Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

Update: Premier 71 (-73) Moon project

I've been working on putting together a black Moon set for the past several months.

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=25814

I got most of the kit together and have been adding/refining hardware, etc and working on replicating the custom mounting plates used to support the Rogers tom mounts and the kick spurs.

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=25626

While I had initially planned on stopping with the basic 1971 Who's Next era kit (2-22x14 kicks; 3-14x8 toms; 3-16" floors) I figured, what the heck, why not have the option to build out the kit to its full 1973 Quadrophenia era glory.

So I've lately been working to get my hands on some concert toms and tom stands. Not an easy find in either case, but the chase is half the fun, right.

Here is a shot of the additions to date: three of the four needed concerts: 14x10 (no stand yet); 15x12; and the ridiculous 16x16! Still on the hunt for a 13x9 and a second 318 LokFast double tom stand. Then rewrap. (Second kick is out with a buddy who is helping with the mounting plates).

Gotta get a bigger house or get rid of one or two of my kids . . .

Lee

1 attachments
Posted on 12 years ago

Hey Lee the kit is lookin good~! That 16x16 concert tom is crazy!! I was wondering how things were going thanks for the update.

Glenn.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 12 years ago

The four orphaned concert toms, stipped and prepped and ready for black wrap on order from Precision. 13x9; 14x10; 15x12; 16x16.

Found a second 318 double tom stand so kit expansion is coming together.

Posted on 12 years ago

Concert toms re-wrapped and mounted on 318 stands.

Lee

2 attachments
Posted on 12 years ago

Beautiful!

Posted on 12 years ago

Lee they look fantastic. I remember seeing a Premier ad in Down Beat mag many years ago with Keith Moon playing his set just like this one. All those toms are just wicked cool~! Great job. Cool1

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 12 years ago

Lee,

That is pretty outstanding! Did anyone ever make a cooler looking stand than a Premier Lokfast? I think not. I do have a couple of questions:

a.) How do you go about finishing the bottom of the wrap on a concert tom?

b.) Have you figured out to physically reach the concert tom row while playing?

tnsquint
Very proud owner of a new Blaemire Snare 6.5 x 14 made by Jerry Jenkins "Drumjinx"
Posted on 12 years ago

tnsquint:

Thanks. Yes, the LokFast gear is so cool looking. When all the cymbal stands and the hi-hat stand are set up, it's impressive. And Premier's chrome work stands up pretty well to the test of time.

As to the bottom edge of the concerts, I just tried to get a nice clean edge of the wrap a little bit above the bearing edge when I was putting the wrap on.

As to reaching the toms, it is a bit of an aerobic event now. Kind of sitting at the edge of the throne and reaching out a bit. Still a work in progress to get around the toms, but they sound amazing.

Should be getting my custom mount plates back from the chrome plater next week.

Lee

Posted on 12 years ago

The kit is finally "DONE"?!?! in the sense that it is as complete as I can make it at the moment; it will do for now. There are some things I would like to change/improve and I may down the road, but for now here it is.

The basic kit is comprised of the following vintage Premier drums:

2-22x14 kicks

3-14x8 mounted toms

2-16x16 floors

1-16x18 floor

The snare is a great sounding vintage 14x5 Ludwig Supraphonic

The cymbals are all Paiste 2002 (16, 18, 20") except for the hi-hat (which I need to upgrade). All the cymbals are mounted on LokFast stands.

The kick pedals are 2 Premier 250s.

The stool is an old Premier red top.

The rack toms are mounted using Rogers Swiv-o-matic hardware, two double tom mounts drummer's right and two single tom mounts drummers left.

The custom mounting plates under the Rogers tom mounts and the kick spurs were fabricated by me and a good buddy of mine to replicate plates on the original kit.

I show the kit in two configurations, circa late 1972 when the second Rogers S-O-M double tom mount was added to the kick drummer's right and the second single Rogers S-O-M tom mount was added to the kick drummer's left.

Then I show the kit is its 1973-era form with the addition of the 4 concert toms: 13x9, 14x10, 15x12 and 16x16, mounted on two Premier 318 LokFast stands.

I want to thank all the folks here and out there in the ether who offered assistance, encouragement, advice and drum parts large and small for this project. It's been a real blast working on it.

I hope you enjoy the pictures.

Lee

3 attachments
Posted on 12 years ago

With the concert toms.

2 attachments
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here