Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

How do these Ludwigs look?

I've been looking for a long time for a vintage ludwig kit and this one caught my eye:

[IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/dantheman2590/blackpantherludwigs.jpg[/IMG]

it's got a 12x8, 13x9, 16x16, and 14x20 virgin bass. The wrap is original. It's 1100 obo.

I had to ask about this kit on here because of the strange configuration.... Whats up with that? Is it worth getting? Just tell me about this, please.

Thanks,

Mister T

Posted on 18 years ago

Let me ask you a few questions.

It looks like the two sets you have wanted are both 70's/80's Ludwigs.

What is your musical playing style and do you have a preference for these types os color sets??

Here is a set I just noticed on Ebay and looks like a nice complete 60's set with hardware and a very practical snare drum.

Click Here

Another here

This to me would be more of the Classic Ludwig Vintage. I do not know the seller, but it never hurts to ask questions.

Please tell me your preferences on sizes and finish so when I'm looking I can help find something

David

Posted on 18 years ago

Yeah, man! That blue sparklekit David posted the link to is a MUCH better deal.

The black drums appear to be a finish called "Black Panther". It's an "okay" kit...nowhere near worth 1100. 500-600 tops.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 18 years ago

okay, I'll forget the black kit.

The first kit I wanted because I was told it was "early 70's". I would like 60's more than anything, but I don't mind early 70's. I play rock, but nothing hard. Right now I'm listening to Built To Spill:)

I'm looking for a 14x22, 13x9, 16x16, 14x5 or 6. It doesn't have to come with a snare, though. The reason I overlooked those two blue sparkle kits is because I read that blue sparkle is a very collectable finish and those kits go up pretty high.

The second of the two you sent me is looking VERY nice right now. It looks kind of dirty, but able to be shined up (I may be superstitious, but I think people bid higher on vintage drums with shiny lugs, so that's a plus). I like the matching snare. and Alhambra is 63.5 miles away from me according to mapquest. That knocks off 100 for shipping. Hmmmm.... Do you think 1100 would do it for the second one? I'm sure I could bid 1000-1100 on it.

I'm thinking when I get new hardware and cymbals, I'll get off easy and get everything vintage. hardware, cymbals, stands. a lot of bands I listen to play vintage ludwigs (90%, honestly...) and a good portion of those play vintage Zildjian A's. Would it be ridiculous for me to use a vintage bass pedal, hi-hat stand, other stands, and cymbals? I'm not a hard hitter, strength is hardly an issue.

Posted on 18 years ago

You should not bid until the end of the auction and wait till the last possible moment to put your highest bid in.

There is always that chance and it is very likely, but sometimes with a higher starting bid people do not want to hop on board the auction.

Just test the waters and keep looking.

I had to go online to learn more about Built to Spill, I like the sound.

Yep, put in the high (at the end of the auction) and see what happens you might get them for much less. Please email them questions and start communication with them. Also ask about the pick up and it never hurts to ask what they want in cash to end the auction early.

In regards to the cymbals, save that money because the price of A's is slowly going up. This would be the time to start looking. Of course the older the A the higher you will pay (hey that rythmes). You can find some good deals on cymbals on Ebay.

David

Posted on 18 years ago

Good advice, David. The FIRST of the 2 blue sparkle kit links is the nicest deal -even if it sells for over $1000, it is a really good deal. I think it WILL sell for more than $1000, by the way! The second set may end up being the better deal for you. Either way, both kits are superior to that black panther kit.

Good luck and let us know when you score your kit!

Posted on 18 years ago

David, you are great! That second little set would be fantastic for what he's been seeking. I would definitely go for that if I were in his situation. WAY TO GO!

Posted on 18 years ago

Thanks for the advice. My dad is a master ebayer, if it doesn't go higher than whatever our maximum, I'm sure we'll get it. I'm still watching every kit that goes in and out of ebay, though.

To the person who said the first kit is better, why do you say so? I like the second because I think I like the wood snare more and since it's less shiny it'll go for less and it says 100% original (but whats with the clear reso?). And I can shine it up, no matter how tedious. And what is with the snare on the first one? Those are some weird lugs....

Another thing, what's the difference between the "Classic" and the "Super Classic"?

Posted on 18 years ago

Quoted post

Thanks for the advice. My dad is a master ebayer, if it doesn't go higher than whatever our maximum, I'm sure we'll get it. I'm still watching every kit that goes in and out of ebay, though.To the person who said the first kit is better, why do you say so? I like the second because I think I like the wood snare more and since it's less shiny it'll go for less and it says 100% original (but whats with the clear reso?). And I can shine it up, no matter how tedious. And what is with the snare on the first one? Those are some weird lugs....Another thing, what's the difference between the "Classic" and the "Super Classic"?

Yeah, on second thought, you're right. The second one is a better deal. At first, I thought the first kit came with original stands and that the wrap was in perfect shape...but it's not. The second one is a better deal. Good luck.

P.S. The shiny metal snare drum is a Supra and the lugs are called "Imperial" lugs. The drum is Ludwig's hallmark metal snare drum. But the wood drum on the second kit will also sound great. VINTAGE Ludwig snare drums rule!

Posted on 18 years ago

Actually that black set is quite nice. I'm pretty sure the finish is black panther,which a textured vinyl. Although boring to me, it's a somewhat rare finish. It's possible the shells are the 3 ply ones with maple interiors which everyone that likes Ludwig wants. The set was probably a double bass set originally. Although not a steal, if it's real clean, it's not a bad deal. As a side note, there have been cases where Ludwig used black panther to cover up "citrus mod" sets, as that was a very unpopular color...so if you can see the black set in person, find a spot where you can gently lift up the wrap...if there's a weird yellow/ green wrap underneath...grab the set.

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here