Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

What should I use to clean a Mod Orange set?

I have a beautiful set of '68 Mod Oranges that, as far as I can tell, have never been fully cleaned. None of the lug or mount screws inside the shells show any evidence of ever being removed, and because of that, I have resisted stripping the kit down and cleaning it. But it really needs a good cleaning.

What can I use to safely clean and polish these? Most of the pinks are gone, but the orange is still very vibrant. I have the full range of Meguire's CLEAR Plastic products (cleaner, polish, etc.) that I use for my Vistalites, but I'm not really sure if I can use them on vinyl wrap.

Thanks,

Buzz

Posted on 12 years ago

Maybe "citrus" cleaner?

Posted on 12 years ago

Definitely use something "orange based". Yes SirLoLoLoLoCool1

Seriously though. Use a "natural" all purpose cleaner and a soft rag, then give it some Novus love and buff it out by hand. Usually number 2 does the trick. If you have some deep scratches you might wanna go with 3 first and then 2.

-Adam

Posted on 12 years ago

I did some lengthy research online and discovered that quite a few people have used the Meguiar's Clear Plastic polish on drum wraps. So I stripped the 13" down, tested on a space under a lug, and it worked really well.

Posted on 12 years ago

The one I really love is the green liquid Brite-Stuff "drum and cymbal polish/protector". For filthy wrap, I wipe as much off grime as I can gently with a warm, damp towel, then follow up with two passes of the Brite-Stuff. It doesn't remove yellowing (which frankly I enjoy) and leaves a very slippery surface that dust and grime don't like to stick to.

http://thebritestuff.com/

Posted on 12 years ago

Novus is the bomb! I'll never use anything else. Easy to use and indoor friendly too! Awesome results and not too expensive. No, I do not have any shares in the company LoLoLoLo

Posted on 12 years ago

I used Novus 2 then 1 to clean & polish my Mod Orange drums. Novus 3 is quite abrasive and should generally be avoided on your wrap.

Jim

Gratuitous Mod Orange Picture:

1 attachments
'68 Ludwig Ruby Red Strata
'68 Ludwig Mod Orange
'58 Gretsch Starlight Sparkle
'69 Ludwig Clubdate BDP
'60s Ludwig Clubdate Black Lacquer / Nickel
'67 Trixon Speedfire Red
COB Ludwig Supra
Many projects
Bunch o snares
Posted on 12 years ago

All Help2

I'm an idiot and wrapped my Mod Orange covers with real masking tape during a restoration project. While I should of used the "blue stuff" for easy removal I did not. Lame

The tape has now been on for a "long time" and is not cooperating while removing.

Not sure the items above will work, but was curious if there is any type of solvent to remove the residue from the tape and not harm the finish.

Thanks for any help!

Posted on 11 years ago

A product like Goo Gone or Goof Off, will dissolve the tape adhesive and let you remove the tape. Easy stuff to use.

Also, as has been noted, Novus products are the bomb for cleaning and polishing a wrapped finish... except for Satin Flames of course!

Posted on 11 years ago

Spread peanut butter on the masking tape. Let the oil in it soak through for a while, then remove the tape. Clean the peanut butter residue off when finished........I wouldn't be tempted to lick my fingers, though.

Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here