Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

What size drums do you prefer?

Friends,

I'm hoping to start a spirited and thought provoking thread here. What size drums do you prefer and why? I have very definite opinions and I'm sure everyone who logs in here does as well.

The perfect vintage kit:

12, 14, 22.

The perfect vintage plus kit:

10, 12, 14, 22 with a 13 to the left of the hi hat (I set up righty).

Why?

First the bass drum. I grew up playing a 20. I rarely used anyone else's kit. I inherited the set (12, 14, 20 '65 Gretsch in BDP with matching snare drum) and I had no idea why people used other sizes. I learned how to play in the 70s on a 60s kit during a time when when bigger and more was where it was at and people were taking off the resonant heads. Tone just didn't matter. I always felt like I needed a bigger kit because that's what the pros of the day were using but I was a kid and didn't have money for such things.

When I hit college Steve Gadd was it and floor toms weren't cool. Aerial mounted rack toms to the right of the bass drum were the thing and drum tone was really really important. That was when I developed my musical personality and I learned (not factually but definitely philosophically) two things: The tone on big drums didn't cut. Too much air and two far down the tonal spectrum. The second was that the 22 inch bass drum was the word of G-d (OK, I exaggerate) on the sound and feel of a bass drum. Also, 12, 13, 14 (I had added a 13 and a 16 to the original Gretsch kit) didn't work because the sweet spot tuning for each drum was to close to differentiate between drums. You needed at least two inches of diameter difference between drums to go for good individual tone on the drums and then 3rds and 4ths in terms of intervals between the drums. It was more melodic that way. Enter the 10 inch tom and the 13 goes into the closet for 20 years (10,12,14 as a way of life).

I was so used to hammering the 20" bass drum to cut through and having the sound man eq it into something else that the 22 was a breath of fresh air. More thud then pop. You moved the room a bit with it and that sound became home. I find a lot of people tend to agree with this. 24s are just too fat sounding for me, more of an earthquake than something dance-able.

An important fact: I never played jazz. Loved listening to it but never got into a situation where I needed to produce the sound. No big band, no small combo. So rock, rock & roll, funk, soul, blues, pop...the 22 ruled.

So for those that play 18s, 20s, 24s and grrr 26s. Let me know your thoughts.

As far as the toms are concerned. I hit the little tom a lot more than the big tom and 13s just sound to meaty in that part of my phrasing. On the floor tom, I'll be honest, I use the 14x14 because it fits the vintage look. I think there is just too much distance between the heads and the ideal drum down there is no deeper than 12 inches (probably left over from the days when Gadd ruled). On my second kit I keep a non vintage (obviously) 12x15 over there. It sounds better than the 14x14 on my main kit. So form rules over physics in my eyes on my main kit.

16x16 or bigger? I could never get that thing to sing the way I want a drum to sing. Too much air to move, too low a frequency range in the sweet spot.

Finally snares: 5x14. I've tried every one and that is the proper balance of tone and snare response for me.

So, I hope I haven't bored anyone or seemed too self indulgent. I just wanted to be thought provoking and basically hear what everyone has to say.

Thanks.

Gary

Dix Hills, NY

Gary

Dix Hills, NY

http://s231.photobucket.com/albums/ee19/sabshga/

http://www.myspace.com/garysabshon

Posted on 17 years ago

Two kits, two setups.

Primary kit: Ludwig All Maple 26 x 14 kick (THUMP!), 14 X 12 rack tom, 16 and 18 floors, 6 1/2 x 14 Black Beauty with tube lugs.

Secondary kit: Rogers Butcher Block with 22 inch kick, 12 x 8 tom, 16 x 16 floor and the customary 5 x 14 Dynasonic, all Big R

Future kit: Late 50's Double Bass Slingerland a la Louie Belleson, two 22 inch kicks (got those), one 13 x 9 tom (got that), two floor toms (need those), 5 x 14 Radio King snare (1951, got that too)

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 17 years ago

I am in the process of a slingerland kit 24x14, 9x13, 16x16, 18x16.

A leedy kit that is the complete oppsite of that slingerland: 16x16BD and 9x13 tom (so far).

I have that Tama set (that i think ive found someone to buy it) which is 20" bd 10x12" tom and 14x14 and 16x16 floor toms. 5x14 snare also.

The kent is a 22x16 and a 9x13 tom with a 5x14 snare.

I find that I really like the Kent sound, but the Tama set is also nice sizes also. I havnt played them that much yet and I am still fairly new to the vintage drums playing kind of thing but I like the small BD's for jazz and sometimes the big ones for jazz also but big ones mainly for rock or just praciticing.

Harrison
Posted on 17 years ago

I have five kits . Ludwig with 16x18, 16x20bass's,10x12,11x13,14x14,1616toms,3.5x14snare that where made for me. two L. Roc Duo with 14x20,1420Bass's,8x12,9x13, 16x16toms and 5x14snares. A L. with two14x22 Bass's one9x13,one 16x16 toms and a 6.5x14 snare. Tama set that has 16x22 Bass ,8x12,9x13,16x16toms,5.5x14 snare. plus three more snares soyou can see that I like alot of different sizes. Don

Posted on 17 years ago

My 5 kits:

Pearl maple in Black (1981): 14x22 BD/8x10 TT/10x12 TT/11x13 TT/16x14 FT (yes, that's right: 16" depth x 14" head w/legs)

Remo Encore in Gray (1987): 14x22 BD/8x8 TT/8x10 TT/10x12 TT/16x14 FT (yep, another custom-made floor tom)

Pearl BRX Sunburst (2005): 16x22 BD/8x8 TT/9x10 TT/9x12 TT/14x14 FT/16x16 FT

Ludwig Blue Sparkle (1959): 14x22 BD/8x12 TT/16x16 FT

Ludwig White Marine Pearl (1960): 14x22 BD/9x13 TT/16x16 FT

plus various snare drums:

Tempus 7x14 fiberglass

Sonor Hilite 7x14 maple

Pearl 6.5x14 Free Floating Brass

Sonor Hilite 5x12 maple

Pearl Firecracker 5x10 poplar

Gretsch CrystalTone black chrome steel 5.5x14

Leedy 1958 5.5x14 Shelly Manne model

WFL 5x14 Marine Pearl

Ludwig 1964 Supraphonic 5x14

Ludwig Blacrolite 5x14 w/tube lugs

DDrum 5.5x14 Sunburst maple

Ludwig 1959 Downbeat Blue Spkl 3x13

Ludwig 1959 Blue Spkl 5.5x14

custom 6.5x14 maple w/Yamaha lugs, Pearl throwoff

Posted on 17 years ago

Current kit is what I still consider to be the best all-rounder for all styles - 22" bass drum, 13" rack and 16" floor with a 14 x 6 wooden snare and a 14 x 5 COB snare (for something noisier) - all Camco (Chanute & LA) for the wooden drums and Oaklawn for the COB. Cymbal arm of the bass drum just to give it that whole retro vibe.

Previous favourites were 24 BD, 14 rack, 16 and 18 floors (all Camco LA) with a combo of Ludwig metal snare and Camco wood snare (alas now sold except for the snare). I did love the idea of really being able to crank up the tuning on big drums to get both the depth of note but that great jazzy crack at the same time although the 18 occasionally went a bit "beach ball"-y on me if it got tunes up too high - but a 24" will always grab the band's attention if they're talking too much. Hanker a little for a kit in these proportions again.

26" bass drum - I can see they're suddenly all the rage but I've never played one. Reviews, please.

Equally have vaguely thought of reviving something I saw in the mid-70's before manufacturers started doing rack toms of alternative depths - a 14 x 14 as rack tom (saw the New York Dolls do this, amongst others).

Had a classic Ludwig (with sizes like the first one) which was good and a 60's Premier with 21 & 3/4" bass drum (I kid you not) 14 x 8 rack, 16 1/4" x 16 (damned metric sizes) and 16 x 18 floor toms (i.e. 16" in diameter and 18" deep -almost like a cocktail drum). Sounded great but almost impossible to get heads for.

Cheers,

David

Posted on 17 years ago

I'll chime in on this one. My opinions only...

I prefer a 12", 14", 20" with coated ambassadors top and bottom for blues and jazz - Also works well for "oldie" rock, like Beatles, Doors, etc... I just like the punchy sound of a 20" kick, which I'm finding is a rare beast these days, at least in new kits.

Second choice would be 10", 12", 13", 16", 22" in fusion depths (no power toms here thank you) with clear or pinstripes (super kick on the bass drum). Yields a "modern" rock sound. I use this setup for recording the more contemporary music I sometimes do. Dead is good, at least in the studio :)

Having said all that, I truly believe a good drummer can play on just about any kit, and make it sound "right" for any style of music. Of course, something silly like a vintage jazz kit, tuned up like a jazz kit, wouldn't cut it for death metal.

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 17 years ago

I am a fan of late 60's/early 70's three ply drums with clear interiors.

I also prefer 24' bass drums from that era if you can find them. Luckily if have three ludwig kits from that era with 24' kicks so my ideal size would be.

14x24 kick. There just comfortable to play and have a great punchy sound. especially with the right head combinations!

9x13 or 8x12 rack tom. Two of my 24 inch kicks have rail mounts

16x16 floor tom.

6.5x14 ludwig early 60's COB snare drum-Im very lucky to own one of these and the sound is just incredible. Sometimes I will also use a 60's Super Sensative. Same size but not a brass shell. It's an Alloy shell. This is the set up a use when playing my country/rock gig.

When I play a jazz gig, I will use a Ludwig 14x20 kick, 8x12 rack tom and a 13x15 old marching drum that I converted to a floor tom. I also own a late 70's Gretsch kit that I use sometimes on jazz and swing gigs. The sizes are 14x20 kick, 8x12 rack and a 16x16 floor. On Jazz stuff I usually use my 6.5 supra phonic or super sensative.

Posted on 17 years ago

I totally agree with the 2" rule. I read a few articles years ago where those "in the know" advised using all even number size drums {or odd #'s with even number spacing.... like 13" and 15" toms. My favorite is 10", 12" 14" 16" and a 20" bass drum.}

Most of the gigs I have been playing recently are part jazz, blues , and some rock. The 20" bass seems to cover all bases as it has a nice thud, but I can quickly turn the upper two tensioners and get a "bopier" tone for the jazz tunes.

Believe it or not, the 20" x 8" bass in my Premier Artist Heritage Birch kit gets the most "yeahs" from bass players as they love the "thump" but also love the quickness. I think this size responds wonderfully with quick bass drum patterns. The 22 X 18 Gretsch fusion kit bass drums requires a lot of "treatments" to get the same type of tone, but it just doesn't seem to respond like shallower bass drums. Plus with the 20x 8 all my drums stack in two cases ! I gig a lot, and at the age of 48 my drumset concerns are : lightness, easy in and out, great tone .Cool

I think the current trend {fad !!!} Lame for deep bass drums {22 X 20 etc} is "BS" because even with a lot of mufffling, pads, tone control heads etc, they are all boom and not great for fast patterns. Hey, I am all for tonal options for drummers, but bigger is better {depth wise} is a fallicy for me.

shallow {quick} toms and traditional or shallow bass drums is the "route" for me !

God bless, and happy New Years !!!!Group Hug

http://www.saludacymbals.com/c/bgalbraith.html
Posted on 17 years ago

Here's the set up I prefer:

Bass Drum: 22"

Tom: 13"

Floor: 16"

Snare: 14 x 6.5"

Here's Why (For me):

22" BD: Packs a punch but can get some boom as well. For me it's the perfect (and obvious) medium between 20" and larger 24"/26" sizes.

13" Tom: I only use one rack tom and by golly, I just love how a 13" sounds. Not much science there. I just dig it.

16" Floor Tom: Once again, I just love the way a 16" sounds. I like the low range and it compliments (and contrasts) my 13" rack nicely. We do a few "Sing, Sing, Sing" - style songs that require jungle beats and solos on my floor tom, so I dig that low vintage tone.

14" x 6.5" Snare: I recently switched from using a 5.5 snare all my life to the deeper 6.5 size. I didn't think one inch could make much of a difference, but I really love the deeper sound. I'll also probably never go back to metal snares, as I'm hooked on wood for that tone I'm looking for. I WOULD love to find a pre-serial Ludwig COB Supraphonic someday though, (but who wouldn't?).

Heads: I'm still experimenting. I had a brief love affair with Aquarian True Vintage heads, but I'm not sold anymore. They seem to choke up the sound a bit more than I prefer. Tried good old Ludwig Weathermaster heads, but they dimpled faster than any head I've owned in the past. Same with Remo Fiberskyns - I broke a head for the first time in my life (been playing for 20 years) during a show last Friday night. Thinking about going back to traditional Remo coated Ambassador or Emperors.

Guess it's all pretty much subjective, but that's what makes this thread and forum so interesting!!

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here