Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

1973 Rogers Londoner V - New Mahogany

Thanks again!

Made it down to Russo's Music this afternoon and picked up a 12 pack of Gibraltar tension rod washers to replace the 6 missing and one odd washers from the toms.

The odd washer on the left, an original center, and the new Gibraltar on the right.

You can see a fair amount of wear.

I will rest easier tonight knowing the washers are in place. (I am going a little nuts over restoration).

2 attachments
Rogers, Rogers and Rogers.
In that order.
Oh and Zildjian and Ludwig.
And this ash tray.
Posted on 12 years ago

Now for the DYNA-SONIC CUSTOM BUILT.

Cleaning and a new head.

No bridge. Came that way. I have been watching for one but I want one that is in similar condition as the snare and does not require I take out a loan or sell a kidney.

4 attachments
In that order.
And this ash tray.
Posted on 12 years ago

I am SOOOOOOOOOOO enjoying this thread. Excellent work and excellent choices. Keep it going.

What Would You Do
Posted on 12 years ago

Thank you.

I sincerely appreciate being able to participate in a forum with folks who appreciate incredible instruments.

Just finished the snare.

Here are some shots and notes about the progression...

These four shots at the more significant of the six marks on the snare. All very small and can only be seen by removing the rims and performing a close examination.

In that order.
And this ash tray.
Posted on 12 years ago

Tension rods are all in very good condition and include all the washers.

To clean:

1) Soaked in degooping liquid

2) With a paper towel and finger nail spun down the thread twice

3) Then spun aluminum foil down the threads

4) Removed the degooping liquid with windex and vinegar

5) Using Brasso, cleaned the non-tread area

Light weight oil was used on bottom half inch while reinstalling

The wires are no name made in Taiwan. What in the world happened to the bridge. What was the throught processes for removing it and not replacing it? I have to put it back on as I have no alternative at this point.

2 attachments
In that order.
And this ash tray.
Posted on 12 years ago

The joint inside the snare is pretty profound. There is no missing it. Welded, ground flat and not polished. None the less, I polished the interior with Brasso.

The tone control was in place when purchased. It is identical to those that I placed on the toms. I polished it with brasso as well.

2 attachments
In that order.
And this ash tray.
Posted on 12 years ago

I put some time into polishing the exterior. This snare is in such good shape, it made the process a real pleasure. Here are four shots of it on the Supreme II snare drum stand which was something I purchased from eBay. The kit came with a no name snare stand which is available for $20 and free shipping. Just tell me where to send the stand and the Andrew Jackson. (I'm kidding). Its just the irony of this snare on that stand.

In that order.
And this ash tray.
Posted on 12 years ago

And finally the before and after!!

2 attachments
In that order.
And this ash tray.
Posted on 12 years ago

The drums look great

Posted on 12 years ago

Thanks mmtango!

When I purchased the set, it came with a no name snare stand. I watched eBay for a while and finally settled this Supreme II Snare stand. It was not mint but it was affordable.

Aside from the many scratches, there were two main issues:

1. A non-original wing nut opposite the thumb screw. Not to sure what original actually is. The catalog does not call out a part.

2. One plastic cap was missing. I looked for a long time for a plastic cap replacement with no success. Somewhere along the line I ran into plastic dip. It works as advertised. But it does not have the luster of the standard cap. The dip was the better alternative to other options.

This evening I used Brasso on the stand. I removed the thumb screw that opens/closes the snare cradle and used a brillo pad on the threads... yes, steel wool. I did it even though its considered taboo. But the threads cleaned up well and now look and operate like new. I did not use the steel wool on anything else although temped on a couple spots on the stand. I agree it is all too easy to dull the surface luster. For threads, I now have a better solution.

Once clean, I lubed the threaded and rivited points. Its now shiny and operates very smoothly.

The after pix are not to clear. I will post better shots sometime.

The snare promises to be much happier in this shinier and smooth operating cradled.

In that order.
And this ash tray.
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here