Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.65344%

Unique Acrylic set,c.late 50's

This set purportedly originated in San Diego, made in the late 50's. This set is not only visually unusual, but has some finely executed, unique engineering. The bass mounted toms rotate indepedently to provide different combinations. The Timpani snare has a pedal that works a conical insert in & out of the bottom of the timpani to change the sound. The snare wires are under the head. All lugs are gold tone Slingerland Beavertail, All heads are Radio King & Leedy calf skin, except the bass resonant head (Remo). Bass is 17 1/2 X18", toms are 12" head over 6" head X12" deep,& 14" Head over 8" head X 12" deep. The curved bongo toms are 6" & 8" heads X 10" deep. The timpani snare is 14" head X 10 1/2" deep. The rail, mounting systems, rotating hub, & Timpani pedal mechanism are all expertly machined out of aluminum.

1 attachments
76.9 kB
Posted on 12 years ago

close up of Mounted toms, bongo toms, Timpani snare.

4 attachments
Posted on 12 years ago

What an incredible looking kit! Looks like a cross between an acrylic kit and achemistry set!

Tama Superstar, 22, 22, 16, 14, 13 Desert Burst
Premier Genista, 22, 16, 13, 12 Black Lacquer
Premier Genista, 20, 14, 10 and snare Black Lacquer
Premier Resonator 22, 16, 14, 13 poly creme/black
Zickos 22, 16, 14, 13, clear acrylic and snare
Posted on 12 years ago

That's about the coolest and most unique set I've ever seen. How do they sound?

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 12 years ago

very unusual. Are the snare wires under the batter?

Posted on 12 years ago

Wow!!!!! Who made those?

tnsquint
Very proud owner of a new Blaemire Snare 6.5 x 14 made by Jerry Jenkins "Drumjinx"
Posted on 12 years ago

This kit is truly Amazing.

Do you have it in your posession now?

Who do you think made it or owned it?

That is the best thing I have seen in awhile

Thanks SA

BLAEMIRE DRUMS
Thanks to Mr. Jerry Jenkins
Posted on 12 years ago

I acquired this set in the mid nineties at a swapmeet in Pasadena. At the time I was working w/ Roy Harte at Drum City in Hollywood. Roy said he remembered someone in the late fifties from San Diego who would visit the shop regularly to pick up buckets of lugs which had been removed from old large trade-in bass drums & sets. This person was using acrylic scraps from the naval yard to fashion drum sets using whatever lugs he had available. The drum set design was fashioned from whatever acrylic shapes he could scavenge. The aluminum parts, & moving mechanisms were all uniquely designed, machined, & finished to a masterful level of skill. The bass functions like a normal instrument, but I keep the toms & snare tuned very loose, due to the small acrylic hoops, which I believe will not stand much tension. I also have to avoid hitting the rims.

Posted on 12 years ago

Looks like the inspiration for Molecules drums.

Posted on 12 years ago

The first thing that came to mind was some kind of smokeing apparatus !!

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here