Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

1929 Ludwig Standard Sensitive

Hello friends,

Its been awhile since I've posted due to health issues. Doing much better now and am back with this restoration just completed.

Came across this very rare 1929 6.5 X 14 Nickel over Brass Ludwig Standard Sensitive. This drum only appears in the Fall 1929 catalog and that's it. Maybe it was discontinued due to Black Friday and the great Depression that followed? In any case, it was only made for 1 season! I traded my soul to get it but... it has a 2-piece beaded-brass shell, Professional Strainer with Upper Snare and Strainer. Both strainers work as new because they were well cared for.

The drummer who owned it was a hard working guy who looked after the source of his livelihood. The strainer(s) were well caked with oil and most of the leading edges of the tube lugs and rim clips have the nickel plating worn off due to the drum constantly being moved "in and out" it's case. That's ok though because it tells the story of this fine instrument. My guess is he played the later Vaudeville Circuit of the early 30's before playing the Swing/Dance Band Halls that dotted The North Shore of Lake Erie, and Ohio's Erie shore at the time. Guy Lombardo and Duke Ellington enjoyed their hay-day in these dance halls! I came across the drum in this part of Ontario.

After about 10 hours of gentle cleaning/refurbishing, here's the result. Snare is all original except four brass washers on t-rods, new bottom Snappy Snare, and new heads. I sourced out the replacement snare from Ludwig to match the original James Snappy snare but still have the original. The original upper snare, only missing a couple of wires is intact and works well as do all the mechanics that were well cared for by the working drummer who owned it. Enjoy...

"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing..."
Posted on 7 years ago

That drum is a mechanical wonder and a thing of beauty to any drummer. Thanks for sharing...

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 7 years ago

Looks like a work of art. Great drum and nice work!

Posted on 7 years ago

Beautiful drum and job. Glad you have recovered. It would be cool if you could put a short video to show how it sounds.

Posted on 7 years ago

Thanks guys! It was a joy to bring her back to life :)

Here's a couple more pics...;) As suggested Jim, I will put a video together.

-kellyj

Posted on 7 years ago

Hi Guys,

As requested by jimorlando, here is a video of this snare.

Oops! meant to say nickel over brass... my bad :)

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naRv7cbrpJ0&t=103s"]Crazy Army! Snare solo on 1929 Ludwig Standard Sensitive - YouTube[/ame]

Enjoy!

-kellyj

Posted on 7 years ago

Kelly

Wow. Drum sounds great and you played it beautifully.

Thanks!

Posted on 7 years ago

Wow! What an articulate drum and the difference in the snare sounds is so cool. When they are both on it takes on real depth in the sound. Wonderful drum and you picked the perfect thing to play on it for us. Thank you so much for doing it. You're a lucky guy, excellent, rare drum. Enjoy.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 7 years ago

Kelly

What kind of heads did you use?

Thanks again for sharing.

Posted on 7 years ago

Thanks, the joy I get from the old snares is really hard to describe :) You're right Purdie Shuffle... when the top snare is on, the snare just cracks! Marching Scottish snares use the same system, to get that snare response that travels outdoors for miles! My guess is when they installed the top "sensitive" snare it was meant to pierce anything in the room...

To answer your question Jim, the bottom head is a regular "Remo Weatherking Snare". I though of putting calf heads on to be truly vintage but dang-it, I want to play the thing ..lol..

The top head is a "Coated Diplomat", normally reserved as a resonant tom head because they are thinner and vibrate much faster than Ambassadors. I thought the thinner Diplomat was necessary to pick up the top snare contact response be more articulate than would a Coated Ambassador. Low and behold it is! I suppose I could have used an Evans G1 as well to get a similar response. Its just rigorous enough to be a batter head but not much more.

cheers!

-kelly

1 attachments
Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here