, I have seen some pretty rough quality control issues over the past few years!On a side note: Nearly every piece of DW hardware I have purchased (and I have given them A LOT of tries) has broken within months of use..or just doesn't work well. Obviously they are nice if you want to spend $3500 plus on 3 or 4 NEW drums and REALLY inspect them/empty your savings before you buy, but...I would take ANY vintage U.S.A made kit or a new Tama Starclassic B/B or Straight Maple kit over a DW 10 out of 10 times...and probably pay less than half the money for them. Honestly I don't even like to be seen playing DW in public when they are backlined for me. I know that seems harsh...but thats just my opinion.Anyway...back to CAMCO. Those bastards!Just kidding. I really have a huge respect for George H Way though. I am stoked to see pics of this kit!

Adam. how can you not love george way, the man was very forward thinking, and a drummers best friend!!Clapping Happy2Cool1

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

Totally. He is/was the man. Have you played any of the new Geo H Way drums that Dunnett is making?

I really wanna check em out, but then again I think I would rather just find an old one if I am gonna spend that kind of money!

-Ad

Posted on 14 years ago

From Adam_Cargin

Totally. He is/was the man. Have you played any of the new Geo H Way drums that Dunnett is making?I really wanna check em out, but then again I think I would rather just find an old one if I am gonna spend that kind of money!-Ad

adam please don't take this the wrong way, but the reissues, of all these old companies, have not ONE thing in common with the real companies, you can get the real thing for less money than one of these new reissues, and the real thing has heritage,history, vintage materials that are no longer available, and resale value, go vintage not reissue, ron makes some very fine drums, but they are re issues only!!! yes i've played both the way and leedy drums, no thank you, modern sounding all the way!!

Posted on 14 years ago

I have a Camco kit that was originally wood finish and now is wrapped. Since the Camco shells are undersized, the heads fit just fine with the wrap on the drums.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here