Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

My New/Old 63' SBP Luddy Hollywood Kit

Steve wrote: Just one question though....which one of the three kits are you going to sell.?I think its time to break your 3 kit rule.Cheers

LOL - wouldn't be a 'rule' if you could just break it when you wanted to. The next kit to go will likely be the woody kit I put together from vintage WFL shells. I'll also have a couple of interesting snares going up shortly. I picked up a nice piece of brass too (20" custom K) that I'll likely move along. -Gotta eat!-

Kelly wrote: Ebay or Kiijij? You seem to sell to the coolest folk too like Captain Morgan. Who new he was a drummer until you sold him a kit!

The kit sold through a local CL ad I placed. The actor who plays Capt. Morgan is a guitar player. He bought the drums for his drummer to use at his home studio. The drums will be used for recording. And... the people I sell to are 'cool' because I sell to musicians, and musicians are cool! Guitar Dude Man

Thanks all for very kind words... *Picked up a solid-body Cloud Badge Radio King today! Needs a lot of TLC, but it will make an awesome snare drum when it's done.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 12 years ago

Ok, here's some shots of the kit set-up for playing. Seems like every time I get a new/old kit, I fall in love all over again. The sound of this kit reminds me of why I am such a fan of vintage Ludwig drums from this era. The pre-serial COB is nothing short of sublime. Any sounds I want, this drum just serves it up every time. Amazing instrument.

I can't stand where the toms end up when I use the second tom and the dual post. I keep my ride where the second tom would sit, and the first tom ends up too far to my right. Solution: 1-up, 1-down with the rack tom in a snare basket where I can place it precisely where I like it.

As you will see from the photos, the wrap is still bright and it has aged to a beautiful set of shades of grey pearl. The drums are deeply resonant, the toms sing when you hit them. Love it, love it, love it!

Purists need to look away! No flat base stands and matching hi-hats here. I play my drums and use them for gigs. I need everything to be functional, sturdy and to work. The drums look and sound absolutely awesome. I am very happy with them.

Enjoy the pix... and thanks for following along,

John

5 attachments

Posted on 12 years ago

That's pure, man!

Sysl krysu nenahradi!

-196?-72 6ply White Oyster Amati
-1960s 3ply Red Sparkle Amati
- Zildjian, Paiste, Zyn, Istanbul

http://bandzone.cz/blueswan
Posted on 12 years ago

Most excellent John!

Love is in the air :)

Pardon me while I wipe the drool off my computer screen...Bowing

I love the look of the nicley (faded to grey pearl) wrap!!!

-kellyj

"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing..."
Posted on 12 years ago

From Gilnar

That's pure, man!

:D - Gilnar, after -48 years- it better be!

Kellyj - Thanx. I know you're going to have a ton of fun with your SBP kit. These drums are just a gas to play. They give it all to you.

John

Posted on 12 years ago

Very nice John Bowing You are one lucky man! Tommy

Posted on 12 years ago

Thanks, Tommy. Wish you could come over and play them. You'd love these. Great tone.

John

Posted on 12 years ago

John, super nice kit. This is why I am "still hunting" soon my day will come. But for now, happy for you. Have fun!

Jeff C

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 12 years ago

John i love that kit and i notice how tight your center is on the snare coool looks like that 1962's are#1

gary

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 12 years ago

beautiful as always john. i'm a sky blue pearl lover myself...

mike

march 65 hollywood kit 22/12/12/16 5 digit serials

64 pioneer

66 jazz festival

64 jazz festival

pre serial canister throne

also have a pre serial 12 x15 clubdate marching snare that i dont think is in the pic..

1 attachments
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here