Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

Vintage Pearl hex tom arms...

Any of you Pearl owners know about the older hex arm Pearl offered? Did they offer two different post dimensions from different eras, or is the one in the pic a knock off? I noticed that some that I see for sale stating "thick" post. Any help would be appreciated.

SC

Posted on 10 years ago

It appears, from my own recent observations, that Pearl did in fact have at least two different hex mount thicknesses. Late 60s were thinner, and 70s they came out with a more robust version. Not sure how long they offered either, but don't think it was too long.

LOGOS - Vinyl Bass Drum Brand Logo Decals
http://www.ebay.ca/usr/barrhavendrum...p2047675.l2559

Barrhaven Drum Guy
Posted on 10 years ago

From DaddyNowhere

It appears, from my own recent observations, that Pearl did in fact have at least two different hex mount thicknesses. Late 60s were thinner, and 70s they came out with a more robust version. Not sure how long they offered either, but don't think it was too long.

Thanks DN. Do you know if the early ones (late 60's) were the same design like the one I offered in the photo? I believe they had one early on with a cylindrical top part, but I'm wondering if they had one exactly like mine which has the thinner post. I don't have it on hand so I cant measure the diameter.

Posted on 10 years ago

Here's a pic of the earlier design... with the thinner hex rod.. The later ones (like your pic) had the "Bent" tom hex arm..

Prior to your pic the tom arm sections were straight.

Note that the earlier mounts were still used on Pearl "Maxwin" kits well into the 70's..

Cheers

John

If you need measurement on the later arm.. pm me & I'll dig though some boxes..

1 attachments
'77 Slingerland 51N,Super Rock 24,18,14,13.. COW 8,10 Concert toms
'69 Slingerland Hollywood Ace
'75 Rogers Dynasonic 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'77-78 Slingerland 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'78-79 Slingerland 5 1/4 x14 8 lug COB
'79 Biman 5 1/4, Acrolite
'82 Slingerland 5 1/4 x 14. Festival COS
'84 Tama MasterCraft Superstar 6.5 x 14, 10 lug Rosewood
'98 Slingerland (Music YO) 6" 10 Lug Maple.. NOS
Zildjian, Sabian , UFIP & Paiste mix.
Posted on 10 years ago

From longjohn

Here's a pic of the earlier design... with the thinner hex rod.. The later ones (like your pic) had the "Bent" tom hex arm.. Prior to your pic the tom arm sections were straight. Note that the earlier mounts were still used on Pearl "Maxwin" kits well into the 70's..CheersJohn

Thanks John,

So did Pearl make identicle post like mine with a "thick" and thinner post possibly? My post is thinner and does not adapt/ instal into the mounts of the later 70's.

Posted on 10 years ago

There were as you say "Knock Offs" .. and it's possible that they upgraded the Maxwin ball joint too.. not to sure about that.. I'll look around some catalouges..

Cheers

John

Posted on 10 years ago

Yes they did is the answer... Here's a pic of a Maxwin with the thinner hex arm & the late Ball assy..

Cheers

1 attachments
116.5 kB
Posted on 10 years ago

I've only seen the thicker ones and mine have 4 square headed rods for tightening the adjustments. They seem to have been available from 1970 -73. The catalogs don't seem to show a thinner version so maybe it's a stencil version not used on Pearl branded drums?

...and John has the answer for you while i was typing

1 attachments
Andrew

Golden Curtain
www.myspace.com/garagelandnz
Posted on 10 years ago

From longjohn

Yes they did is the answer... Here's a pic of a Maxwin with the thinner hex arm & the late Ball assy.. Cheers

BINGO! Thanks. Mystery solved. So it is a Pearl made specifically for their Maxwin drums...

Thanks everyone. Help much appreciated.

SC

Posted on 10 years ago

If they in fact had a larger diameter/thickness version of the 4 set-screw swivo-matic imitation (than the same thing in a smaller size consistent with the other barrel-type arm) .... then it is news to me. I have both of these and they seem to be the same size.

BTW - if anybody needs one of these, let me know - I have one of each type.

John

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here