Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.65971%

5 weeks to cut bearing edges??????

He's probably working on them right now, just go by and check to make sure. .....:)

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago

Hey cooldaddy - These are the Kent drums you're talking about right? As much as I *wished* they were the same shells that Gretsch used, I think all Kent collectors will agree that they certainly are NOT the same. Similar yes in that they are thin maple, but that's where the similarity ends.

Many Kent shells were nicely finished inside, but plenty were not. The gobs of brown glue, rough edges and other clues tell me that these were made in-house at the Kent factory in NY. If someone picked up a Gretsch kit and the shells looked like some of the Kent's I've seen, well Gretsch likely wouldn't have the reputation they have today.

As for the 5 week wait - Depends on the guy doing the work and just how much he has to do. I've done some bearing edge work myself and if you have to true the shells first, it can be time consuming.

Does he do this *on the side* or is it how he makes a living? If it's the latter, then I'd be concerned unless he's just backed up with lots of other work. Either way, he should have been clear that it might take him 3 - 4 weeks to get to the kit. IMHO, even working slowly, 1 week should be plenty of time to do 4 drums.

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 14 years ago

Just for some perspective:

One of my best friends is a very skilled and highly respected luthier (stringed instrument builder and repairer) who operates his one-man shop full time out of his home. Because he is one of the very best in the area at what he does, he always has a big backlog of jobs. It's not uncommon for people to leave high-end instruments with him for many months in order to get the very best quality job available. People who want the best understand this going in, and are willing to wait for the top quality work he gives on every job. People who are in more of a hurry can go elsewhere and get a faster job done by someone who isn't as much in demand - in fact, my friend regularly recommends other good local repair shops to people who don't want to wait for a standard job like a guitar set up. He's never advertised and doesn't even have a website, but people still get in line to have their guitar set ups done by my friend, because they know they'll get the best quality job from him. Of course they may have to wait until he's done reparing a Lloyd Loar mandolin or a 1959 Les Paul first, but they'll get the same attention to detail that his high end repairs get.

The point being, just because it's taking longer than you hoped it would, that doesn't automatically mean there's a problem. I don't know anything about the guy doing your bearing edges, but if he really is the best at what he does, almost by definition the trade-off is going to be that you'll have to wait longer. It takes longer to do top quality work, and there are fewer people who do it, so they're going to be busier and more in demand.

Scott

Posted on 14 years ago

Big Daddy,I know that they are not the same shells!! he commented that they are the same shells and i was not about to say no!! I guess his must have been one of the ones that was finished off pretty well??And i have no problem with waiting for quality work to be done!! I understand that it takes time.I had just bought this kit,and did not even play it and took it to him because he told me 2 weeks

1966 kent jazzer-champagne sparkle
1972 sonor 6 ply beechwood jazz set
1971 fibes chrome over fiberglass rock set
Posted on 14 years ago

From cooldaddy

Big Daddy,I know that they are not the same shells!! he commented that they are the same shells and i was not about to say no!! I guess his must have been one of the ones that was finished off pretty well??And i have no problem with waiting for quality work to be done!! I understand that it takes time.I had just bought this kit,and did not even play it and took it to him because he told me 2 weeks

Two weeks? Hmmmm........where have I heard that before? Oh! I know....thats the standard contractor answer from the movie the Money Pit! LOL! Almost a year later......LOL!

Posted on 14 years ago

Now that i posted this thread i know it looks like i am a complaining whiner,which sometimes maybe i am.....lol,But i realy just wanted to vent how frustrating it is to people who are knowledgeable about this process of cutting bearing edges! If i tried to talk to somebody on the street about this they would have no clue as to what i was talking about!! The guy doing them seems like a really nice guy,and i will never mention his name or anything to else that may hurt him!! Its just that i had to sell my gretsch kit because of money issues going on here,and i heard how nice these drums sound once you get the bearing edges done,so i did not want to ruin the experience of first playing them before they were cut!! After 5 weeks though i am very frustrated!!!

Posted on 14 years ago

Perhaps he meant "same kind of shells", as in thin and made of maple. I'm sure many of us understand your frustration (I know I do) and it's partly why I've invested in the tools and time in order to be able to do it myself. If I have a kit sitting there and I'm anxious about playing it, I have nobody to blame but me :)

I would wait the 2 weeks and check in with him. If they are done, fantastic, if not, then let him know you'll be by to pick them up and take your business elsewhere. Doing edges isn't magic and even at the snails pace I work at, I could do a 4 piece in a week easily, especially if that's all I was doing.

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 14 years ago

Yes,I think he meant that they were similar to the earlier 3 ply gretsch shells,but hey,thats a good thing!!!! For once in my life i am just going to go with the flow and let the forces that be take over!! I may just go over there and ask him how things are going,and take a quick peek to see the drums to calm me down a bit,and wait it out!! I really appreciate everybodys feedback on here!!! I really have become fascinated with the whole kent drum story,and the drums they made, and i think i found a really great condition kit finally!! and just want to know they are here to gawk at and play!! Thanks for everything!!

Posted on 14 years ago

Look, I think I know what happen. He recut the edges two days after you dropped them off. As he sat there and looked at the beautiful Kent made shells, he just had to know, what do they sound like? He fitted them up with some Remo heads and his eyes, or his ears couldn't believe what he heard. Knowing that he told you two weeks he takes them out for a gig or two. The Champagne Sparkle looks so cool, that he finds a photographer to take some photo's. With that said, I think you will be getting them back soon!

Hang in there Cooldaddy, you will be happy in the end.

Yes, Kent shells were similar to Gretsch shells of the same time period.

Mouse

"Drummer's Paradise" home of Kent Drums. Kenmore, New York
Posted on 14 years ago

Very good Mouse!!! I know you are the kent man of kent men....lol,damn you took the photo of the kent factory!!! So i say to you,it will be my pleasure to add my kit to the photo gallery of kent drums as soon as i get them back.... and that does sound like a possible scenerio that could have happened after i dropped them off......lol

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here