Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

Slingerland Avante 60N

Just picked up this Slingerland Avante 60N Set up from a CL seller. I really didn't want another set of drums but thought I would go take a look. Turns out it is the Avante outfit with the triple tom configuration on the bass drum. They are larger size drums than listed in the catalog. 14"x24" Bass Drum, with 2 pair of Spurs. 9"x13" 10"x14" 10"x15" 16"x18" floor tom with 4 leg mounts. Black Niles Badges. Tight Red wrap that is going to clean up beautifully. They are not scuffed up, in round, and 3 ply maple with rerings. All the stick saver hoops, bass drum Spurs, hoops, and floor Tom legs are present. Both double and single bass drum tom mounts. All the Trods and claws are present. Missing are the lugs for the 15" and some lugs on the 14", and mufflers on both drums. I don't know if the leg and bass drum spur mounts took a larger screw than the early 60's mounts or if these were tapped a little larger, but they do not have the original thumb screws present. Really really nice shells though and will be a killer sounding set when cleaned up and Reheaded. The thing is I don't have room, or the time to clean and restore this set. Let me know if any of you are interested in it.

1 attachments
Posted on 9 years ago

That is an excellent project kit for somebody. Don't see a lot of those kits around. Nice find, Tim!

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 9 years ago

It would be a excellent project for someone looking for a vintage 3 ply maple set of larger drums. Definately not a candidate for a rewrap. The wrap is nice and will clean up beautifully. There is no pitting on the hoops or lugs. The only thing to have the complete set playable are the missing lugs, some tension rods and new heads. I could move a few tom lugs around and put some new heads on the 14" 18" and the 24" Bass drum, add my 402, and have a thunderous 4 piece set happening in two days. Actually the 13" 18" and 24" just need cleaning and heads. Would not take a whole lot.

Of course you would want to clean the bass drum hoop inserts which are there, although one has come loose. It's just giving the hoops a little sanding and paint. Glue the inserts in, and remove and clean the lugs and shells. Will look beautiful. If I had the room I would keep them and take my time restoring them, but I already have two other Red kits with 24" bass drums. I may give that 18" floor Tom a quick cleaning and make a good pic of it so you can see how nice these are. To me the fun is cleaning up sets like this. I just put a shell up against my red Premiers and Beverley's and I could actually use that 18" floor Tom with them the color is so close.

Posted on 9 years ago

A couple of years ago there was an avante shell pack at my local guitar center. It was chrome and badly scratched up. It also had a much later 80's or 90's Taiwanese snare. The guys a GC couldn't figure out why " some moron" put two tom holders and four Spurs on it. "It was probably originally a double bass set."

Another set is the last thing I NEED, but I really WANT a fat shelled Slingy!

I like Drums...
1963 Ludwig Downbeat Champagne Sparkle
1964 Leedy (Slingerland) Blue n Silver Duco
1964 Ludwig Club Date Sparkling Silver Pearl
1966 Ludwig Super Classic Sparkling Silver Pearl
1968 Gretsch round badge modern jazz orange stain
1972 Slingerland 85N Pop outfit Light Blue Pearl
1976 Ludwig Vistalite clear
1981 Gretsch SSB Gran Prix Rosewood
1987 Yamaha Turbo Tour Custom Mellow Yellow
1991 Pearl Export Ferrari Red
Posted on 9 years ago

Tim. great kit. you now have. You can use the 2nd tom mount to place a cymbal off of when not using all the toms.

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 9 years ago

Thanks VM2000. Great idea. I was just now fooling around on how to adjust the toms in the triad position like the pic in the catalog. Like I had earlier mentioned I need lugs for the 15" but aside from that I guess you could mount a cymbal in that back mount and hang or configure the 15" as a floor Tom beside the 18".

Lots of options.

1 attachments
138.3 kB
Posted on 9 years ago

From clubdate64

A couple of years ago there was an avante shell pack at my local guitar center. It was chrome and badly scratched up. It also had a much later 80's or 90's Taiwanese snare. The guys a GC couldn't figure out why " some moron" put two tom holders and four Spurs on it. "It was probably originally a double bass set."Another set is the last thing I NEED, but I really WANT a fat shelled Slingy!

The GC guy's remark that "It was probably originally a double bass set" maybe wasn't too crazy a guess considering Neil Smith basically used two chrome Avante setups for his double bass set in his early days with Alice Cooper:

[Attachment: 82491] [Attachment: 82492]

Mike

-No Guru... still learning more every day-
Posted on 9 years ago

Yeah, I've seen that one before. love the over the top kits of that era.

Extreme?

What's a few more toms on the set when the singer gets the guillotine every night?

Not extreme by comparison.

I like Drums...
Posted on 9 years ago

Tim those are very nice. I like the bigger sizes too. Is the wrap a solid color or sparkle? Good stuff hope you can make a quick sale on them. Every time I buy a kit with the intention of selling them I end up keeping them. The wife is hip to me there. :D

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 9 years ago

I sent you another PM.

Those drums are what I think of when I think of 70's slingerland.

Big and unapologetic.

Btw do all of the toms have a hole through the shell for the tom arm?

Also are then natural finish inside or chocolate milk?

I like Drums...
Posted on 9 years ago