Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Vintage 1958 white marine pearl slingerland set

Hi,

I was about to throw away one of my dads old Slingerland sets. Instead of throwing it away I posted an ad and asked $50 for it. I got tons of replies so I started to do some research. It turns out that it's a rare set from 1958.

Snare drum seems to be a Radio King Single Ply Clam Shell Strainer 8 lug. And the toms are 9x13 and 16x16 and the bass is 14x20.

What do you guys think? Might be worth something more than $50 right? I'm so glad I didn't throw it away. Not because of the money but because it would have been a shame to destroy it. I've uploaded some pictures on the link below.

http://www.nv37.com/litetslingerland/

I'm also selling another set. http://www.nv37.com/svartslingerland/

What do you think about that one?

Probably should sell the Tama toms and the cymbals(Zildjian 16 paper thin crash, Zildjian 25 cm splash, Paiste 2002 20 ride, Paiste 2002 16 crash, Paiste 2002 15, Ufip 16) separately right? The chrome snare on the black set looks pretty hot.

Just interested in your opinions.

Posted on 17 years ago

I would love to buy those!!!

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 17 years ago

Quoted post

I would love to buy those!!!

Actually I'm not selling the WMP 58's right now. I'm just curious about them. What they could be worth and their history.

The black set will go one sale pretty soon though. I'm not sure how to do it. If I should split it up or sell it all together. And if I split it up, how?

Posted on 17 years ago

In my humble opinion, the black drumset should be sold as the whole kit. I suggest selling the Tama toms with the stands by themselves. The cymbals could be sold individually as well as the cymbal stands. I would include the stands for the kit and the snare with the kit, as well as any stand that hold toms. For shipping, most of the toms are single headed, you can nest one inside the other for ease of shipping. Just make sure that you put some sort of buffer between the drums when nesting.

If you need anymore advice, feel free to contact me at [email]backbeatkeeper@hotmail.com[/email]

Best Regards,

Gary

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 17 years ago

And what do you think about the WMP 58's? Needs some work but I think they can turn out great.

Posted on 17 years ago

Shoot me an email at my address provided in the thread and I'll tell ya more.

Posted on 17 years ago

Ok after looking through the slingerland book I stumbled upon 2 kits it could be.

1. The modern jazz outfit 5.5x14 snare 14x20 bass 16x16 floor tom BUT an 8x12 tom...

2. The Gene Krupa deluxe ensemble all the right sizes except for a 14x22 bass drum!

So this must have had a special order bass drum... The hardware is all correct for it though ( I double checked for you). Hopefully DrCJW can help us out.

Harrison
Posted on 17 years ago

Quoted post

Ok after looking through the slingerland book I stumbled upon 2 kits it could be.1. The modern jazz outfit 5.5x14 snare 14x20 bass 16x16 floor tom BUT an 8x12 tom...2. The Gene Krupa deluxe ensemble all the right sizes except for a 14x22 bass drum! So this must have had a special order bass drum... The hardware is all correct for it though ( I double checked for you). Hopefully DrCJW can help us out.

Thanks for checking my set out. Seems like I've made a typo. The floor tom is actually 16x18.

If someone have a book I'm also wondering what type of pedals, cymbal stands and cymbals I need to make this set true to it's era and brand.

Posted on 17 years ago

OK

Your cymbal stand is #33f in the catalog. It was a new product in 1958 and was in the catalog until 1976, so it seems this stand is original to the set.

Next up is the hihat stand. You seem to have the Slingerland "Dynamo" which is dated to 1969-1979 which would make it non original to the set.

The Krupa hihat stand or the proffesional hihat stand would go with your set.

Lastly the pedal seems to be from 1979. The AA pedal in blue or the Epic pedal would go with your set.

The book that I am getting this information from is The Slingerland Book by Rob Cook. Its a great book and I suggest you buy it. oh, I think the kit was a special order item because of the odd sizing. And if your ever interested in selling it I am interested in buying. :)

Harrison

Harrison
Posted on 17 years ago

I think the set was probaby a 20, 13, snare and the floor tom was added later...a common practice in the '50s and '60s. The six holes on the top of your bass drum are from internal mufflers. It seems Slingerland installed a lot of them in 1958, as most of those internal mufflers I've seen were on basses of that year.

BTW, you've got the spurs on the wrong side, and the tom mount set up kind of backwards...

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here