Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.85595%

"Fake" vintage drums?

Since this came up as an aside on the Jazzette thread, I thought it might make an interesting main discussion.

While I can see how faking a Vistalite drum or set might be easy to do (if you're set up with the required equipment, etc.), but as Rich K suggested in the other thread, there probably are not a lot of fake vintage drums out there -in general. Maybe some of the high-ticket items are an exception...I really don't know. I'm not into wood Dynasonic snare drums, but it seems like it might be possible to cut down a shell and re-work it into a fake

With the wrapped 60's Ludwigs, though, it would be difficult to fake them because of the wrap being tucked into the scarf joint.

Gretsch drums might be easier because the Jasper shells don't have re-rings (as far as I know, anyway -I'm not a Gretsch guy)

One clear example of fakery (in my opinion) is when someone "buys" the rights to use a certain vintage company's former brand name in order to entice modern-day buyers into believing that it's possible to create vintage American drum kits using Asian-manufactured components. One example is Yamaha/Rogers. Something is wrong with that idea, in my opinion. There are other examples I could give, too, but I think I'll just leave it at that...Burger Kin.

Has anyone here had personal experience with a real "fake drum?

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

When Rogers 1960s wood Dynasonics hit the 3000-4000 dollar mark around y2k, a number of forgeries showed up on ebay. Some were pretty well done. And Im sure some people got screwed.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 16 years ago

There's a guy in Canada that does a very good job of recreating Rogers drums. He's usually selling a few things on ebay and currently has a blue onyx rewrapped kit for sale. I bought a black onyx kit from him, and some of it was pretty fishy. I honestly could not tell where his restoration work had been done. I got the sense that the 14x14 was completely fabricated, there just wasn't something right about it. He's got a full shop and knows what he's doing, even down to applying Rogers paper tags. As I've seen some of his other auctions, like dyna and powertone clones, it's evident that he could very easily make a wood dyna repro that wood fool even the experts.

Famous vintage guitar collector George Gruhn no longer buys vintage Fenders or Gibsons, because the fakes are so incredibly well done that even he can't tell anymore. Where there's money, there's fakes.

http://www.classicvintagedrums.com
Posted on 16 years ago

Tottaly agree people are getting took when you see rogers script badges, and paper tags out of rogers drums some jerk is forging a drum and most likly a 14x14 after all the hardware is easy to get and the shell and paint is avalible...seeing way to much of this crap...people stripping drums then others reasembleing the pieces and selling as original rogers well sorry they are not original leave the sets alone and sell as sets.. please...:mad:

Posted on 16 years ago

Yeah,

Forgey and deceit in the drum world? This, pardon my foul and nasty language, is ****ed up. I attended the Chicago vintage show this past year and the owner of the shop I work at was asked to hold on to and potentially sell a wood Rogers Dynasonic rewrap snare drum. Upon further inspection, there is a snare bed. A forgery. For a person to know enough drum knowledge to fabricate and be deceptive towards fellow drummers is completely disturbing to me.

Posted on 16 years ago

If it was an 80s reissue Dynasonic, 1982-83 aprox. it would have snare beds. Very slight snare beds.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 16 years ago

Actually, the original wood dynas had very slight snare beds, I think.

The "faked" dynas I've known about took actual Rogers shells that had been stripped, and re-wrapped with the pearl from a floor tom.

Most of us that have been doing this a while can usually tell drums wrapped with current wraps...the sparkles and glitters are smooth on the new ones, the originals had an "orange peel" bumpy feel.

It used to be the grommet that would be the giveaway, but many folks have solved that problem.

The next level of forgery clues were placement of the components, i.e...pearl seams, muffler, strainer, badge position, etc.

Some of the re-issued onyxes (agates) are pretty good, and if I don't see them side by side with the originals, I might not know the difference.

Also, some of the sparkles that you can get now are a very close match to '60s and '70s Ludwigs and a couple of the Slingerlands...especially the silver sparkle.

This being said, it seems that most of the time "newbies" get a vintage piece and are worried about it being fake, it usually seems to be a correct, original.

I think most of the fakes are most likely to be bought by somewhat experienced collectors looking to get "special" pieces.

I think the best way to be sure you're getting an original is to find "as is", uncleaned or restored drums from sellers that buy from estates, garage sales,

pawn shops, etc.

If you're buying from someone that sells drums from time to time, like me, ask other vintage drum guys for their reputation.

All this being said, as I've stated in the jazzette thread, I think there are very, very few fakes out there...not even a spit in the ocean compared to the guitar world.

Posted on 16 years ago

just to clarify when you see script badges and paper tags on ebay for sale what other use could they be for other than to forge? a paper tag taken from one drum and placed in another is a forgery...i guess we need to ask ourselves how far will we go to get that original piece,that is why i only buy sets and if i want a paticular drum i build it myself and tag it as a Mike t original it may look and play like a rogers but it is NOT a original and i tag it as such...

Posted on 16 years ago

I've heard that the buyer of this drum received this drum and it was (is) a fake.

The drum was being sold "as is"...apparently the buyer asked, before he bid, if the drum was original or a rewrap, and the seller replied that it looks original, but who knows?

Should have been a tip off. The seller looks like a dealer that seems to buy lots of Gretsch parts and spares, and he sells via "private" listings.

Anyone who buys and sells this much knows a re-wrap from a genuine item.

I'm not sure of any of this, I'm just putting it out there...but I think someone right now feels pretty ripped off and it makes me feel bad.

If I'm wrong, let me know....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gretsch-14-X-14-WMP-Round-Badge-Floor-Tom-Drum-Nice_W0QQitemZ180174037424QQihZ008QQcategoryZ64439QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Posted on 16 years ago

I'm confused about the early wood Dynasonics that you say might have had slight snare beds, because from the Rogers book (Rob Cook) I understood that they don't have snare beds at all.

Am I missing something? Help

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here