Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.86013%

5 weeks to cut bearing edges??????

Dropped my drums off 3 weeks ago to have my bearing edges cut.4 drums-jazz sizes,i guess your normal kind of job?? he said to give him a couple of weeks,which i thought was odd,because it was my understanding it was a fairly routine 1 day job,but i figured he may be busy??This sunday was 3 weeks,and when i emailed for status,i was told that they should be done by the end of next week,making it 5 weeks since i dropped them off.Now i am starting to worry a little!! any suggestions on what to do in this situation??

1966 kent jazzer-champagne sparkle
1972 sonor 6 ply beechwood jazz set
1971 fibes chrome over fiberglass rock set
Posted on 14 years ago

Did you ship them to get them re-cut?

Recent Purchases
-1961 SBP Pioneer Snare Drum
-1962 SBP Super Classic w/ Matching COB Supra

Working On
-1963 Red Sparkle Hollywood w/ matching Super Classic Snare

Recently Completed
-1964 WMP Super Classic
Posted on 14 years ago

No,I dropped them off.he is fairly local

Posted on 14 years ago

If the edges have not been cut, pick the drums up. My guy does it in one day, and I get to hang out and watch. 5 weeks is insane.

Rogers early Fullerton Blue Strata 22,13,16 w/brass Dynasonic
My first kit, 1983 Ludwig Rocker? (it has the classic lugs and 4ply maple shell) 22,12,13,16 ..now in black oyster pearl. I still have it
Stop Sign USA Gretsch (80's), black nitron jasper shell 22,12,13,16
1995 Fibes Austin,Texas Badge (original owner) 22,10,12,16,18 in natural wood
USA 2007 Rosewood Gretsch 22,13,16 w/12inch 70's Rosewood Gretsch tom
Posted on 14 years ago

these are 66 shells,and he commented how they are the same shells as gretsch uses,now all sorts of things are going through my mind of why it would take 5 weeks to get this done?

Posted on 14 years ago

Show up at the shop without telling him and go in and pick them up. Is it a legit business?

Recent Purchases

Working On

Recently Completed
-1964 WMP Super Classic
Posted on 14 years ago

yes,he was highly recommended by somebody who is very familiar with my drums!He told me that he has helped him many times on the drum builders forum,and he is well known for his work on vintage drum edges.He also makes his own drums.He works out of his house and is local.I was going to take it to nodar rodes,but he was closer,and i was told that he was on his caliber of work??But even Nodar(who is very famous for this!) would have had these ready a long time ago!!! You live and you learn!!! I think i will take your advice drum bum!!!

Posted on 14 years ago

Just say you have a gig the next day and need them. I bet you might be able to work him down since he has taken so long. I mean if you still want to have work done by him. But, I probably wouldn't risk it. The bearing edges can make or break the sound of a set. So, get them done with the best guy possible. Sorry if I'm confusing you!

Recent Purchases

Working On

Recently Completed
-1964 WMP Super Classic
Posted on 14 years ago

also bear in mind, that some people really want to take their time for doing things.

maybe he has heaps of other stuff to do.

especially craftsmen learn along the lines of "take your time and do it right".

if he would have told something like "i'll get back to you soon" it would be different but he told you in advance he needs some weeks.

where i live we have this guy who modifies guitar- and bassamps.

he has so much to do, that sometimes even resoldering a cable can take some weeks. he works on a first come first served basis if the customer does not explicitely call for an urgent job.

so: if you really need the shells now ask him if he can do it now or very soon or go to someone else. if you have time... well, wait :)

Posted on 14 years ago

Gretsch round badge, jazz sizes and getting the bearing edges recut? Do they really need it?

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here