Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.66180%

1940 Ludwig & Ludwig Resto

Hola Amigos,

Wanted to get your advice on removing paint that was sprayed over some duco shells. I picked up this 1940 Ludwig & Ludwig kit from VDF member Bizz and I am stoked! This is kit is basically all original, aside from the gold paint that someone put on this beauty over the original black/gold duco finish. It looks like someone else started removing the gold paint and Bizz has confirmed that he was able to remove some paint just by scratching it with his fingernail. I won't get the kit until next week, but what's the best approach to removing the gold paint without affecting the original duco finish? Pics attached.

Thanks,

Aaron

- EMD
Posted on 8 years ago

I've personally always gone with Klean Strip Paint Remover. You can either get the brush or spray on version. It's fast acting, and if you work in small areas you'll be able to remove the gold without damaged the original finish underneath. I've used it many times to get down to a base layer of paint that had been painted over through the years. The longer it sits, the more paint it will eat through. But I wonder, if Bizz was able to scratch some of the gold off, perhaps just using a mild abrasive pad would remove it as well, with no need for any remover.

18 Kits & 40+ snares..
Not a Guru, just addicted to drums

- Jay
Posted on 8 years ago

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 8 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions, Fellas. I'm leery of using any paint strip agents since it is a duco finish, but I will check out the situation more when I get the tubs delivered next week.

- EMD
Posted on 8 years ago

What a great project !

I bet that sprayed on gold paint will come off easily.

Try to avoid the chemical remover I would say.

What are your plans with the calf bottom heads.

I have no idea how these things sound like.

I wish sets like that would be available over here in Europe,...

Keep us updated please.

Stef

Posted on 8 years ago

I've ised Klean strip a lot to remove paint. I would never use it if I was trying to save the original paint underneath. It's powerful fast acting stuff. I thought citrus strip was used to do layers? Maybe someone can chime in that has used it. Good luck and nice drums!

Curtis

Posted on 8 years ago

Hey Fellas...update on this project. I got her delivered and started going to work on the floor tom with a plastic scraper, then gave her a quick hand polish. Also gave the hardware a quick clean/polish and I have to admit...these are going to turn out nice!

- EMD
Posted on 8 years ago

From stedi

What a great project !I bet that sprayed on gold paint will come off easily.Try to avoid the chemical remover I would say.What are your plans with the calf bottom heads.I have no idea how these things sound like.I wish sets like that would be available over here in Europe,...Keep us updated please.Stef

Hey Stef!

Yes...the gold paint is not too difficult to take off...although I'm not looking forward to the time it will take me with the bass drum! Believe it or not...the tacked bottom heads are completely in tact on the 12" and 16" toms and the 11" has a small hole. I will use as is. I wish you had access to a kit like this...it is truly a piece of history! Now if I could only find the matching snare some day...

Best,

Aaron

- EMD
Posted on 8 years ago

I actually see snares for this period somewhat often. I've come across a few that match my kit. I honestly feel like I recently saw one with your finish. Those drums are coming out beautifully. If the hole on the 11" ever gets bigger, I ( as well as a few others on here ) could take care of that for you.

I'm personally jealous of your tom cradle for the 16". I had to make my own version by cutting on of my extra snare stands down. Works fine, but I'd love to find a period correct cradle. If you could, would you mind taking a few photos of just the cradle. Aside catalog photos I've not gotten a good look at one.

18 Kits & 40+ snares..
Not a Guru, just addicted to drums

- Jay
Posted on 8 years ago

Could I please see a pic of BD rail arch and the tom mount bracket that fits it please?

Do your tom brackets fit on the rail?

I have an arch rail that is just a little to fat for my Ludwig and Ludwig brackets to slip

over.

Looks Great Man.

BLAEMIRE DRUMS
Thanks to Mr. Jerry Jenkins
Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here