Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.85595%

Yamaha D-20 restoration / modernization

I was wondering if a more precise date of manufacture can be determined on this kit.

The serial numbers seem low (12" tom is 1724) so I was wondering if this was an early one. Most of these drums I see have much higher serial numbers.

I checked at the top of the site here but that covers Ludwig predominantly. I can date the later drums (the two letters do that) but not these!

Anyone with some insight, please chime in! I'm curious!

Cobalt Blue Yamaha Recording Custom 20b-22b-8-10-12-13-15-16f-18f
Red Ripple '70's Yamaha D-20 20b-12-14f
Piano Black Yamaha Recording Custom Be-Bop kit 18b-10-14f
Snares:
Yamaha COS SDM5; Yamaha Cobalt Blue RC 5-1/2x14; Gretsch round badge WMP; 1972 Ludwig Acrolite; 1978 Ludwig Super Sensitive; Cobalt Blue one-off Montineri; Yamaha Musashi 6.5X13 Oak; cheap 3.5X13 brass piccolo
Posted on 11 years ago

Ok a minor update:I was asking others about CLR for cleaning rusty hardware and lug mounting screws and ended up trying it myself.DAMN it works well. The internal hardware was all mostly brown with light surface rust and after it looks quite nice!After that test I did the 16 tension screws for the floor tom. Those were in for two days I guess, and those look like brand new. The interesting thing I discovered is that the washers for these screws are conical shaped somewhat and appear to be brass or something- not steel (based on the color).I also grabbed a new 20" coated Emperor and some white felt strip from the fabric store. (I also got a couple squares of black for wrapping the lug springs- $0.44 each ~12X12 square!) And today I received a set of six t-rods and claws... But, they were from a steel hooped 22" bass, which apparently has a square profile (like a modern hoop) and not a rounded profile like my 20" wood hoop has... Not the end of the world, and the t-rods are perfect, so we'll see what happens.And I found a pair of bass spurs that even have the rubber tips.The Rim mount did not show today. Strange, but maybe the storm is to blame.Trying to get a Land-Rover engine swap done too, so my time to work on this is limited unfortunately...

Jim, I got the wrap off the shell in one piece today..A tip about the claws you can rework the claws two ways if you have a piece of a wood hoop that you can used put a claw on it and litey tap it with a rubber head hammer this will make the claws bend and rounded to fit the wood hoop or you could used a pair of pliers and do the same thing just put some tape over the claws so you will not mark them up....Mikey

Posted on 11 years ago

I was thinking the same thing but with a piece of steel round stock (.250 or so- .375 is too big) wrapped with some tape. The claws seem a bit stiff at the ends due to the 'bump' stiffener in this area. Fortunately I have eight original ones to use as guides to get them right.

And in other news, my bass drum spurs and 12" rim mount arrived yesterday. I'm cleaning those up and will post another pic of the old 12 on a modern mount...

I was thinking, with this finish it almost looks like a Club Custom with a finish they don't offer (I sort of like the orange streak finish) so I have been thinking I may change all the wing screws I can to the current Yamaha ones and use all current single braced stands... It might be a cool hybrid kit- vintage drums with modern hardware. I will of course moth ball all the original parts, but I think it might be a cool idea. What is the consensus on that idea?

Snares:
Yamaha COS SDM5; Yamaha Cobalt Blue RC 5-1/2x14; Gretsch round badge WMP; 1972 Ludwig Acrolite; 1978 Ludwig Super Sensitive; Cobalt Blue one-off Montineri; Yamaha Musashi 6.5X13 Oak; cheap 3.5X13 brass piccolo
Posted on 11 years ago

The 12 is done!

'modern' Yamaha mount on a Pacific branded Rim mount, ready for action.Cool1

Sounds great! This thing sings!

1 attachments
Snares:
Posted on 11 years ago

From MIKEY777

Jim, I got the wrap off the shell in one piece today......Mikey

So, is it available? PM me if you want...Cool1

Snares:
Posted on 11 years ago

I was wondering if a more precise date of manufacture can be determined on this kit.The serial numbers seem low (12" tom is 1724) so I was wondering if this was an early one. Most of these drums I see have much higher serial numbers.I checked at the top of the site here but that covers Ludwig predominantly. I can date the later drums (the two letters do that) but not these!Anyone with some insight, please chime in! I'm curious!

J!M, On dating these drums is hard the serial numbers tell not a thing when its comes to dating these drums.But the lugs/badges on the drums on.The lug and badge i see would date your drums from about 1972 on.The lugs you have are the second type/shape that Yahama used.The photo iam posting is the lug that Yahama used from 1967-1971 maybe up to 1972 when they ran out of this type...See photo...Yes the piece of wrap i still have and the other pieces off the 13" i have will P/M you...Mikey

1 attachments
Posted on 11 years ago

Interesting.. I don't have those lugs; I have what seem to be called the "tail light" lugs.

I am surprised there was a rail consolette so late into the 70's... I think everyone els was using something different by then (including Rogers who were tight with Yamaha at this time frame).

Anyway, thanks! I will update my signature!

Snares:
Posted on 11 years ago

No news really, just keeping the thread alive.

The Land-Rover engine swap is done. The long block was done in the UK by another company and he did not seal the freeze plugs when he installed them. On the first test drive one block plug blew out and it dumped all three+ gallons of coolant all over the parkway... :mad:

Pulled it apart, installed new freeze plugs using what we refer to as: "the right way", and all is well.

Had the dining room restored; the stone guy is in today to install a new marble top on the built-in buffet, and the room is DONE. The painter is finishing up another room today as well.

In between all that I have been working on my Drumgeon![SIZE="1"](TM)[/SIZE] The Red Oak floor is in and finished, walls are painted and the base trim is ready to be nailed. Then the built in shelf needs to be completed and installed and I can actually set the damn drums up in there!!!

Long story short: I should e back on this kit soon!

Snares:
Posted on 11 years ago

I am about 99% certain that we were still shipping D-20/D-22 Kits from the Yamaha Aussie Distributor (Rose Music), in 1974-1975.

Cheers

'77 Slingerland 51N,Super Rock 24,18,14,13.. COW 8,10 Concert toms
'69 Slingerland Hollywood Ace
'75 Rogers Dynasonic 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'77-78 Slingerland 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'78-79 Slingerland 5 1/4 x14 8 lug COB
'79 Biman 5 1/4, Acrolite
'82 Slingerland 5 1/4 x 14. Festival COS
'84 Tama MasterCraft Superstar 6.5 x 14, 10 lug Rosewood
'98 Slingerland (Music YO) 6" 10 Lug Maple.. NOS
Zildjian, Sabian , UFIP & Paiste mix.
Posted on 11 years ago

I was thinking the same thing but with a piece of steel round stock (.250 or so- .375 is too big) wrapped with some tape. The claws seem a bit stiff at the ends due to the 'bump' stiffener in this area. Fortunately I have eight original ones to use as guides to get them right.And in other news, my bass drum spurs and 12" rim mount arrived yesterday. I'm cleaning those up and will post another pic of the old 12 on a modern mount... I was thinking, with this finish it almost looks like a Club Custom with a finish they don't offer (I sort of like the orange streak finish) so I have been thinking I may change all the wing screws I can to the current Yamaha ones and use all current single braced stands... It might be a cool hybrid kit- vintage drums with modern hardware. I will of course moth ball all the original parts, but I think it might be a cool idea. What is the consensus on that idea?

Jim,

Personnaly I am no purist when it comes to vintage hardware. A lot of it was terrible then and time has not improved it any. That is why you see so many vintage drum kits with aftermarket hardware. If it works for you and you like it, then have at it!

tnsquint
Very proud owner of a new Blaemire Snare 6.5 x 14 made by Jerry Jenkins "Drumjinx"
Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here