Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.66180%

Donked Up WFL Floor Tom Help

Hello everyone,

I recently acquired this WFL floor tom, and it needs quite a bit of help!

I uploaded pictures here since they're too big for this site:

http://imgur.com/a/ahSpS

As you can see, the paint is flaking badly, part of the outer ply is all cracked and coming apart, and the reinforcement rings are coming off in one area. Luckily, most of the damage is centralized in one area of the drum - the rest is pretty solid. Since taking the photos, I've removed the lugs (after having to drill through some screws!) and they're cleaning up surprisingly well.

Anyways, I've done quite a bit of googling and I've been having trouble finding specific information on repair jobs like this. Hopefully someone here can give me some advice before I start fixing this via trial and error!

Most importantly, how should I approach gluing down the part of the shell that's coming apart? Should I start from the middle and work my way to the edge bit by bit? Do it all at once and clamp it all down? I've learned that Titebond III glue works well for this, so I got some of that, but I'm not sure what clamps work best for this sort of thing. How do I go about clamping down the parts in the middle of the shell?

Also, does anyone know of a specific product that I could spray over the drum to preserve the paint? I don't want to use something like a gloss clear coat that will make it shine - I want to try to preserve the current look of the drum as best as I can.

Thanks for reading, hopefully someone can help me fix this poor old drum! Group Hug

Posted on 8 years ago

Toilet

I compressed a few of the images so I could post them directly here, just in case. ;)

4 attachments
Posted on 8 years ago

before any work was done on shell, I would make sure that drum is still in round, might be a waste of time if heads don't fit right or go on at all.

looks like drum was laying in water for a time.

Posted on 8 years ago

Awesome looking shell! I think you can fix it and there are def some wood experts here that will be able to advise you. Be patient and they will be here shortly. Good luck with the drum. I'll be following this one.

Posted on 8 years ago

From burgundy

before any work was done on shell, I would make sure that drum is still in round, might be a waste of time if heads don't fit right or go on at all.looks like drum was laying in water for a time.

Good idea, thanks for the suggestion! I just tried this with a random Evans head, and it fit pretty well. A little snug on the bottom side, so it might be a little out of round, but it fit nonetheless.

Here's a photo of the original heads LoLoLoLo

1 attachments
148.7 kB
Posted on 8 years ago

Welcome to the forum!

No expert... but think your tom can be saved. Not difficult but time consuming. Good information in this current thread:

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=387901

I can help with the ply separation issues but not the final finish.

Post any questions and I'm sure everyone here will do their best to get this shell mended.

Creighton

Nothing special here but I like them.
Posted on 8 years ago

From Creighton

Welcome to the forum!No expert... but think your tom can be saved. Not difficult but time consuming. Good information in this current thread:http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=387901I can help with the ply separation issues but not the final finish.Post any questions and I'm sure everyone here will do their best to get this shell mended.Creighton

Ah yes, I saw this thread... You did a fantastic repair!

So basically you stuck toothpicks under the damaged wood, applied glue, and clamped? What sort of clamp did you use for this? Also, did you glue it all at once, or do a small section at a time?

Posted on 8 years ago

I would fill it with dirt and put it next to the other pots behind it.

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 8 years ago

You would have to take all those ply`s and soak them, then brush them with liquid glue and roll them under pressure to save it. The pitting says the lugs will never be smooth again.

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 8 years ago

Holy Makeral... That's a challenge...

You may pick up a few clues from this thread starting around page 2 for the ply repairs.. but start with the rings would be my suggestion..

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=55376

Cheers

John

'77 Slingerland 51N,Super Rock 24,18,14,13.. COW 8,10 Concert toms
'69 Slingerland Hollywood Ace
'75 Rogers Dynasonic 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'77-78 Slingerland 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'78-79 Slingerland 5 1/4 x14 8 lug COB
'79 Biman 5 1/4, Acrolite
'82 Slingerland 5 1/4 x 14. Festival COS
'84 Tama MasterCraft Superstar 6.5 x 14, 10 lug Rosewood
'98 Slingerland (Music YO) 6" 10 Lug Maple.. NOS