Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.65344%

What are the tonal differences between Ludwig & Rogers?

Hi,

I'm about to pull the trigger on a nice usa drum. As of now I only own a MIJ late-60s Pearl.

I found a few interesting kits locally. Basically, a mid 60 mahogany Ludwig, an early 70s Rogers and a 1970 Lugwig.

Obviously, I'll try them before choosing, but what should I expect from those drums? I guess there is not much difference between the mahogany and maple Ludwig? But what about the 5-ply Rogers with 45 degrees bearing edge? Is this night and day from the Ludwig?

And about the value, do they have all the same value (if they are in good shape) ? They are all from the same guy and he would let them go for basically the same price. They are all 22-13-16 kits.

Thanks!

Posted on 1 year ago

My ear generally hears a sharper tone from the Rogers than from the Ludwig. As to value, we'd have to know exactly what kits you are looking at, but normally a 60's kit would carry a higher value. One thing that makes a big difference beyond condition is the finish on the outside of the shells. For example, a Ludwig in oyster pearl is usually more valuable than one in red sparkle. A Rogers in butcher block pearl from the 70's would tend to have a lower value. Put that butcher block finish on the Ludwig and a strata on the Rogers and you might reverse that valuation. That is not to say everyone prefers one or the other, it's just the trend you'll find in values.

Posted on 1 year ago

Dans advice is wise. Sometimes though, particularly in the case of vintage musical gear, it comes down to how the particular instrument makes you feel. I think I play better on drums that I really like. The resale value is of less importance to me. But that’s my opinion which may not be shared by many.

Good luck in your journey!

Josh

Posted on 1 year ago

First, Welcome to our forum! Next, the above two responses are right on! I've owned both Ludwig and Rogers sets from both periods and have loved them all. I will say that Rogers drums from the 60's and early Fullerton years tend to have better craftsmanship all around. That isn't to say that the Ludwig's are inferior, but just that Ludwig was turning out more drums than Rogers and, sometimes, quality control tended to suffer, especially during the "Ringo" years when Ludwig had to increase production to keep up with demand.

Just go with which set "speaks" to you and enjoy your "new" set of vintage drums!

-Mark

Posted on 1 year ago

Find a Sonor teardrop from the same era, you get the best of both worlds, superior sound and build, you can't go wrong.:2Cents:

Posted on 1 year ago

OP,

We can't really advise you until we see clear pictures of what we are talking about. Things like tone can be changed SO easily depending on the drumheads, sticks and even the room in which the drums are heard.

It also depends on what your ultimate objective is in terms of getting a vintage drum set. Collecting? Playing? Decorating?

Those sizes are VERY common and not as collectible as some other sized configurations. It's also extremely unlikely that you will be able to tell mahogany from maple -unless MAYBE every other parameter for comparison is exactly the same...which I would guess is not in the case of your three choices.

Pictures....

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 1 year ago

Ok here are the drum pictures! Basically, I'm looking for a good drum for recording and fooling around, AND to keep it til I'm old.

I'm essentially a guitar player so I won't enter the drum collecting game, have enough guitars and studio gear already... ;)

Thanks

Posted on 1 year ago

Those are all nice kits, but my vote would be for the Ludwig duco, it's from the 60's and looks classy.

Posted on 1 year ago

If that snare drum is included with the Rogers, then it's HANDS-DOWN the Rogers kit for me!

If not, then I'd pick the 70's Ludwig.

The Duco is nice and I'm sure they sound great, too.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 1 year ago

From O-Lugs

If that snare drum is included with the Rogers, then it's HANDS-DOWN the Rogers kit for me!If not, then I'd pick the 70's Ludwig.The Duco is nice and I'm sure they sound great, too.

Same for me. Is that a wood dynasonic?

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 1 year ago
Action Another action Something else here