Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

Who made Vibra?

Are those Star? 3 Piece on local CL for $175. Look nice, but I'm tripping over drums as it is...

1 attachments
Wanted: Pearl President floor tom in Golden Grain wrap and rack tom in Tiger Eye (root beer) wrap.
Posted on 8 years ago

Sharktooth lug=Hoshino. I will add that Hoshino is responsible for some pretty terrible drums. It's like they dumpster-dove at Star and Pearl for shells. Not all,but many. And generally poor hardware.

Posted on 8 years ago

Ya know I've seen those lugs on More star drums than Hoshino ( not the Star Hoshino, but rather the ones notorious for no bearing edges )

18 Kits & 40+ snares..
Not a Guru, just addicted to drums

- Jay
Posted on 8 years ago

I've got this Crown 3pc kit, with matching snare drum. Are these the "shark tooth" lugs you are referring to? Did Hoshino build the Crown kits?

-Mark

2 attachments
Posted on 8 years ago

Those are the same lugs, but I'm going with Star having made the Crown kit. The " Hoshino " in question branded their drums strictly as Hoshino. Star & Pearl ( far as I know ) were the companies mainly responsible for all the various stencil names. For the most part I think we have a fairly good degree of accuracy in figuring out who made what. But I do have some actual non star Hoshino lugs & snare. Very different from the Star models. The Hoshino lugs were more squared. Here is a photo I found a non Star Hoshino kit.

1 attachments
18 Kits & 40+ snares..

- Jay
Posted on 8 years ago

Hi Jay!

Good to know that Hoshino did not make stencil kits and that my Crown is most likely a Star. I recently disassembled the tom and bass and had the shells buffed by a friend who owns a drum repair shop in Burbank. Still need to polish the hardware and get everything back together. The snare drum is already complete and looks great!

-Mark

Posted on 8 years ago

Looking at another photo of that Hoshino kit something just jumped out at me. The 12" & 13" toms have eight lugs top and bottom as opposed to the typical six. Anyone else ever see that?

18 Kits & 40+ snares..

- Jay
Posted on 8 years ago

I agree with the guys Vibra is a Hoshino stencil

but not the Hoshino associated with Star

Hey Jay you say you have seen those Lugs on numerous Star made kits?

That is truly a new one for me

I have only seen those exact lugs on Hoshino builds

Decca, Polaris, Aria, Crown and countless no badge kits

I have seen them with an identical outward appearance

but with two different castings with respect to the fastening hardware

One about average for a Japanese lug and the other casted and drilled for short and very lite duty fasteners ,the shells to which are extremely flimsy.

Posted on 8 years ago

Honestly I've seen this type of lug more than most others. Man there is still so much about these MIJ drums that floats about. And I truthfully wouldn't be in any way shocked if through the years some of these kits had the hardware swapped, or just removed and then re-built years later. For the most part a lot of these lugs all have the same spacing and will fit most of the drums made in that time. Now is there actually a list of Hoshino ( not Star ) made drums?

18 Kits & 40+ snares..

- Jay
Posted on 8 years ago

Jay I have a Crown kit with eight lug toms and a Dorado kit as well

Both are on the better end of the Hoshino line

My Aria kit however only has six lug toms in spite being in the same upper end of the line

in most other respects all of these kits yours and those I mention here

all have the other lug design used by Hoshino

These lug casings were slightly modified over the time they were used

The older version were a little larger in the width your kit has the newer of the two

Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here