Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

Whitehall drumset - Black Diamond Pearl

Here is a Whitehall kit I recently picked up to flip. It needed a serious bath and scrubbing, but came out looking pretty nice. There is still some light rust on some of the hoops and pitting on some of the lugs, but it is pretty good for being around 50 years old. It had been pretty much un-played for the last 20 years from what I was told.

Phillipine Mahogany interiors with reinforcement rings.

20, 12, 14, 14x5.5 matching snare

I was amazed at how deep the wrap looks on this kit. It is much prettier than my 60's WFL Ludwig in the same finish. Maybe this one was stored in better conditions, possibly.

The snare sounded much better than I expected, as other MIJ snares I have owned were lacking. This one seems to be a nice drum. There is a lot of resonance in the toms.

If I wasn't sitting on so many kits including my very first kit (also MIJ) I would keep it. I love the wrap!

Posted on 7 years ago

Are you selling it? I'd be interested.

Posted on 7 years ago

More pictures:

Posted on 7 years ago

That looks like a Pearl. Did the inside of the lugs have anything written? Truly a beautiful set.

18 Kits & 40+ snares..
Not a Guru, just addicted to drums

- Jay
Posted on 7 years ago

Thanks ArchxAngel.

I did not pop the lugs or leg mounts off of the drums. But, the floor tom leg mounts do have "Pearl' embossed on them.

No markings on the butt plate though.

2 attachments
Posted on 7 years ago

After looking at the snare photo again, 100% Pearl made kit. Well I know now that at least some Whitehall kits were Pearl made. Until I see one with a Star type badge, this name's a Pearl. If possible, can you get a good photo of the badge.

And again - truly a beautiful set. The beginner kits these days don't have half as much class as the kits from the '60s did.

18 Kits & 40+ snares..

- Jay
Posted on 7 years ago

Also, if you wouldn't mind. Could you e-mail me the photos of this kit. I'd love to have it on record for my complete MIJ guide. This is a perfect example of a mij badged kit that is 100% original and can be placed as Pearl made. Granted the engraved mounts help, but without those the lugs are a giveaway. I'll shoot you a PM.

18 Kits & 40+ snares..

- Jay
Posted on 7 years ago

I had a Whitehall back in the mid-90's. Something close to a blue onyx as I recall it. Same kit as what you have except the color. It had very good sound and the quality was surprisingly high. Eight lugs on bass drum, floor tom and snare, unlike many of the imports that had just six. It was a cool kit, as is this one. Whoever gets it will enjoy it.

Posted on 7 years ago

My daily driver I am using right now is a Root Beer Swirl/Tiger Eye Pearl Whitehall. Sounds awesome and attracts many compliments for both look and sound.

These thin shell Pearls sound great. I consider these among the best of the vintage MIJ.

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Posted on 7 years ago

What a beauty! Bet it sounds great.

12/14/20 Mahogany INDe Bop Cocktail Hybrid

Late 50s Black Nitron 3 Ply Gretsch 13/16/20 w/ Max Roach Snare
Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here