Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.26305%

1960's Ludwig 400 Out Of Round

I was wondering if there is anyway to fix a 1960's ludwig 400 that is out of round on the snare side, by about 1/2 or 1/4 an inch?

basically got scammed when i bought it the guy clearly knew about it and didnt tell me :( quite knew to vintage drums this is the first snare drum ive purchased vintage or new so I wasn't looking out for anything like that.

Posted on 13 years ago

How can your drum be out of round on only one edge ? Are you refering to the snare beds that are supposed to be there ? Could you show us a photo ?

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 13 years ago

Just measured it with the rims and skin on seems to be about 1/4" out of round just on the snare side, i know snare beds were crimped but its out of round at a different place to the snare beds. the skin doesn't sit very well on the drum, i got it at a normal price so i expected to be told of any faults it might of had, :/ only noticed when i spent £40 reskinning and putting new snare wires on it, all the tension bolts were different and dodgy and it had a batter head in place of the reso when i bought it, so i thought the reason for its bad sound was down to that, which it was partially it sounds all good now ive tuned and reskinned, bit of annoying ring but i dont know how they're supposed to sound, not sure if it being out of round is making a difference :(.

here are some pictures.

there is also some pitting on the bearing edge of the drum causing the edge to be uneven im wondering if this will effect the sound?

[IMG]http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/216167_2041592678608_1208050899_32528959_3012091_n.jpg[/IMG]

you can see its out of round

[IMG]http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/215861_2041592398601_1208050899_32528957_933352_n.jpg[/IMG]

the pitting on the bearing edge, sorry for the low quality image (stupid ipod)[IMG]http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/215295_2041590438552_1208050899_32528944_6077370_n.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/208751_2041589638532_1208050899_32528940_6882610_n.jpg[/IMG]

an attempt at measuring shows it to be a quarter inch out of round.

I'm 17 and have had a mapex m-birch kit for years and ive never really played or practised on it because i didn't like the sound and had no where to practice, I've just joined a band and we're gigging quite often so I had to upgrade my gear, my mapex snare was far worse than the toms, so I looked around for snares and fell in love with the idea of having a 60's supra like some of my favourite drummers in their day, got one and now there's issues, it is to expected with a 60's drum i guess, but i just want to get the drum as best as i can because i plan on settling on it and keeping, I've not got a lot of money to throw around so i want to get the best out of what I have got, cheers.

Posted on 13 years ago

From the way your measuring the drum. Do you have the rims still on the drum?

also it is the rims that are not in true round, from what I'm seeing, to measure the shell you'll need to take the rims and heads completely off and measure only the shell. I would highly doubt that the shell is out of round?? so let me recap, if from what I saw your measuring the rims which can be out of round!

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 13 years ago

From vintagemore2000

From the way your measuring the drum. Do you have the rims still on the drum? also it is the rims that are not in true round, from what I'm seeing, to measure the shell you'll need to take the rims and heads completely off and measure only the shell. I would highly doubt that the shell is out of round?? so let me recap, if from what I saw your measuring the rims which can be out of round!

I know what you mean, the drum is out of round though, I took it to my local drum store and replaced the head and snares instore the guy helping me do it noticed the head not sitting correctly and we measured it with everything off skin/rim etc and it was out of round and i think it was more out of round than it is when i measured it again today with the rims and skin off. the rims are not out of round, even if they are the drum its self is still out of round on the snare side.

Was wondering if there is anyway to fix because you can't really steam heat and aluminium drum and bend it back can you?

Posted on 13 years ago

From the first photo I can see the damage at ten o`clock, and two o`clock, then near the throw-off. I would guess that drum was squished by the snare stand and the whole drum is out of round. If you have no expierence with sheet metal, only a sheet metal Co. could true it back up, in wich case the chrome will flake and as you can see it will cost more than the drum is worth !!

The correct forming machine is the only way to repair it,..anything else would be half as, and you would need to re-finnish it.

Posted on 13 years ago

Oh crap, i bought it as a players drum not a museum piece anyway, and it doesn't sound bad, the guy at the shop where i put the skins on said it sounded amazing, in the room we played it it did, in my bedroom sounds crap like everything else lol.

How much do you think its worth? nothing i presume its not badly out of round that you cant get a skin on the skin sits on fine with just a little bit of movement.

Posted on 13 years ago

Because it was assembled when squished, it wont be all that bad. It will still be a players drum. There are others here who know more about value than I. There are un-written rules to follow when putting a snare on a stand !!

Posted on 13 years ago

I actually bought it off the lead singer of the animals current line up Peter Barton and apparently it was used in the studio by John Steel and on tour., so its most likely been damaged while on tour by roadies. I am quite let down though, I doubt he would have no known about the damage.

Posted on 13 years ago

Well in that case,

Don`t let me be misunderstood,..You gotta get out of this mess, if it`s the last thing you ever do, that drum has been the ruins of many-o poor boy, and god I know you`re one !!

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here