Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

1973 Rogers Londoner V - New Mahogany

Rogers Memriloc model drum throne

I hate taking these first photos. This close examination reveals all of the minor flaws that you had not seen.

The large pieces of duct tape were not easy to miss. Nor the worn rubber tips or the rusty spots (which I know are cheap fixes and will clean up). But its those many added rips in the seat AND, the separation of the braket holding the lock screw on the retracting leg braces that is going to need to be bent back into place without being broken or the chrome being damaged.

I went with the 70s memriloc throne. Yes, its a post 73 piece. But it was my choice because of the the extra cushion. One of the improvements I like in the 70s.

Lets see what additional investiment my initial $20 investment will require...

Pictures of the as purchased are here

Rogers, Rogers and Rogers.
In that order.
Oh and Zildjian and Ludwig.
And this ash tray.
Posted on 12 years ago

thanks for the info, Im in the process of cleaning and polishing my 72 set, Ill relook at these pieces kdog

Posted on 12 years ago

Not much progress on the throne..., ha ha... don't mean that in a personal way, since last post.

Yesterday I pulled off the duct tape and used "GooGone" spray gel to remove the sticky gunk residue. Again, I am talking about my memriloc drum throne here.

Pictures attached.

Pix one, two, and three

I am leaning towards original stock vinyl. Considered a cool leather with custom embroidery, but do not want to steer any further away than I already have (i.e. memriloc) from my original intent to restore as close to stock as possible.

In that order.
And this ash tray.
Posted on 12 years ago

Continuing to clean the Memriloc throne...

evenings while watching TV. Of all the "Rogers" pieces, (hint: excluding cymbals), this is taking the most effort. There are many of those tough to reach spots with tiny spots of rust. But as you know, the rusts can be removed and the pitting is not very visible. The stand is cleaning up!

New Rubber Feet I broke down today and ordered new rubber feet on eBay. Yes I paid eBay prices for new robber feet. I mean rubber. Add another $11.56 to restoration costs.

The throne needs all three replaced as there are holes in each. I flipped them around for now so there is rubber on the floor, but that won't last long.

I will use two rubber feet and the two washers for the bass drum internal spurs. They were missing when I originally purchased the kit. I have always been on the carpet, so it really has not been an issue.

Other interesting news(for those of us on a budget and looking for good deals) are the cases I have picked up for the 6 cymbal stands.

Pictures here

The first is what a friend from work called a "map case". He brought several posters into work to put on the wall last year. The case had that way cool vintage look and I expressed that to him and he said that I could have it. Well I could not just take it and after a couple days we finally settled on $5. Its got that old drum case type of look and can hold three stands and a cymbal rod, which is all I need for my four cymbals.

The second case is a "Slide Sledge" case. It is a very heavy nylon that is extra reinforced at the seams and straps. I saw it in a thrift store for $3.99. I looked like about the right size for my stands so I grabbed it. It will hold all 6 but its a tight squeeze.

So bottom line here, I paid $8.99 for two very useful cases and $11.56 for 10 rubber feet and 4 washers.

No need to ask what was the better deal.

Final Note That Elmer's glue used to create the threads on the hi-hat flange tilter bushing is still holding screw in place!!! Good old Elmer's. The fix that did not cost a penny.

In that order.
And this ash tray.
Posted on 12 years ago

Three New Lessons

I had mentioned that I purchased rubber tips on eBay and paid a premium.

In the process of purchasing, I sent the seller a question about sizes and explained my needs. The question led to a phone call with another vintage Rogers enthusiast and an education on rubber tips.

Long story short:

1) Double brace rubber feet are larger than octagon floor tom and sprur rubber feet

2) A premium price can get you premium service

3) Great people do sell on eBay!

All I need is on its way!

In that order.
And this ash tray.
Posted on 12 years ago

Disassembled and Cleaned

This throne has been ridden hard.

Parts are heavily worn. But Rogers was so well built, its still fully functional.

Check out the shine! Pix

More later on the cleaning process.

Going to see my 14 month old twin nephews.

Hope one of them takes an interest in drums.

This kit will wind up in my will.

In that order.
And this ash tray.
Posted on 12 years ago

Wear

Added three pics to album showing the wear:

1. The clamp, compare the top picture 6, to bottom, picture 12.

2. Picture 13, shows the internal shaft with deep gouges.

3. Last picture Center stand sleeve.

Cleaning

The rust on the chrome was not coming off this century with Brasso. I went to a steel wool and a light touch then followed up with the Brasso for the final cleanup. Pitting on this is the worst of all the pieces.

I used a steel brush and SOS on aluminum base and parts. It had heavy stains and took a heavy hand to bring back the metal shine.

I very lightly, and with a fine grain, sanded the wooden seat base to remove some of the surface dirt. I did not try to go deeper to address the stains.

White lithium grease was used to lube the swivel area.

So far I have between 4 and 5 hours into cleaning the throne.

Even with the worn metal. gouges, tears and pitting, this is a great piece of Rogers history.

In that order.
And this ash tray.
Posted on 12 years ago

What to Do with the Throne Seat continued...?

I was leaning towards original stock vinyl but I can not find any.

Other options considered.

1. A no cost approach is to use a seat from one of my other stands. I have a white seat from a stool that can be seen in other pictures of the kit (the one with wheels) or black seat from a cheap no name stool. Either could be fitted to the Rogers stand.

2. I have been to two furniture upholsterers. The first wants $140 for a new retro vinyl (extremely similar) and like replacement foam. A second wants $125 for a brown vinyl (not even close) and new foam. I shared with each of them that the stitching is very tight on the original seat. And the seam around the top, although not piping, has an appearance of a very thin pipe. The first upholster was confident and indicated that he could come close to the original including recreating the seam. The second would not entertain the discussion. The more I think about it, the more I would want to save the original. The second said putting the old back on would be difficult as there would be little material to grip when stapling.

3. Having a cover made and leave the existing vinyl in place. Attached with either a draw string or snaps.

4. Cut a new wooden base (3/4" 5 ply) myself (Picture) and use the first upholsterer. This preserves the original if I would ever need it. How would I cut this other than free hand with a jig saw or band saw? I guess I could rig something up to spin the plywood while leaving the saw stationary. That could be interesting.

5. Then there is always the buy another vintage seat. Once in awhile you see them on eBay.

6. I realized this evening that I had saved the 8'x 4' pool/ping pong table cover from the old firehouse table when we replaced it. The vinyl is of 70s vintage. When I pulled it out of my shed, I found it is remarkably similar in appearance to the seat. (Picture) If a) I could settle for a close match and b) I could get an upholsterer to use it, I might save myself a few bucks.

Other news. The rubber tips for feet came today. They work great!

In that order.
And this ash tray.
Posted on 12 years ago

Thank you for this great thread!

Cleaning hardware and watching tv is probably a very common practice around these parts.

Patrick

Posted on 12 years ago

Time to replace the strap on the kick drum pedal.

I ordered a replacement from stayinthebeat. All positive feedback from me!!

Cleaned up a little rust on the screws and leather residue on the beater cam and I am back in business.

Got to love Rogers.

Pictures here

In that order.
And this ash tray.
Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here