Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

Is It Me or Do other's Feel The same way

I just want to get this off my chest..It seem's like on this forum[[and other's ia'm on]--it's a great forum-- But new guy's alway's fine a vintage drum or set, at a sale say for 50.00 or so,then ask all these question's about it--age,What it's worth?? ete.Then turn around and try to sell the drum or set on this forum after the member's tell them about the drum or set and what we think the drum or set is worth. I feel used by some of these member's does anyone feel the same way???Mikey

Posted on 14 years ago

Yes ... a bit. We've discussed this one before and I've watched since then. I'm not sure how to feel about it. I honestly like the place to turn to for help and to get questions answered. I also like the ability to do biz with members. I guess it's the pop in - get a quote - sell it - pop out bit that bothers me. I would like for members to actually stay and participate, but I understand the reality of it. It's a website for quick answers to some. So long as members provide price quotes, it will continue. I have learned to live within that framework. I still bugs me, but I've adjusted.

Posted on 14 years ago

I've stated many times before that this bugs the crap out of me. I won't answer "how much is it worth" questions anymore because of it. You want to know how much its worth? Take it to a licensed appraser and PAY THEM.

What some should do here when new members do that is this: tell them that its worth more than they paid for it, but don't disclose the value. Tell them post it on ebay with the reserve set at what they paid for it and let it go from there. This is how the subject should be handled. If they think they practically stole it, what difference does it make what its worth on the open market?....if they get anything over what they paid for it, they made money on it.

And yes, everytime someone asks the question then flips it on here or ebay for what a member quoted them on it, I feel like the forum has been used. Its disrespectful to the other members on the forum in my opinion. Its a slap in the face to the knowlegable ones that do stick around if you ask me. Hence my sometimes "gruff bedside manner" as some have put it. The whole subject just rubs me the wrong way.

Just my :2Cents:

Posted on 14 years ago

I understand how you guys may feel. I'm fairly new here and have asked that question as well. I have noticed that also, where the appraisal is given and then the drum appears in the for sale section. In my case I am just trying to learn more about vintage drums and to find out what kind of cost I am looking at not to sell, but to buy. I've gotten a 50/50 response. It's nice to get the quick answer from the experts, but if I get no response, I do the work. I go to ebay and try to see what other drums have sold for or I search this forum. I learned to do that from members. In any case some of us do appreciate the knowledge you guys share with the rest of us.

James

Posted on 14 years ago

Isn't this a great opportunity to up the value of our collectors drums by taking advantage of the situation and tell them it is worth more as to up the market price for your collection. Please excuse me here with this, I'm trying to think of a plus side for the dedicated folks here on this forum. I think we can USE them, is what I'm saying. Ya think?

;)

“In fact your pedal extremities are a bit obnoxious”. – Fats Waller
Posted on 14 years ago

When someone comes here with a kit they found, it's like they are offering it up to us. If we appraise it fairly, then we should be glad to pay them the price we said it was worth. Would you rather they went somewhere else with their finds?

Posted on 14 years ago

I don't sell anything. I have the same stuff I bought 40 years ago.

But I can understand where you're coming from. For me I buy things nuts cheap. If you went through everything I own you'd say "where'd you get it for that?". My car cost $800 and I paid $1 for a 50's K.

I saw a 60's 26" Ludwig kick for $20 recently. I saw a set of 60's Ludwigs with a RB snare for $250 this year.

So when people ask me what something's worth I tell them what I'd pay for it, and that usually stops the conversation dead cold.

The secret to getting deals is learning how to say "no".

Posted on 14 years ago

As a new member to this forum who has shared on the forum my recent vintage-kit garage sale find (for $35.00!), I cannot but help but feel this topic is directed a little toward me. I appreciate the information I have found in some of the posts on this board, including current market value for similar drum kits. However, I have never asked the monetary value of my garage sale find of anyone one on this board. Because I plan on keeping this kit, much to my wife's chagrin (as a full-time professional player for 30+years, I have a basement filled with drums, cases, cymbals, etc...), value is a relative thing. When I found this site, I was excited to see a community that shared the same enthusiasm as I do toward the art and manufacture of drums and was excited to share with others that would "get" what I was talking about. It seems, maybe people on here should stop taking it so seriously and just enjoy being in a community where knowledge can be shared...

Posted on 14 years ago

I know this thread is for you guys/gals that have the knowledge about vintage drums but I as a VINTAGE drummer enjoy the way this forum is structured and "ask a question get an answer" is its motto. But I have seen the ask a question get an answer being used/abused in a way that it is not intended by this forum. A little off topic but bear with me .When I first registered and after posting questions I felt there were certain cliques operating and was intimidated for a while. Now, I know thats not the case and have aquired a good working knowledge of vintage drums.

The point is this will always be the main forum I go to for answers. Maybe you guys/gals have been TO SUCESSFUL with your answers, to the detriment of the other sites that charge for the information.

As to the question about being used & abused by giving prices of vintage drums, I feel you have been gracious and accommodating almost to a fault with your answers and people are abusing the intent of the forum.

Just a thought: maybe you should give answers in how RARE you believe the items are without giving exciting comments or prices. I know that most vintage drums are already valuable and you and your other friends on the forum know also. Maybe have a scale for the how much are these worth in that part of the forum. Just a thought. TOM - Drummer

Posted on 14 years ago

I understand where a lot of you are coming from on this.....however....to new members...it gets rather annoying to some of us when we see another "how much is my X worth?" question posted....you can easily obtain a rough idea by using the search function on the forum to get the answers from previously posted questions, then if that doesn't answer your question THEN post a question....it keeps the forum from getting cluttered as well....:D

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here