Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

What year is this Pearl President?

I've got this Pearl President 22" bass drum. Looking at the catalogs it looks like a '68 Super Deluxe with the consolette rail tom mount, but the '68 catalog shows gold script badges, and no Presidents in the catalog.

The badge looks like a '69 style badge. The Dark Blue Pearl wrap is in the catalogs. Did they have years where the parts had some over lap?

The drum is in fantastic condition. It has the brown fibergalass shells. Best and biggest sounding bass I've ever heard. I've had 5 Pearl kits from Valencia's, '70s Presidents, EXR's to Masters. A set of '48 Slingerland Radio Kings and '74 Slingerland Maple Rocker kits. And played many other high end drums thru the years.

But this bass is the best sounding yet. (my opinion of course). Don't know whether to sell it, or build a kit around it. It's a very cool find. What year is it?Help2

Posted on 14 years ago

Welcome! There are many times we find far too many oddities and should have beens or should not be's...Remember, in these days, they were really more about moving product than about total accuracy, and the catalogs are normally shot many months in advance of actual production, so hardware changes and specs may change during this time and the cats are already in print when they are made, and I for one would not throw out a million copies of print over a lug design or shell specs. Many times we find over-lapping hardware and parts and pieces. These lugs are represetative of a certain era, I think 68-71. Another member, Osakabop, is our resident Pearl expert. Many of these President kits seem to transcend eras.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks for the info. Cool what you are doing for the disadvantaged kids.

Love the old japanese stuff. Some of it is kind of kitchy cool and cheap, but some others id very good quality. How is that Aria drum? They make some great old guitars.

Posted on 14 years ago

I have a feeling if you get O-bop on board you'll find a 13 and a 16.Re-u-nited and it feeeeels so goood.....Of course,if the world's best sounding bass drum is taking up valuable space in your house,my space is not so valuable....Keep on Pl

Posted on 14 years ago

Sounds good - how do we O-bop onboard?

Posted on 14 years ago

From bknack

Thanks for the info. Cool what you are doing for the disadvantaged kids.Love the old japanese stuff. Some of it is kind of kitchy cool and cheap, but some others id very good quality. How is that Aria drum? They make some great old guitars.

It needs a little love. I have not taken to it yet. Some of these I go after right away, others I have to warm up to. It's not bad, I just have to spend some time with it to figure out what it needs to be a great snare, not just a mediorcre one.

I am always open to suggestions for recipients and donations of parts and pieces, odd drums and beat up hardware and sheet cymbals. Anything that you look at and think it would look good in the junk pile...As a matter of fact, the last donor kit I built has a 22" bass from a memeber that thought it was firewood, and now it booms like a cannon!

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

Jonni is right on (as usual) It`s got parts from to eras- 69 was the big break in era- the 69 Fiberglass shell launch- also all had metal bass drum hoops. You`ve got the 69 fiberglass flagship shell- with the 69 badge, the 68 rail mount and the 68 wood hoops (and two cymbal arm holders???) I`ll e-mail more later today when I get time to study it more- hold on- I love these mixed up Pearls!

For info. & live schedule:
www.EricWiegmanndrums.com
*Odery Drums Japan endorser/ representative
*Japan Distributor of Vruk DrumMaster pedals
*D'Addario Japan Evans/Promark/Puresound
*Amedia Cymbals Japan

It's the journey not the destination.
Posted on 14 years ago

Sounds good.Cool1

Maybe the holders were both for cymbal and cowbell.

Wondering if there might be toms out there for it. Got enough drums though. They take more room to collect than guitars do. May sell the bass if I can't find the toms.

Or make a jelly bean set with different colors.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks

Posted on 14 years ago

It looks to me like someone put an extra L-arm cymbal mount on there to mount a crash or splash cymbal- smart, in my opinion. I have some President orphans in a gold Pearl that need a bass drum - the blue pearl and orange pearl might go together decently enough- if you do decide to sell her then be sure to PM me. Congrats on a very interesting drumYes Sir That once again reinforces our understanding that early Pearl drums mixed hardware and badges, lugs, hoops- just about everything. One fact is clear- that brown fiberglass shell material never appeared in a catalog before 69-the diamond lug design as well. The rail mount doesn't appear in any catalog after 68 -except for the Jr. mini kits- got to love it. singer

For info. & live schedule:
www.EricWiegmanndrums.com
*Odery Drums Japan endorser/ representative
*Japan Distributor of Vruk DrumMaster pedals
*D'Addario Japan Evans/Promark/Puresound
*Amedia Cymbals Japan

It's the journey not the destination.
Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks for the info. I don't the the extra cymbal arm was an add on.

I think that the '68 Super Deluxe kits had the same fiberglass shells though.

Any way it's cool.

May consider the toms, or will let you know if I decide to sell it.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here