Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

Vintage Rogers wrap question

I've been reliably told that the older Rogers 'Sparkle Pearl' finishes are in fact glitters. Am I correct in thinking that 'Sparkle' finishes contain flakes of metal and 'Glitter' finishes contain glass? So to match a 60's Rogers kit in 'Blue Pearl Sparkle' would you want to order something like 'Blue Glitter':

http://www.precisiondrum.com/Blue_Glitter_s.jpg as opposed to 'Blue Sparkle'

http://www.precisiondrum.com/Blue_Sparkle_s.jpg.

Is this right? If you have a 60's Rogers drum in sparkle finish you have had to wrap to match a kit; please post! Thanks very much.

Home Of The Trout
YouTube Channel
Posted on 12 years ago

PS: I just called Sam of Jammin' Sam. Nice guy actually but although he cannot answer my question exactly on matching 'Blue Pearl Sparkle'; he did tell me something interesting to help. He said that if you look at the wrap and all the shiny pieces are even in shape and size; it's sparkle. If the pieces are more or less random in size; it's most likely glitter. I just had a good look at a tom from my kit and all the pieces are random shapes and sizes. Probably lots of folks know this, but there you go. I'd still love to hear from any Rogers wrap experts.

Home Of The Trout
YouTube Channel
Posted on 12 years ago

Yes, Rogers "Sparkle" finishes were all Glass Glitter, with shards of glass embedded into the substrate. An excellent comparison between sparkle and glass glitter finishes can be found here: http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/drcjw/article_4_finishes10.htm

I have both a vintage Slingerland and Ludwig kit with Sparkle finishes and each looks very nice. However, my 1966 Rogers, while technically called Blue Sparkle Pearl, is actually a glass glitter. A close look reveals the shards of glass in the finish. Plus, normal and stage lighting really make glass glitters POP!

Posted on 12 years ago

Rogers and Slingerland both usually ran glass wraps. They called them sparkling pearls, but they were glass (most of the time). Ludwig most always went the non-glass route. Check the cats to ensure absolute correctness for your specific year and maker. These days, even the sparkles are not the same shape as vintage sparkles (usually). The glass is also a bit off to my eyes. Don't get me started on those pukey small chip anemic WMP crap wraps they're pushing out these days. Icky.

What Would You Do
Posted on 12 years ago

> Don't get me started on those pukey small chip anemic WMP crap wraps they're pushing out these days. Icky.

They did the same thing to Black Diamond Pearl, the pattern is so tight it looks nothing like the vintage wrap. Yes, "Icky." It's a shame.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 12 years ago

I think I must be the only one who really likes the small-chip BDP! :) Something about it just really grabs me.

Kits:
1950s Gretsch Name Band in Midnight Blue Pearl (13/16/22/14sn)
1965/66 Ludwig Club Dates rewrapped in Black Diamond Pearl (12/15/20)
Posted on 12 years ago

I prefer the old larger pattern of Black Diamond Pearl that Slingerland (and SlingerLeedy) used. This is my 1963 Shelly Manne set. The subtle nuances and also the more dramatic random patterns of black, sliver, and several shades of gray give the impression of a rich, dark naturally occurring material.

1 attachments
No matter how far you push the envelope, it is still stationery.
Posted on 12 years ago

From leedybdp

I prefer the old larger pattern of Black Diamond Pearl that Slingerland (and SlingerLeedy) used. This is my 1963 Shelly Manne set. The subtle nuances and also the more dramatic random patterns of black, sliver, and several shades of gray give the impression of a rich, dark naturally occurring material.

Man _ Those are freaking gorgeous!!! leedybdp

Playing those would probably be {most times} _ better than sex - but perhaps I am revealing too much. LoLoLoLo

But seriously _ I do LUST after those drums.

Hey leedybdp _ about the Leedy pedal shown with your kit _ is that somewhat like a Slingerland Epic _ seems like it might be the same cradle just a different footboard ??

Regarding the OP and the differeces between glass and glitters I never really understood the exact distiction until now _ but I am relatively new to this game and learn something new everytime I come here.

All Hail to VDF !!!

Ohm

Posted on 12 years ago

The Leedy Shelly Manne pedal is the same as the Slingerland Tempo King pedal, except the Leedy footboard is shaped differently with Shelly Manne's name on the heel plate part. The Tempo King is a refinement of the older Epic model. I think the differences are updates of the connecting mechanism of footboard to frame and the clamp connecting to the hoop. There is also a Leedy hihat which is identical to the Slingerland model except for the footboard.

No matter how far you push the envelope, it is still stationery.
Posted on 12 years ago

OK. Thanks for that L-bdp _ I've been on the hunt for Sligerland pedals and didn't quite know the timeline between the Tempo's and Epic _ so thats good info to know. {Also considering a Yellow Jacket}

Is that your general "go to" pedal _ regarding the feel of it _ how might you compare it to lets say _ a Ghost or Speed King ?

Sorry to temporarly hi-jack the thread.

Ohm

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here