Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 110.82255%

Beginning of My Bonzo

Hello friends, a few weeks ago i was looking at a kit online that was Bonham sizes. It really gave me this strong desire to have that size kit. I put some feelers out for a 26" and I was contacted the same day. Yesterday I came home from the Chicago drum show with the beginnings of my Bonham kit. I still need a 16x16 and 10x14 but I do have my 26 and 18 and a bonus 20" FT!!! The two floor toms are one number apart and the 26 doesn't have a badge. I will need quite a few things to get these together but it will be something I keep forever. As you can see the shells have a few issues but nothing that can't be fixed or that is affecting the drums. All the shells are painted white outside and at first I thought it was granitone but they are just painted gray inside. Looks like the bass drum had been dropped and pushed in at one point and someone repaired it. Its not horrible and the shell still seems to be in round. A head still goes on the way it should. I think I can probably sand the rough spot out of it and have it look fine. Both floor toms have some mold spots in them that concerned me at first but I am going to strip the paint both inside and outside of the shells. This project will take some time but I look forward to lots of pics and sharing and asking you guys questions. I may start a list of things Im looking for and post here and the wanted section soon. Thanks for looking and stay tuned.

Best

Curtis

Posted on 8 years ago

Hey man very cool project, i wanted to do the same thing but gave up. Wish I could have gone to the show but had to work. Looking forward to the progress. Are those all three ply shells?

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 8 years ago

From jccabinets

Hey man very cool project, i wanted to do the same thing but gave up. Wish I could have gone to the show but had to work. Looking forward to the progress. Are those all three ply shells?

Yes all three ply drums. Jeff C an you see the pic where it looks like the shell was dropped and it was pushed in? There's a bit of a jagged edge there. Do you think I can sand that down smooth again?

Posted on 8 years ago

Your talking about pic # 5, the spur mount? Looks like the wood is cracked between it and a lug. I would say if its unstable then have a new interior mounting plate fabricated by a metal shop that would span over the crack and extending over the lug location so that the spur and the lug are bolted through the new plate. Force some glue down into the crack and clamp it using your new plate as a mold.

You get what I mean dont ya, a large curved plate with five holes, two for the lug, two for the spur mount and one large hole for the spur to enter the shell.

Thank you!
Jeff C

Posted on 8 years ago

Gonna be a killer kit, I will be watching this thread.

Thank you!
Jeff C

Posted on 8 years ago

I saw your post on facebook, looking forward to the end results.

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 8 years ago

Yes.. spotted the deal there too.... Reckon I'll hear those all the way downunder when you start pounding away at them... Huge shell sizes..

Will be a great project..

Cheers

John

'77 Slingerland 51N,Super Rock 24,18,14,13.. COW 8,10 Concert toms
'69 Slingerland Hollywood Ace
'75 Rogers Dynasonic 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'77-78 Slingerland 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'78-79 Slingerland 5 1/4 x14 8 lug COB
'79 Biman 5 1/4, Acrolite
'82 Slingerland 5 1/4 x 14. Festival COS
'84 Tama MasterCraft Superstar 6.5 x 14, 10 lug Rosewood
'98 Slingerland (Music YO) 6" 10 Lug Maple.. NOS
Zildjian, Sabian , UFIP & Paiste mix.
Posted on 8 years ago

From jccabinets

Your talking about pic # 5, the spur mount? Looks like the wood is cracked between it and a lug. I would say if its unstable then have a new interior mounting plate fabricated by a metal shop that would span over the crack and extending over the lug location so that the spur and the lug are bolted through the new plate. Force some glue down into the crack and clamp it using your new plate as a mold.You get what I mean dont ya, a large curved plate with five holes, two for the lug, two for the spur mount and one large hole for the spur to enter the shell.

I understand what you're saying. I believe this was already glued. It feels solid. Is it safe to sand down if its solid or should I get a metal plate made like you mentioned?

Posted on 8 years ago

I was a number wrong on the serials of the floor toms. They're two numbers apart. Not bad still. Anyone (Mike Layton) have an idea on year?

PLUS! I remembered I had this 16" FT in my stash! I believe I recut the edge on it but it looks good and if it sounds good that is all that matters to me. I want this kit to be one of my forever kits so Im going to make sure each shell sounds as good as it should even if it means replacing one of them.

I found 10 T's and 5 claws too. Got my WTB post up for the other 5. Im debating using clip on spurs on this bass drum and plugging the holes or should i just buy some spurs? Thoughts?

3 attachments
Posted on 8 years ago

I'd just use real spurs since it's already drilled for them. I'd also put a shell mount cymbal holder also. what color wrap Green sparkle ?

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here