Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

78 Ludwig Classic

Last week i picked up 78' LUDWIG CLASSIC base drum and floor tom, for only $40. Since I own a 72' acrolite ( purchased for $30 4 mo. ago) i will only need to look for a comparable tom and I will restore it to its glory days. I plan to re-wrap or maybe if the exterior finish is good enough i will stain/lacquer it.

Will post some pic. when I have a chance to take some

Posted on 8 years ago

You got a killer deal on some great sounding drums. The 6-ply Ludwigs are very underrated in my opinion. Congrats.

Here's a great sounding 6-ply Ludwig kit on youtube.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_0pQwHZUOk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_0pQwHZUOk[/ame]

Posted on 8 years ago

From Mo Tonkie

You got a killer deal on some great sounding drums. The 6-ply Ludwigs are very underrated in my opinion. Congrats.Here's a great sounding 6-ply Ludwig kit on youtube.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_0pQwHZUOk

Great sound.

Love the bit of drumstick that flies off just after the snares are switched on!

Posted on 8 years ago

Ohh man !! I can't wait to get it done........ but need to be patient........ right now I 'm dealing with the glue that does not want to come off..

Posted on 8 years ago

From microswitch

Ohh man !! I can't wait to get it done........ but need to be patient........ right now I 'm dealing with the glue that does not want to come off..

Tried Goof Off?

Posted on 8 years ago

Mineral spirit... no go

Goo off... no go

paint stripper..... no go

brake cleaner.... no go

still to try..

Lacquer thinner

Goo gone

3M adhesive remover..

kerosen/gas

last resort.....

sand and re-wrap and forget about finish and lacquer..

Posted on 8 years ago

That glue residue is terrible. I used Citristrip the last time i had to clean a complete shell. Then Wd40. Applied the citristrip, let it sit a few hours, then scraped it off with a spatula. The thin coat of glue that i could discern i used WD40 and cleaned with a rag. Was good to wrap after that.

Posted on 8 years ago

I have not tried Citristrip. Will give it a try.

So far the only success i had was using Goo Gone. Spray it on let is sit for few minutes and then sand with a 100 grit. The oily film of the goo gone prevent removed material to load up on the sand paper. The glue actually rolled out. The little left i used a rough rag to completely remove it. I did about 1/3 of the bass shell so far and the wood looks great. Looks like I will stain it a bit to get enhance the grain and then lacquer it.

I do not want to rush this job. I want it to be as pristine as possible.

Posted on 8 years ago

It has been a while since I have posted an update on my 78 Classic restoration. The removal of the residual glue proved to be really a challenge.

So as I promised some pictures. (Some may not be very well documented, because of the frustration in removing the glue did not encouraged me to take pictures of the cortex removal)

** This is original condition I bought the set. Notice the Pearl MLX Tom and the Bass Spur (not original)

[Attachment: 98778]

[Attachment: 98779]

[Attachment: 98780]

[Attachment: 98781]

Posted on 8 years ago

More pictures...

[Attachment: 98782]

[Attachment: 98783]

[Attachment: 98784]

[Attachment: 98785]

Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here