Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.26305%

Worst bearing edge ever?

I pulled this out of an outside garage that looked like an urban barn. It's a 20" Star made BD with a Pearl hex mount (badly) installed. Not sure if the black wrap is a re-wrap or not, looks terrible anyway.

Oh man, I dont even know what to do with this thing. This may be totally unsalvageable. I've never seen a worse bearing edge, and the shell is a thin 3 ply, so the damage is that much more severe. The re-ring is long gone. I may just have to strip this thing for the lugs and t-rods. Forget about an orphan, this is an abuse survivor! The one hoop is missing the inlay but the previous owner oh-so-cleverly used electrical tape as an inlay (that's gonna be fun to clean up!) And I'm just about sure this thing is out of round.

Missing 2 lugs, only has 5 t-rods. Surprisingly, the batter edge is in pretty good shape and the lugs, while dirty as hell, dont seem to have any real pitting, so they should clean up pretty nicely. The cymbal mount, while missing the wing screw, seems good.

There might be a guy in town who could get me a re-ring, and I'd have to pull off some kind of miracle on the edge with Plastic Wood (and I hate that stuff) but I guess this thing could possibly be brought back from the dead... What do you guys think? Got nothing invested here, nothing to lose. Anyone ever repair a bearing edge this chewed up?

Maybe sometimes we dont choose our projects, our projects choose us...

Posted on 14 years ago

I suppose you could call me a drum snob, but why would you want to put that much time and energy into that drum? It would be easier to get a cheap shell and use the hardware off that one.

Posted on 14 years ago

yeah, I wouldn't bother. No offense to MIJ, but effort and money are better spent somewhere else...

-64 Ludwig Black Oyster Classic kit 22,13,16
-65 Leedy BDP 22,13,16
-65 Ludwig WMP Clubdate 20,12,14
-66 Ludwig Red sparkle Downbeat
-60's Gretsch RB Green Glass 22,13,16
Lots of cymbals, snares and orphans, old and newish
Posted on 14 years ago

OK, this is a three or five ply shell. I know you guys don't give these shells a second thought, but they have a resonant quality you can't get from anything else. I know you don't understand, because you have never listened to one, or considered it as a viable instrument. It is a mahogany and poplar shell, and they boom and vibrate like no others. That is why we re-work these old drums, not because they are necessarily nice or cool to own, but some are. This one is a 20" 3 ply, so it is way worth it, if you can follow my direction.

This one is salvagable Blake. Go to Drum Foundry and look in the "Drum Shells" section. They sell re-rings. Here, I even selected it for you:

https://www.drumfoundry.com/p-3495-maple-reinforcment-rings.aspx

less than 7bucks plus shipping, which likely will be more than the ring itself. Rout or sand the inside edge to a slight round over before intalling it. I don't mean for the bearing edge, I mean for the interior side to make it look nicer when you are done. Stripp that ugly-ass wrap and let's make an instrument out of that trashed drum! This is your chance to shine, and show your skill. This is one of theose shells. It is worth saving. It will take some skill, and I have that if you get the parts, I will gudie you and then you will see what you have. Then, go to www.aitwood.com and buy two new wood hoops, 10 ply maple X1.5" for $16.00 each, 12 ply maple X1.5" for $17.00 each (plus shipping, call them, don't rely on the calculator, it will be about $10-12).

So, what are you waiting for?

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

This reply is not directly related to this thread...but I just wanted to say that the knowledge base you guys have about drums and of the suppliers of drum components is really amazing! I learn from you and add suppliers to my "Favorites" list evert day. THANKS AGAIN.

Gary G.
1963 Ludwig Gold Sparkle Hollywood Kit
Ludwig Collection: 10 Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Customized Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Vintage Foot Pedals, 1 Single Value Bugle
Posted on 14 years ago

This is definitely a 3 ply shell. It is thin. So that is sort of the real problem here, determining how well, or how effectively, the edge can be repaired. Actually, when I first took a look at it, the idea struck me that the best thing to do might be to cut the drum back a few inches, making it a 12"x20" rather than a 14"x20". How about that? Might be a worthwhile experiment, and it would save me the trouble of having to deal with wood filler. This might also allow me to move the center re-ring to the outside, so I wouldn't have to come up with another ring! (Eh, then I'd have to drill more holes...)

As for the argument for or against if this is all worth the effort, I just like the idea of taking something that would end up in a landfill, an awful sounding drum that someone would just bang mercilessly on until it met its inevitable Keith Moon fate, and turning it into a pleasing sounding musical instrument. It can be done. Yeah, it will take some time and effort, but it can be done, and if I go through with it, I know I'll get a huge sense of of satisfaction.

Some might say it's a waste of time, but I learn so much on each restoration project that even if I'm not 100% happy with the way it turns out, the experience gained will be worth it.

Yes, I think I'm gonna do this.

Posted on 14 years ago

I'm with Atomic and Olddrums on this one....waste of time....

Posted on 14 years ago

Hey, if you think you can make it something you'll be happy with, then do it! You might want to try turning it into Gong Bass or something.

Sysl krysu nenahradi!

-196?-72 6ply White Oyster Amati
-1960s 3ply Red Sparkle Amati
- Zildjian, Paiste, Zyn, Istanbul

http://bandzone.cz/blueswan
Posted on 14 years ago

I'm totally with jonnistx on this one.

Maybe it's because I'm old (not saying that about you Jonni - haha), but I'd love to try to bring an abused drum like this one here back to life. It's a great feeling if you're into it and have the time and patients.

Hey - it's only money (I'm not wealthy by the way) and a little time. It can be fun and you usually learn something and/or meet interesting people while doing this sort of thing.

I think it would be fun........

And you're starting off in the right direction by asking questions first....ask a lot of questions.

Posted on 14 years ago

From Gilnar

Gong Bass

I second that!!

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here