Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

Slingerland project

Well, I should have never said "this is my last project" when I did my Ludwig kit. I think I have some kind of disease that makes me buy kits and restore them, hard to quit

So here is whats next. I made a trade with a friend here on VDF, veneer and finish for a whole set of Slingerland hardware. The other day I won and auction on ebay for some shells. They are 13, 18, 22. I had a 16" shell from another trade a while ago. And I have a snare shell that might work. So the plan is to build a 2 up 2 down kit, 12,13,16,18 with 22 kick. I do need a 12" shell, these are all 70's shells with no rings. All the drums are maple except the 16, it has wrap and a mahogany ply underneath. I think the other shells were always a lacquer finish because the are big, like the 13 measures 12 15/16, so I dont think veneer would be good. So for now the plan would be to put some maple veneer on the 16 to make them all the same. The red shells must have had a cherry color stain but the weird thing is, is they are red on the inside as well. Could that res on the inside be original? I kind of hope not because it is butt ugly. So what do you guys think of the plan?

2 attachments

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 9 years ago

Jeff the red interior shells are from 1980 the kit is the XM 51 Magnum kit, here, http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/images/slingerland_drum_sets/1980-slingerland-drumsets1.jpg

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 9 years ago

Thank you Mark. So my kit is a mix of the XM5 and XM51, I have a 18" floor tom. I bet it will be hard to find a 12" with that red stain inside. I will have to think about this one for a while.

Thank you!
Jeff C

Posted on 9 years ago

I think I'd like to be "waked" in that room...

Posted on 9 years ago

These will be nice Jeff! I like those shells. Was this line all red inside or were they done in other colors to match the outside finish? BTW nice collection going on there! I know this is just a small part of them.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 9 years ago

They would make a nice 1 up 2 down kit which are back in vogue these days... Looks like you have the earlier Setomatic tom mountings.. so you will have some holes to deal with ??

Cheers

John

'77 Slingerland 51N,Super Rock 24,18,14,13.. COW 8,10 Concert toms
'69 Slingerland Hollywood Ace
'75 Rogers Dynasonic 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'77-78 Slingerland 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'78-79 Slingerland 5 1/4 x14 8 lug COB
'79 Biman 5 1/4, Acrolite
'82 Slingerland 5 1/4 x 14. Festival COS
'84 Tama MasterCraft Superstar 6.5 x 14, 10 lug Rosewood
'98 Slingerland (Music YO) 6" 10 Lug Maple.. NOS
Zildjian, Sabian , UFIP & Paiste mix.
Posted on 9 years ago

Interested in what you decide to do. Agree the red is serious ugly.

Creighton

Nothing special here but I like them.
Posted on 9 years ago

I'd make it 1 up 2 down, veneer the 16 incher and stain it in line with the other drums. I'd ignore the (subjective) ugliness. If I'd keep 'm for own use I'd run coated heads on them anyway, or if that would make them sound too "warm", smooth whites.

Vintage and custom drum projects:
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php...2305272732%3A6
Posted on 9 years ago

Glenn, thank you. I don't know if there were other colors available at that time or not. This is the first time I have seen anything like this.

John, the mounts I have all fit. They are the later Super Set-O-Matics. This hardware came off a kit with cardboard shells. The Slingerland book dates the carboard shells at 1985, the Violin Red Finish was used from 1976-1986 so the hardware and the shells are a good match, no holes to drill. And there are no extra holes in any of the shells.

Bartw, your right about the heads covering up the ugly red. I just might do what you suggest because I do like coated heads.

Thank you!
Jeff C

Posted on 9 years ago

you could get the XM 51 Kit in any available wrap or stain slingerland offered at the time. I personally like the red interior on these shells.

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here