Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

Value of Rewraping

Hello all,

I want to get some opinions regarding the value of rewraping. I am new to the Vintage Drum world, and I am trying to restore this 1977 Slingerland 80N set to a factory finish, or as close as I can get. As I mentioned in a previous post, there are lots of scratches and gouges on the wraps of all the drums, and also the throne. If I was to go with a rewrap, how is the value of the set affected? Also, how are rewraped drums regarded in the Vintage Community?

2 attachments
Posted on 12 years ago

From Slingerland 1977

Hello all,I want to get some opinions regarding the value of rewraping. I am new to the Vintage Drum world, and I am trying to restore this 1977 Slingerland 80N set to a factory finish, or as close as I can get. As I mentioned in a previous post, there are lots of scratches and gouges on the wraps of all the drums, and also the throne. If I was to go with a rewrap, how is the value of the set affected? Also, how are rewraped drums regarded in the Vintage Community?

Hi,So say the value of the set is 1,000.00 a rewrap makes it a 500.00 set.. The way the vintage drum collectors look at a rewraped set its called a "Player's" set.It also goes if you change out the vintage parts for newer parts....Mikey

Posted on 12 years ago

Gouges , scratches, wear & dings, come with the territory of vintage drums. The original wrap is applied better than any rewrap job you could do, & gives the set more authenticity. Better to live with the set, or sell it ,as it is .

Posted on 12 years ago

As stated, it's generally a bad bad idea. Your kit in particular would be a horrible idea. It's not just a kit ... it's a very complete Buddy 80N. Those tend to have a pretty good resell when they are complete.

What Would You Do
Posted on 12 years ago

Got to weigh in on this one... for the sake of value, or anything else for that matter, DON'T TOUCH THAT KIT!

The others (above) have spelled it out nicely. The only kits that should be rewrapped are sets where the original wrap is TRASHED. What I mean by this is wrap issues that go far beyond normal "wear-and-tear." Then, when rewrapped, you'll have to find a "player" in order to sell...

I take a lot of orphan drums and rewrap to make "players" kits. However, even when I aquire an orphan with good wrap I tend to hang on to that drum forever thinking somebody somewhere sometime is going to want or need it.

Bill

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
"Redrums - Ks" on FB and Reverb
(also "billnvick" on eBay)
Posted on 12 years ago

In the pics that kit looks new! Don't touch it (other than to play it)! If there are superficial scratches, give em the Novus treatment and call it good. I can't see the scratches in the pictures, and I guarantee an audience can't see them either! What a nice complete kit!

-Adam

Posted on 12 years ago

From billnvick

Got to weigh in on this one... for the sake of value, or anything else for that matter, DON'T TOUCH THAT KIT!The others (above) have spelled it out nicely. The only kits that should be rewrapped are sets where the original wrap is TRASHED. What I mean by this is wrap issues that go far beyond normal "wear-and-tear." Then, when rewrapped, you'll have to find a "player" in order to sell...I take a lot of orphan drums and rewrap to make "players" kits. [COLOR="Red"]However, even when I aquire an orphan with good wrap I tend to hang on to that drum forever thinking somebody somewhere sometime is going to want or need it.[/COLOR]Bill

Heck yeah, Bill.......!!!!!

Darn good stuff, that's what this site is about!!

History, preservation and restoration.....

Kevin
Posted on 12 years ago

Don't wrap those rascals! as stated from five feet no one is going to see what your seeing on the finish. get Novus plastic polish shine em up and smile for miles. Look at it this way by re wrapping the drums you'll diminish the re sale value of your kit by 40%+ spending the money and the time and materials on the re wrap job. Also the scratches and character on your finish are a testament to the life your kit has lived. Leave it original.

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 12 years ago

That kit is a beauty! I wouldn't touch a thing. Use the Novus as everyone has said, stand back and admire. Then enjoy playing them!! All the little warts and dings are patina and add to the character of the kit.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 12 years ago

From MIKEY777

Hi,So say the value of the set is 1,000.00 a rewrap makes it a 500.00 set.. The way the vintage drum collectors look at a rewraped set its called a "Player's" set.It also goes if you change out the vintage parts for newer parts....Mikey

I'm thinking I need to say a word or two about rewrapped kits. If the new wrap job is "professional" and correct adhesive glue is used, or even taped seams, the end product is still the same vintage shell and hardware with a new and beautiful face. Yes, I agree, this applies when the original wrap is beyond repair...but in the example of the "Beatles" down beat kit, this drum set looks new out of the factory and saves the "player" thousands of dollars and gets the same drums, just better looking. I'm not arguing "original wrap" vs. "rerwap", but I am saying that practically speaking and in certain scenarios a good rewrapped kit is the way to go. Again, I agree, nothing beats vintage original drums but I think rewrapped drums get an unfair shot at being accepted as great quality equipment.

[IMG]http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj507/Drumfactory/beatlesrewrapped.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj507/Drumfactory/SDC11184.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj507/Drumfactory/SDC11187.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj507/Drumfactory/SDC11188.jpg[/IMG]

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here