Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

What is my vintage kit worth? is it special?

So I've been told this is a 1973 white marine pearl , but what I've never seen elsewhere is the lack of bottom heads and bottom head hardware. Is this unusual....rare?...I think they are in pretty good shape but there is a crack on my floor tom , about 5 inches.. all in all I'd just like to know what they're worth so I don't end up robbing someone or selling them way lower than actual value.

I paid 850.00 about a decade ago , I might have over paid as I was a total gear novice at the time, still I always figured vintage gear only became more valuable if taken care of......any help GREATLY appreciated

[Attachment: 1871]

[Attachment: 1872]

Posted on 17 years ago

I think Slingerland more than anyone offered a lot of these.I cant recall what they were called but i think 800 bucks in todays market is about right.

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 17 years ago

they are called concert toms,very popular in the late 60's and early 70's

Posted on 17 years ago

I'm pretty sure Slingerland's concert tom model was called the Pop Outfit 58N. Concert toms came in during the early 70s as a response to the larger number of channels in a mixing desk/recording console which allowed close miking of drums instead of the previous technique of a couple of overheards - but the twin head resonance unless really finely tuned freaked out the miking and Eq of the day.

One head was easier (and even better if covered in lots of deadening tape) so the tech could add eq after the event. Nightmare to play unfortunately and concert toms are not much in vogue these days which will be reflected in the price they command.

DR

Posted on 17 years ago

[COLOR="Navy"]Actually, SlapHappyDrums' kit is a circa 1973 "Modern Combo Outfit No. 75N". Some distinguishing differences from the "'Pop' Outfit No. 58N" are the 9x10 tom on the Combo versus 8x12 on the Pop, and the Combo bass drum had two heads versus the single-headed Pop.

The Modern Combo outfit was first introduced by Slingerland back around 1964, so actually quite a bit earlier than the concert tom era of the 1970s. The idea was that the Combo toms "telescoped" for compact transport. The 9x10 was actually suggested to be mounted on the right of the 9x13. Here are the catalog pages from 1973 for the Combo and the Pop, to compare.

DrCJW[/COLOR]

Posted on 17 years ago

Ok so I have the combo setup for sure. So I could in good conscience sell these for 800 bucks? Any suggestions on getting them sold? should I try to fix the crack in my floor tom?

thanks

Posted on 17 years ago

Quoted post

Ok so I have the combo setup for sure. So I could in good conscience sell these for 800 bucks? Any suggestions on getting them sold? should I try to fix the crack in my floor tom?thanks

I am admittedly a novice when it comes to Slingerlands, however; in a free-market economy - as long as presented accurately and without misrepresentation - whatever someone will pay would be fair game. If someone is willing to pay $800 with a factual and accurate representation of the kit I don't see any reason at all for your conscience to bother you....

Good Luck...make sure that you note the crack...and what it affects. When I first read the post I thought you were stating the drum shell was cracked - it appears it's just the finish. Whichever it is just make it clear :)

Nice kit BTW

'79 Slingerland "Blues Time" Maple 670T - 12,13,14,15,18,24
'68 Ludwig Silver Sparkle - 12,13,16,22,24
'79 Ludwig Vistalites clear - 12,13,16,22
Snares: '68 Ludwig Supraphonic 5x14, Ludwig 5 x 14 Black Beauty (modern), '70's Slingerland Buddy Rich TDR COB 6.5x14, DW 10/6 Maple 4x14, Pearl '70's COB 5x14, Slingerland 50's blue duco 6.5x14 & 5x14, Pork Pie "Little Squealer", Pearl Masters MCX maple 6.5x14
Posted on 17 years ago

Right on . and the crack is totaly just in the finish all shells are 100% crack free.

Posted on 17 years ago

Definately!!!!....Stay away from crackWalking

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 17 years ago

I think on ebay they would bring about $350-400.

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here