Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.85595%

Need Info About appraisals

Hi Everyone...I am new here and I apologize if I am in the wrong section for this. I have a 1964 Ludwig black oyster set like the one Ringo used to play with. I am looking for an appraisal and am trying to find some leads....I tried to send some pictures to Ned at vintagedrums.com, but he is too busy to do appraisals lately.... Any help is greatly appreciated........by the way the snare drum is very rare I believe. It is a matching piccolo snare.....14"x4"

Thanks. D' Drummer I am trying to post a picture but having problems....Will try later

Posted on 16 years ago

Hi, Mike. It souds like you might have a real goodie on your hands! The color is HIGHLY desireable...If it has a 20 X 14 bass drum, a 12 X 8 tom tom and a 14 X 14 floor tom to go with the snare drum you mentioned, then what you have is called a "Downbeat" kit. The snare drum (14 X 4) is also called a "Downbeat" model. In that finish, it's probably one of the most collectible and valuable 60's era Ludwig kits! Depending on what condition things are in and how complete (including the pedals, and stands, throne, etc.) the entire kit is, you'll probably see values in excess of $3K -again based upon what the kit might sell for on EBay and in my humble opinion, too! ;)

Let's see some detailed pictures -including badge numbers, date stamps and the whole shebang and we'll be able to get a better idea of what's-what.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

What do you need an appraisal for? Insurance or to sell the drums?

That makes a big difference...

David

Posted on 16 years ago

Hey, Mike. David is right. Plus, we don't really do the same type of thing that Ned Ingberman does. His appraisal "business" happened prior to all the internet stuff and it's my opinion that he doesn't really know as much as many of the experts who frequent this forum. In my opinion, he likes to buy low and sell high, if that indicates anything to you. He has a lot of cool stuff, but I've never known anyone to do business with him.

Things are only as valuable as what someone is willing to pay for it. EBay is a much better indicator of that than Ned is.

If you really want to see a clear picture of what your kit is worth, then you could create an EBay auction and make it open to international bids...but make it a reserve auction and set your reserve at 1 million dollars (for an example) and make the opening price 99 cents and then watch what kind of bids you get on it. If, at the end of that "experiment" you see a price that looks good enough for you to sell it, then make another auction -except lower the reserve (or make it a no-reserve auction). If you are getting an appraisal for insurance, then it will give you a better idea of how much to insure it for (with future-value predictions taken into account, too!)

Ned's appraisal system is antiquated, in my opinion.

Posted on 16 years ago

O-lugs.....man that's cruel to the guys out there who would give there left you know what bidding on that kit. Cruel, but ingenious..........

Posted on 16 years ago

heh heh heh! mwah...muwahh...MUWAAAAAHAHAHAHAAA!!... ;)

Actually, I can't take credit for "discovering" that ploy, John. I learned it from observing drum collector/seller, Cherie Willoughby. She regularly makes reserve auctions to "test the waters" with whatever her newest gem might be (and man, she finds some of the best kits I have ever seen!).

Posted on 16 years ago

Quoted post

heh heh heh! mwah...muwahh...MUWAAAAAHAHAHAHAAA!!... ;)Actually, I can't take credit for "discovering" that ploy, John. I learned it from observing drum collector/seller, Cherie Willoughby. She regularly makes reserve auctions to "test the waters" with whatever her newest gem might be (and man, she finds some of the best kits I have ever seen!).

Oh yea ... Willoughby..the outfit that offers kits at astronomical prices....I agree the kits are pristine, but the prices are out of line.....I have never seen one sell...or maybe I should not say that because I have never placed one on my watch list........beautiful stuff tho....too nice to gig with..........

Posted on 16 years ago

John,

You're right. I've never seen her sell one of those kits....online....but, that doesn't mean she doesn't have an interested buyer (or two) off-line for whom she needs to determine a price-range. I haven't ever dealt with her, but she had an immaculate old Premier kit -complete with hardware and everything. It looked like it came from a time-capsule...original Premier logo heads -unplayed! Once it went past my max bid, I knew she had some other thing going on -some other gears were turning on that one. I have never really ever dealt with her, directly.

Posted on 16 years ago

O-Lugs:

Your assessment of Ms. Willouoghby is quite accurate.

She'll contact you regarding one of your E-Bay listed items and offer a price on a BIN basis that's totally insulting, yet the items she sells are listed at the highest prices ever found on "the Bay."

Although I try to avoid the woman at all costs, I recently did purchase a vintage Slingerland Floor Tom Shell from her to complete a project of mine. I sent her a Money Order on the 30th of December and still haven't received the shell. Allegedly, it's scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I DO BELIEVE IN MIRACLES!

Although her items, for the most part, are in pristine condition, she doesn't seem to treat her customers with much respect at all. If you browse through her E-Bay feedback, all her negatives seem to relate to delivery time, not dissatisfaction with the respective items themselves. It makes no sense to leave her negative feedback, however, since she'll just return the favor, whether it's justified or not. That's one of the bad things about the "E-Bay Experience." You can get tagged with negative feedback for doing absolutely nothing wrong. Well, who said life was fair?

Geez...................suddently I feel much better. Venting is a wonderful thing!

Posted on 16 years ago

I do know a professional drummer that purchased a drum set from her and it was at her price... He did not really care..

It is pretty much the same for any high paid professional, for them if they want it they buy it.. Sure they get free stuff, but that is the way life is...

Make big bucks playing drums then the price is not important since you are just adding to your profession and using your purchase to make money...

For the rest of us, well at least from my perspective, I could not afford it and it is no longer my profession...

Just another way of looking at it..

I forgot to mention we have not heard back from the original poster, so until then I guess the subect will take its course..

David

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here