Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

78 Ludwig Classic

A light Colonial Maple stain applied.

I'm not sure about the color. I will finish it using Shellac and maybe try a French Polish on it, in that case if I don't like the finish and or color it would be a lot easier to remove just by using alcohol fro the shellac and light sanding for the stain. I will also try to post a small video of my "Sanding Jig" on You tube.

[Attachment: 98786]

[Attachment: 98787]

2 attachments
Posted on 8 years ago

A quick video of the sanding jig

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjTl8py-A6g&feature=youtu.be"]My Movie - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAC_EV8EC-g&feature=youtu.be"]My Movie2 - YouTube[/ame]

Posted on 8 years ago

Looks like you made a lot of progress. I've never seen a 6-ply with an outer poplar layer, or at least the outer ply looks to be poplar. I guess anything is possible with Ludwig.

Posted on 8 years ago

If indeed it is a 6 ply Maple/Poplar and the inner ply is maple ( as I would suspect) then the outer must be poplar. And since it was black cortex originally they did not care about the outer ply. I would assume the kit with the natural finish have to be Maple. I do not plan on selling the kit once I'm done. I will pass it along my grandson. Either way I'm loving this project every step of the way, it is my therapy.

Posted on 8 years ago

Interesting thread. I dealt with the glue issue on my mid-70's Pro-Beat kit; not fun! It looks like you're making great progress, continue with the updates. I'd love to see how it turns out.

Posted on 8 years ago

Been away for a while on a business trip but here we go

The first piece of the set complete. This was more like an experiment in term of finish. So since I'm satisfied with it I will continue with the rest to complete the set.

I used a light coat of Minwax colonial maple stain.

Sanded down with 400 grit paper and then applied a French Polish finish using shellac. It was a bit of a tedious process but very rewarding. I love the finish and the picture do not do justice. There is a natural sheen to it not like those heavy coat of varnish but a very subtle sheen. I finish the coat by sanding very lightly with a 2000 grit sand paper and the surface is so smooth it feel like glass.

[Attachment: 99060]

[Attachment: 99061]

[Attachment: 99062]

3 attachments
Posted on 8 years ago

Ludwig would have chose those shells to wrap because of the "undesirable" wood grain. I think your floor tom has a unique birthmark, that no other drum has.

I love the sanding rig. Now that you are set up to keep doing this, you should build an octa-plus!

I like Drums...
1963 Ludwig Downbeat Champagne Sparkle
1964 Leedy (Slingerland) Blue n Silver Duco
1964 Ludwig Club Date Sparkling Silver Pearl
1966 Ludwig Super Classic Sparkling Silver Pearl
1968 Gretsch round badge modern jazz orange stain
1972 Slingerland 85N Pop outfit Light Blue Pearl
1976 Ludwig Vistalite clear
1981 Gretsch SSB Gran Prix Rosewood
1987 Yamaha Turbo Tour Custom Mellow Yellow
1991 Pearl Export Ferrari Red
Posted on 8 years ago

[QUOTE=clubdate64;388009 I love the sanding rig. Now that you are set up to keep doing this, you should build an octa-plus![/QUOTE]

Thank you !!

BTW sorry my ignorance.. what is an OCTA Plus"?

Posted on 8 years ago

I love the birthmark. The uglier the better!

The greatest gift you can give your family and the world is a healthy you. - Joyce Meyer
Posted on 8 years ago

From clubdate64

Ludwig would have chose those shells to wrap because of the "undesirable" wood grain. I think your floor tom has a unique birthmark, that no other drum has.I love the sanding rig. Now that you are set up to keep doing this, you should build an octa-plus!

It surely it is one of a kind. And the same birth mark shows on the bass drum too.

Incidentally it seems I have no choice but replacing the bass hoops. ( too bad of a shape) I was looking at Keller maple 10 ply or 12 ply 1 3/4 wide.

Which one of the 12 or 10 ply would best fit a 78 Ludwig classic 6 ply shell ?

Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here