Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Vintage Slingerland in Walgreens Commercial

Hi all!

I've been seeing this Walgreens TV commercial for some time now and finally snapped a picture with my iPhone. The drums appear to be a vintage Slingerland "Pop Outfit No. 58N". Very cool! While the catalog kit shows a single-head bass drum, I've seen this outfit many times with a double-headed bass drum.

-Mark

Posted on 2 years ago

Nice catch! That kit seems like it's in good condition, too!

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 2 years ago

From O-Lugs

Nice catch! That kit seems like it's in good condition, too!

Yes, it does appear to be in great shape! I wonder where they found it?

-Mark

Posted on 2 years ago

Hawkeye on that Mark. I never would have noticed it to be anything other than a drum set.

Posted on 2 years ago

From Dan Boucher

Hawkeye on that Mark. I never would have noticed it to be anything other than a drum set.

Hey Dan! It took me a few time of seeing the commercial to realize it was a vintage Slingerland set! For the most part, I just don't pay attention to commercials!

Here's a link to the commercial, which was posted by a DFO member...

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/qeeu/walgreens-medicare-prescriptions-not-a-care-in-the-world

-Mark

Posted on 2 years ago

It was probably a prop set left over from the 70's.

Posted on 2 years ago

Or a rental from a vender.

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 2 years ago

I noticed the single-headed toms on the Slingerland drums in this commercial because I always analyze the musical gear in movies, television shows, and commercials. This has been going on for as long as I can remember. I had a great time doing this all through the movie "That Thing You Do". A friend and fellow Fender employee worked with the props and continuity people of the movie's production crew to follow Tom Hanks' insistence on period-correctness in all aspects of the film. My friend sourced and procured the musical gear for all of the various phases of the Wonders' brief and meteoric career. My friend didn't try to include all Fender products, but rather, a good representation of the gear that bands would typically use at the various stages of their careers. The photo of the early stage of the Wonders is one of my favorite pictures. Of course, I love the little natural wood SlingerLeedy drum set that Guy plays. The Silvertone, or Airline, or Danelectro guitar and bass with their respective cheap amps of Lenny and T.B. Player are also very representative of the time portrayed. Jimmy's entry level Gibson guitar and amp were a step above what most beginners played at the time. The progressively better gear from Fender, Rickenbacker, and a fancier Ludwig set was emblematic of the upgrading that the band and individual musicians went through.

1 attachments
No matter how far you push the envelope, it is still stationery.
Posted on 2 years ago

leedybdp!

Concerning "That Thing You Do", I noticed the same in regards to the instruments being period-correct. In contrast, the Ludwig set used in "Back to the Future" is NOT period correct! Check out the tom holder!

-Mark

1 attachments
Posted on 2 years ago

I used to have a set like that in copper back around 1974. It had a bunch of toms. I ordered it from Charlie Donnely's drum shop in Newington CT. and waited a few weeks for Slingerland to make it.

I swear to God that guy in vid pic behind set looks exactly like I did back then lol. But I know its not me.

Weird pic though..BD black hole..drummers face defocused..

Sorry I sold that set..would like to have it now!

Anyone got a link to the actual vid?

Posted on 2 years ago
Action Another action Something else here