Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

Wrap A Chrome Snare?

Any good reason NOT to wrap a chrome snare? I've got a boring Slingerland student model probably from the 80's that is screaming to look cool and become part of a Majestic kit.

1 attachments
Posted on 7 years ago

If that's the original finish of your kit, then that is one sweet finish !

If you're seriously thinking about giving your "boring" student Slingerland a facelift, i wouldn't wrap it if you plan on getting rid of it someday.. It will decrease the value of the drum. I personally think that a metal snare drum looks quite nice with a drum kit finish such as yours. But if you're really looking to add a cool looking snare drum to the kit, then i'd simply wait for one to come along, or look for one.. Some MIJ snare drums have some really nice finishes, and would look great with your kit.

Plus the sonic properties of a metal snare drum that's been wrapped can potentially "deaden" the sound of the drum itself.. My advice is to not wrap your Slingerland snare drum..Just my :2Cents: ;)

Posted on 7 years ago

I have had wrapped metal snare. Didn't seem to make any difference. Use the tape method and you can easily remove it if you want.

Posted on 7 years ago

Sweet wrap on the Majestic kit ! I love the MIJ wraps.

If your looking to keep the entire set as a Majestic kit, there is a majestic 14" Snare - 8 Lug in WMP on the bay for $120 that the guy may negotiate to a reasonable price since there is a Make Offer option. I am sure our member Magnus from Walopus can match the wrap. This way you can save the Slingy for another day. Here is the link to the snare: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-MAJESTIC-DE-LUXE-DeLuxe-14-Snare-Drum-8-Lug-WMP-White-Marine-pearl-Wrap-/371898018756?hash=item5696d96bc4:g:HCAAAOSwnHZYVXE9

Michael

No Guru - I just love collecting & learning about vintage drums!

Some of my favorites from the kits in the collection
58 WFL New Yorker Blue Sparkle
67 Ludwig Hollywood Red Psychedelic
69 Ludwig Standard Red Ruby Strata
70's Ludwig BOP "Ringo" Kit

A few of my favorite snares
20's Leedy Black Elite
51 Leedy & Ludwig Knob Tension
58 WFL Buddy Rich Classic Blue Sparkle
63 Walberg & Auge Sea Blue Agave Green Pearl
66 Leedy Shelly Manne Blue Agate Pearl
Posted on 7 years ago

I agree with Michael- go get that Majestic snare!

You can sell the Slingerland and probably be net zero cost on the deal.

Cobalt Blue Yamaha Recording Custom 20b-22b-8-10-12-13-15-16f-18f
Red Ripple '70's Yamaha D-20 20b-12-14f
Piano Black Yamaha Recording Custom Be-Bop kit 18b-10-14f
Snares:
Yamaha COS SDM5; Yamaha Cobalt Blue RC 5-1/2x14; Gretsch round badge WMP; 1972 Ludwig Acrolite; 1978 Ludwig Super Sensitive; Cobalt Blue one-off Montineri; Yamaha Musashi 6.5X13 Oak; cheap 3.5X13 brass piccolo
Posted on 7 years ago

Personally, I wouldn't rewrap the Slingerland either. However, I'm in on the tape method idea mentioned above if you've just got to wrap it. It is your drum!

It's also my opinion and experience that MIJ SDs of the same era always seem to pop up from time to time, and many times at less than half of the price mentioned in the eBay listing above. I wish I could have moved some I've had at that price!

Any way, again just my opinion, but I'd play them with the Slingy as is until you can find one to wrap...

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
"Redrums - Ks" on FB and Reverb
(also "billnvick" on eBay)
Posted on 7 years ago

I agree with all the points mentioned. I won't wrap the Slingerland. Actually it does look nice with that wrap which is a recent re-wrap. I'll get a Majestic wood in the future.

Thanks for the input!

Posted on 7 years ago

One of the problems here in the UK is the fact a premier 2000 snare drum with a pitted shell is so very cheap to buy and find. Practically having them re chromed cleaned or any treatment aint worth it. To re wrap in lots of different colours veneers etc etc over here is a good idea. Ive seen supras with terrible shells great sounding and having been re sprayed in various colours in USA. Some say leave as is. I agree if it aint too bad but if its pitted and flaking to hell then get it covered up.

Posted on 7 years ago

I would find a MIJ snare like Michael and the others suggested that could be matched to your set. That way, you would still have your "boring" Slingerland snare intact. ;)

Keep fixing them up...
Posted on 7 years ago

It's your snare...if you want to wrap it...wrap it :) I wrapped a chrome pearl snare to match the rest of the kit and it turned out great. Main thing is if you are sure you want to keep the snare with this kit. If so, go for it!

Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here