Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.26305%

1960's Ludwig 400 Out Of Round

From OddBall

From the first photo I can see the damage at ten o`clock, and two o`clock, then near the throw-off. I would guess that drum was squished by the snare stand and the whole drum is out of round.

It would be virtually impossible for this to happen. First of all, you'd need A LOT of force, because you'd be crushing the hoop first, then a spun COB shell which is VERY stiff.

I say that it is more likely that the drum was dropped at some point with the snare head off. Spun shells are inherently round, and need to be forced OUT of round.

JR Frondelli
www.frondelli.com
www.dbmproaudio.com

Mediocre is the new "good"
Posted on 13 years ago

From jfra545365

If it sounds great at your gigs (not in your room), just leave it be and use it as the tool that it is, in short time you'll likely forget its cosmetic faults and fall in love with its sound, and over time you'll be glad you didn't take a chance on messing it up.Supras sound absolutely great and are hard to beat! (a little pun there)

Good advice man, cheers! i wish i knew what good sounded like though, i've not played enough snare drums to know! and what i hear on records has most likely been altered or played in a room with great acoustics.

Posted on 13 years ago

From KeiranKavanagh

lol!! grrrr i dont know what to do with the snare. keep it and ignore the out of round-ness? maybe try get it fixed? no idea how i'd go about that, sell it on for half the money i payed? :(

Welcome! I hate to hear of this sort of thing, but since it came from a more than likely "reputable source", why don't you contact the studio and explain to them your finding. First of all, the out of round will cause issues for ever. Second, if you don't like the drum, get the documentation and move it on, through ebay or CraigsList and let the next owner deal with it. If, on the other hand you bought it through ebay, send it back and get a full refund by claiming SNAD (Significantly Not As Described). Since this drum is from a studio that has a reputation to maintain, I would be almost assured they would want to keep from public harassment.

If you do end up keeping this snare, you should take a fine sandpaper and knock the flaking off the bearing edges so that it won't cut your new heads. Sometimes these drums flake and the only way you can keep them from cutting heads is to sand the affected area.

Good Luck with her. At least try contacting the seller and explain to them your situation and that you would like your money back. The reason they sold the drum in the first place was because they could no longer make it sound good, so they likely knew it was screwed up. And likely know exactly how it happened. More than likely it was dropped and bent.

BTW, the only Supra with crimped beds would be a chrome over brass, and they do warp and become distorted much easier than the aluminum alloy shells.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 13 years ago

From jonnistix

Welcome! I hate to hear of this sort of thing, but since it came from a more than likely "reputable source", why don't you contact the studio and explain to them your finding. First of all, the out of round will cause issues for ever. Second, if you don't like the drum, get the documentation and move it on, through ebay or CraigsList and let the next owner deal with it. If, on the other hand you bought it through ebay, send it back and get a full refund by claiming SNAD (Significantly Not As Described). Since this drum is from a studio that has a reputation to maintain, I would be almost assured they would want to keep from public harassment.If you do end up keeping this snare, you should take a fine sandpaper and knock the flaking off the bearing edges so that it won't cut your new heads. Sometimes these drums flake and the only way you can keep them from cutting heads is to sand the affected area.Good Luck with her. At least try contacting the seller and explain to them your situation and that you would like your money back. The reason they sold the drum in the first place was because they could no longer make it sound good, so they likely knew it was screwed up. And likely know exactly how it happened. More than likely it was dropped and bent. BTW, the only Supra with crimped beds would be a chrome over brass, and they do warp and become distorted much easier than the aluminum alloy shells.

Hey man thanks for your reply! and I didn't purchase it off a studio I bought it of an established and known artist! although not very big anymore, I'm sure everyone has heard of the animals. Getting in contact with him is quite difficult he doesn't seem to answer his phone or return my calls, also im a big afraid of sanding the edge, i am also afraid of my head being torn :( the drum also doesn't sound too bad? are you sure there is no way it can be rescued? i will try get a recording of the drum and upload it although it will change sound in all different rooms, it holds tune. but to be honest i dont know how to tell, all the lugs sound similar!

Posted on 13 years ago

can someone post what a crimped snare bed looks like? if im correct its a slight move inwards of the bearing edge where the snare ends are? mine has it but its badly pitted and is quite light...

Posted on 13 years ago

From KeiranKavanagh

can someone post what a crimped snare bed looks like? if im correct its a slight move inwards of the bearing edge where the snare ends are? mine has it but its badly pitted and is quite light...

A crimped snare bed is exactly as you describe. Look at the "sticky thread" for Is my Ludwig a Brass...."

http://vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=9441

This should have enough description and photos to make it right for you.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 13 years ago

From jonnistix

A crimped snare bed is exactly as you describe. Look at the "sticky thread" for Is my Ludwig a Brass...."http://vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=9441This should have enough description and photos to make it right for you.

Mine has the baseball bat muffler with a white felt on it, it has pitting, and crimped snare beds, it also has a serial number from 1964/65. I think its ludalloy.

Posted on 13 years ago

From jrfrond

It would be virtually impossible for this to happen. First of all, you'd need A LOT of force, because you'd be crushing the hoop first, then a spun COB shell which is VERY stiff.I say that it is more likely that the drum was dropped at some point with the snare head off. Spun shells are inherently round, and need to be forced OUT of round.

Hardly,...I have a cheap stand and would have no problem over-tightening and denting my stare and it`s steel. There are also stands that don`t touch the rims at all.

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 13 years ago

Any idea on where i'd get a 14" circular jig haha? I'm wondering if anyone knows of any drum shops or people in england that could repair this drum?

Posted on 13 years ago

I don't think a quarter inch is that bad.. as long as the head is making contact it should be fine. it is almost 50 years old! maybe it was dropped in like 1970 or something and every owner has been playing it like that for 40 years? Just sayin, dont let it bother you until its actually giving you problems, didnt you say the guy at the drum shop said it sounded amazing? good luck with it, im sure its still an awesome drum!

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here