Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.66180%

Zoomatic strainer replacement?

Howdy all,

I recently acquired a vintage Slingerland snare with a Zoomatic strainer that's seemingly pretty shot.

It loosens up and I have to keep readjusting it. Is this the nature of the beast?

I'd like to know if there are any replacement options I could buy that would work more reliably and, here's the hard part, wouldn't require drilling more holes in the shell? The brand/make doesn't matter.

Many thanks for any and all assistance!

Posted on 16 years ago

From perry

Howdy all,I recently acquired a vintage Slingerland snare with a Zoomatic strainer that's seemingly pretty shot. It loosens up and I have to keep readjusting it. Is this the nature of the beast?I'd like to know if there are any replacement options I could buy that would work more reliably and, here's the hard part, wouldn't require drilling more holes in the shell? The brand/make doesn't matter.Many thanks for any and all assistance!

I'll assume it's just the hand knob that's loosening? If so, a bit of teflon tape of the type plumbers use on the threads of pipe might do the trick. It put's just a bit of friction on the threads and makes it less likely to loosen through vibrations from playing. You might have to experiment with how much to get the right amount of friction.

You'll have an easier time putting the tape on it if you remove the head and then remove the strainer from the shell with the bolts holding it to the shell. Unthread the entire length of the threaded knob which will remove the entire strainer from the drum and THEN put the tape on the threads. No need to completely dissemble the strainer, just removing it from the shell should be plenty. Good time to check the tightness of the other screws on the strainer too.

TIP:

When installing the tape, start at the tip and follow the direction of the threads, it will lessen the chance of it falling off from tightening the knob.

I didn't think you REALLY wanted to put on some strange strainer to your Vintage drum, did you??

Hope this helps!!

[COLOR=#FFFFFF].

[/COLOR]

Most respect the badge, but all fear the drum.

Things to share
Thanks are implied
You are always welcome
Listen To BONHAM here!!
ViperSpace
Posted on 16 years ago

another option is that if you dont want to deal with it, put the zoomatic up on ebay and get a nice price for it, and buy a throw off with adjustable spacing

Posted on 16 years ago

From drummerdude

another option is that if you dont want to deal with it, put the zoomatic up on ebay and get a nice price for it, and buy a throw off with adjustable spacing

Although that would work from a mechainical point of view, the problem with that option is you'll probably have to drill the shell of the VINTAGE drum to mount the new throwoff. Not an option if you wish to retain the value of the drum.

[COLOR=#FFFFFF].

[/COLOR]

Things to share
Thanks are implied
You are always welcome
Listen To BONHAM here!!
ViperSpace
Posted on 16 years ago

Thats why I said a new throw with adjustable hole spacing, that way you wont need to drill new holes

Posted on 16 years ago

From drummerdude

Thats why I said a new throw with adjustable hole spacing, that way you wont need to drill new holes

Ahhhh, I stand corrected. Who makes such a throwoff? Would it adapt to the top only mounting of the Zoomatic?

[COLOR=#FFFFFF].

[/COLOR]

Things to share
Thanks are implied
You are always welcome
Listen To BONHAM here!!
ViperSpace
Posted on 16 years ago

Correct on that Viper...

There is an article I have for fixing a problem with the Zoomatic which has worked for me and others..

Zoomatic Strainer Article

Here is a web site that I built for a friend...

Presto Plate Snare Adapting Plate

David

Posted on 16 years ago

From Vipercussionist

Ahhhh, I stand corrected. Who makes such a throwoff? Would it adapt to the top only mounting of the Zoomatic?[COLOR=#FFFFFF]...[/COLOR]__________________Most respect the badge, but all fear the drum.

I cant say for certain that these will fit, but I do know people rave about them, never used one personally.

http://www.drumfoundry.com/p-3476-rck-throwoff-chrome-plated-rckthrow-chr.aspx

http://www.drumfoundry.com/p-85-taye-flip-down-strainer-butt-st09.aspx

Posted on 16 years ago

These do look like very nice and sleek strainers. I'm sure they perform equally as well.

The problem here is that the Zoomatic has two holes on the top - left and right and one hole on the bottom.

Sort of an upside down triangle and a hole at all three points.

So there are not two holes that line up together going vertical.

David

Posted on 16 years ago

oh I see, in that case the best bet is to add the spring, or make an adaptor plate if you want to use another throw off.

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here